loumeinhart

drug testing for welfare recipients

people using welfare money to buy drugs perhaps shouldn't be on welfare if they have so much extra money that they can afford to buy drugs.

Show me how people are using welfare money to buy drugs?
In the past welfare was doled out in the form of a check. That system was widely abused. The State debit card addressed this issue of abuse. The debit card allows for only certain items to be purchased. Hence, no tobacco, alcohol (the most widely abused drug in the U.S.), or non-nutritional food items. It does allow for hygiene products, but no DVD rentals or any other type of entertainment items.
Also, who is to say that the marijuana (or other drugs such as alcohol, tobacco, or crack) was purchased with a welfare debit card? As far as I know, drug dealers do not accept this type of payment. Also, one most produce identification to use the cards.
This is "feel good, I'm tough on crime" knee jerk legislation that has been kicked around for more than 20 years.
I say, let's drug test politicians on a daily basis. Not only for drugs, but for alcohol, tobacco products, as well as for unhealthy, fattening food. A fair number of them in MO. have been busted over the years. They receive tax dollars, they need to be held to a higher standard if they wish to test the rest of us and stay in their cushioned jobs.

they also suck off the government teat. test 'em. I'm all for it. alcohol? tobacco? not illegal, but make them pay more for the insurance my tax dollars cover.

You're on the right track. Suck on the government teat? get tested. works for me.
--
Rob

easy substitution - other money that would have been spent on rent and food can now be spent on drugs.

This is "feel good, I'm tough on crime" knee jerk legislation that has been kicked around for more than 20 years.

nonetheless, this point is still 100% true. Testing welfare recipients is sound bite legislation. It won't accomplish savings, will in fact cost more money overall. It won't stop drug use.

I would hope it might encourage getting folks off of welfare. I could care less about their drug use.
--
Rob

http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/States-eye-drug-tests-for-welfare-recipients-1374095.php#page-2

I googled the article after catching this on the Maddow show last night.

There are plenty of unanswered questions like cost/savings over time.

Thoughts?

Thought? Ok, here's one.
If we are going to ban certain drugs then let's stop pussy-footing around. To hell with catching the importers & dealers. They will only be replaced before they spend one night in jail at taxpayer expense. No, what we need to do is reduce the demand to as close to zero as we can. "How" you ask? Easy!
We intercept drug shipments. Size doesn't matter, an ounce or a ton, just intercept them but without the trafficers knowledge. Then we randomly spike the entire catch with Warfarin. Won't be long until nobody will touch anything they didn't grow or make themselves and all the hardcore junkies are dead.

Of course we could just legalize it all and tax the livin' shit out of it.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

It won't stop drug use.

True. It will just cost more for the crimes they now will commit to get money for drugs if they get denied welfare. Wasting more money and time with police, the courts, jails, ect.

Let them do drugs. Why produce more crime with more legislation.

alcohol? tobacco? not illegal, but make them pay more for the insurance my tax dollars cover.

Should this then be policy for everyone who drinks, smokes, or engage in any activity that is a danger to a persons well being whether they are on the government dime or not? Should people who do not drink pay the same premiums that a drinker pays. Use alcohol and your premiums should be far greater than the person who does not drink? Same with smoking. I'm on my third week without a smoke. I don't drink. The most dangerous things I do is skydive and ride a motorcycle. As for skydiving, I know a number of people who have injured themselves and lied to the insurance company about how the injury occurred. They never mentioned that it happened skydiving. Bottom line, does it really matter what you were doing when you were injured? As for drug testing, should we lump a certain segment of society into a classification that force them to submit to testing at the expense of the taxpayers? How many people do you believe they will catch? Will it be worth the millions (if not billions) of dollars to snare a few? My opinion is no it will not be worth the overall cost as it will only push us further into a prison society. History has proven that we cannot legislate our way out of a problem, no matter how small or large that problem may be.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

History has proven that we cannot legislate our way out of a problem, no matter how small or large that problem may be.

Sure we can...and have.
One example: We used to have a problem with mine owners creating dangerous working conditions for miners. Thanks to legislation that huge problem has been mostly eliminated.
One more: We used to have a problem of meat that was unfit for human consumption intentionally being sold to unsuspecting customers. Legislation has turned that around so that today it is a rare event when an unsafe cut of meat is sold.
Eliminating a law just because people break it doesn't eliminate the problems associated with the act whether legal or not. Just because people speed doesn't mean we don't need speed limits.
HAMMER:

Sure we can...and have.
One example: We used to have a problem with mine owners creating dangerous working conditions for miners. Thanks to legislation that huge problem has been mostly eliminated.

No, it has not.
Coal and other mining companies delinquent in paying penalties are a problem for the Mine Safety and Health Administration and the Treasury Department. MSHA had "16,438 penalty cases with $56 million in unpaid, delinquent penalties on Feb. 25, 2011 by operators, contractors and individuals," Mine Safety and Health News reports.
http://irjci.blogspot.com/2011/04/delinquent-penalties-for-mine-safety.html

The problem is so bad that some feel that more legislation is needed.
http://inthesetimes.com/working/entry/7301/congressman_another_disaster_needed_to_pass_mine_safety_legislation/
They can legislate the coal out of their butts, but unless companies do the right thing and comply, not much will change. The mining industry has a huge lobby and deep pockets. They'll fight anything that comes their way. The only thing that will make safety the foremost concern is actual prison time for owners and operators. Merely threats of huge fines do nothing as they are held up in appeals.

We used to have a problem of meat that was unfit for human consumption intentionally being sold to unsuspecting customers. Legislation has turned that around so that today it is a rare event when an unsafe cut of meat is sold.

You only need to do a search to see that legislation has done very little to curb the problem of tainted food on the market. ConAgra is one of the biggest violators. Mere fines do little to curb the problem. Again, owner/operators need to step up and put public safety ahead of profits. Actual prison time for violators is needed as fines do very little to sway them to do the right thing.

Just because people speed doesn't mean we don't need speed limits.

True. And fines do very little to sway people to drive safely. At least once a day, I have to take pervasive actions to avoid being hit by a cager. Several weeks ago I had 5 near hits in less than 30 minutes. One was a young woman pulling out of the McDonald's. She was talking on a cell phone. Forced me to take the oncoming lane. I let her know how I felt about that. I was not very nice with my choice of words. Fuck her. Less than 5 minutes later, going through one of the few traffic lights in town on Mount Vernon Blvd. (same road the McD is on) an older woman turned left on me. I chased that cunt down and gave her the finger along with a few choice words. Pulling out of the bank minutes later, some asswipe decided he needed my lane more than I did. He rolled up his window and refused to talk to me. He had to back up as my bike was blocking him. I'm sure he heard every word I said. Less than a few minute later some dickhead pulled out of the Casey's in front of me. This dick puller was looking down. I'm sure he was probably texting. I pulled alongside him and let him know exactly what I thought of him causing me to swerve around his rust bucket truck. At the grocery store parking lot minutes later, granny-can't-drive just about took me out as she cut between cars and pulled into my path. I'm sure she heard words that she has never heard before. My point? if a cop were to pull these idiots over, all they would get is a ticket, if even that. I much rather chain whip some sense into their skulls, but then that would make me a criminal. Legislation does very little to curb a problem, unless real consequence is attached to their actions. But, how much sense would it make to fill the jails with bad drivers. It would make no sense and it would be very costly to the taxpayers as well as lost time on the job. We really cannot legislate away problems. Real solutions are needed. I'm not real sure what those solution should be. I do know that fines and even prison has done next to nothing as our prisons are overcrowded and the problems are still rampant.
Neil Young

You really have no clue how good things are today compared to times past.
Neither the mining nor meat industries are perfect, but the problems with them are miniscule compared to what they were 100 years ago thanks to LEGISLATION.
Sounds to me like your problems with traffic start mostly behind the handlebars. I've put almost 2000 miles on my bike in the last month, mostly in the rain, on everything from narrow country roads to 8 lane interstates and had no problems at all, not even in town. Funny how some people have all the problems, isn't it?
HAMMER:

It won't stop drug use.

True. It will just cost more for the crimes they now will commit to get money for drugs if they get denied welfare. Wasting more money and time with police, the courts, jails, ect.

did you just propose paying criminals to not commit crimes?
--
Rob

The point being made here is that welfare recipients are being paid by the tax payers.

Let the person who has never benefited from ANYTHING supported by taxpayer $$$ be exempted then. All others get tested. Went to state school or university - get tested. Travel on public roads, get tested. Travel on public transport - get tested. Fly out of a publicly funded airport - get tested. Live in a town with a police and/or fire department - get tested. File a lawsuit - get tested...

do any of the above without paying taxes currently? get tested.

paying taxes is paying for all the above services. welfare is free money to help people get out of a bad situation.

I'd figured you'd have thought through your kneejerk response a little more.

Very subtle attempt to change the parameters of your previous poorly thought out position hoping, I'm sure, that no-one would notice the shift.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

people using welfare money to buy drugs perhaps shouldn't be on welfare if they have so much extra money that they can afford to buy drugs.

In the past welfare was doled out in the form of a check. That system was widely abused. The State debit card addressed this issue of abuse. The debit card allows for only certain items to be purchased. Hence, no tobacco, alcohol (the most widely abused drug in the U.S.), or non-nutritional food items. It does allow for hygiene products, but no DVD rentals or any other type of entertainment items.
Also, who is to say that the marijuana (or other drugs such as alcohol, tobacco, or crack) was purchased with a welfare debit card? As far as I know, drug dealers do not accept this type of payment. Also, one most produce identification to use the cards.
I say, let's drug test politicians on a daily basis. Not only for drugs, but for alcohol, tobacco products, as well as for unhealthy, fattening food. A fair number of them in MO. have been busted over the years. They receive tax dollars, they need to be held to a higher standard if they wish to test the rest of us and stay in their cushioned jobs.

they also suck off the government teat. test 'em. I'm all for it. alcohol? tobacco? not illegal, but make them pay more for the insurance my tax dollars cover.

At some level everyone benefits from government spending which is ultimately paid for by taxpayers, yourself included.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Sounds to me like your problems with traffic start mostly behind the handlebars. I've put almost 2000 miles on my bike in the last month, mostly in the rain, on everything from narrow country roads to 8 lane interstates and had no problems at all, not even in town. Funny how some people have all the problems, isn't it?

I've been riding for 46 years. 35 of those years have been on the street since 1976. I have only two accidents. One, I hit a squirrel at Otay Lake, in a curve at around 70-80mph. My fault as we were racing when we should not had been. 2nd one, I was rear-ended by a drunk at a stop light. I ride daily. I have more miles under my ass than you will ever have. I raced motocross as a child and as a teenager. In the 60's, I raced a 1967 Suzuki 80. In 1970, I moved up to a Hodaka Super Rat. 1973, I raced a Yamaha 125MX and then a 175MX. My last motocross bike was a CZ 380. My first street bike was a Honda CB 360, then a Kawasaki 750. 1980 was my Sportster/Roadster. I then built my rigid Norton 750, which I still have. It is now a stroked 938. My next bike was my 1975 shovel that I built from parts. I parted that bike out and bought a brand new 91 FLSTF. My current sled is my '05 FLSTFI. I have rode through near every state as well as down to Cabo San Lucas at the tip of the Baja of California. I have rode with a patch on my back in two clubs and have affiliation with several others and earned 1%er status. I doubt you have anywhere near the experience and skills that I have on a motorcycle. I won't even argue this.

Neither the mining nor meat industries are perfect, but the problems with them are miniscule compared to what they were 100 years ago thanks to LEGISLATION.

Comparing today with 100 years ago is just plain ridiculous. But, if you wish to, I'll insert that it was the unions that pushed the change. Yet, unions can only do so much. It is the owner/operators who need to step up and make it actually happen.
Neil Young

We really cannot legislate away problems. Real solutions are needed. I'm not real sure what those solution should be. I do know that fines and even prison has done next to nothing as our prisons are overcrowded and the problems are still rampant.

True. That's a conservative idea. Some folks believe in ideas where all problems are solved. It just isn't realistic.

I say don't drug test the foodstampers. Why? Because it further legitimises the welfare system.

I've been riding over 30 years.
Never needed a patch on my back or to wear colors. I've always been able to stand on my own, thank you very much. ;)
You had more close calls in one day than I've had my entire life. I suggest you work on situational awareness. And anger managment.
Back to legislation. Just where do you think mine safety would be today if not for legislation forcing change? What of food safety? USDA inspections of processing plants, etc. are a result of legislation, not daydreams.
Virtually every aspect of our lives is better now than 100 years ago because of laws and regulations that require the products and actions of people and corporations to meet minimum standards.
You say legislation never has and won't solve problems. I say it has and does all the time. You just refuse to see it.

HAMMER:

At some level everyone benefits from government spending which is ultimately paid for by taxpayers, yourself included.

You are correct.
I'm happing paying for infrastructure/highways/national defense/FCC/FAA. maybe USDA and EPA

Unfortunately I still have to give the State and Fed govt money to buy other people's food. That's just weird and I don't like it.

It's hard to take my girlfriend out to dinner when the Feds take money from my paycheck to feed other people. - I'm just not down with that.

We really cannot legislate away problems. Real solutions are needed. I'm not real sure what those solution should be. I do know that fines and even prison has done next to nothing as our prisons are overcrowded and the problems are still rampant.

True. That's a conservative idea. Some folks believe in ideas where all problems are solved. It just isn't realistic.

I say don't drug test the foodstampers. Why? Because it further legitimises the welfare system.

I think you need to start with a drug test for all the holier than thou conservatard pontificators as epitomized by Lush Rimjob.

I mean they are the ones who caused a nose candy aficionado who was so afraid of getting caught that he did not even show up for his flight physical and then deserted... to then be elected governor of Texas and President of the United States. Past performance showed just how fucked up in the head he is but they still voted for him

"I mean they are the ones who caused a nose candy wacky weed aficionado who was so afraid of getting caught military duty that he did not even show up for his flight physical lied though his teeth and then deserted hid... to then be elected governor of Texas Arkansas and President of the United States. Past performance showed just how fucked up in the head he is but they morons still voted for him."

Works both ways, Darlin'. ;)

HAMMER:

"I mean they are the ones who caused a nose candy wacky weed aficionado who was so afraid of getting caught military duty that he did not even show up for his flight physical lied though his teeth and then deserted hid... to then be elected governor of Texas Arkansas and President of the United States. Past performance showed just how fucked up in the head he is but they morons still voted for him."

Works both ways, Darlin'. ;)

So.. what were those deficit numbers under him as opposed to your coke head hero again??

I've been riding over 30 years.
Never needed a patch on my back or to wear colors. I've always been able to stand on my own, thank you very much. Wink
You had more close calls in one day than I've had my entire life. I suggest you work on situational awareness. And anger managment.

I don't expect the motorcycle enthusiast and others to understand the biker lifestyle. I really do not give a fuck. Merely riding a motorcycle does not make someone a biker. I am a biker and damn proud of it. Gypsy is a biker. I knew Gypsy back in the early '80's in San Diego. Left S.D. after a short stint in Descanso. The majority of my friends are bikers. Some still wear colors. I was recently asked to come prospect for the H.A. in St. Louis. turned it down. Told Johnny B that my clubber days are over. I rode with the Road Saints M.C. back in the '80's (first met them while working at Frank Muirs Texaco near North City area in 1975. They gave me work at For Bikers Only screen printing biker shirts) and early '90's as well as the Brotherhood in Texas. The Road Saints came out of of the Bone Shakers M.C.. Many of the Bone Shakers became El Forasteros from out of Iowa and Kansas City. The late and great David Mann was an El Forastero and this club was mostly responsible for the racked styled chopper. Many of the St. Louis El Forasteros became Saddle Tramps. This caused friction between the Road Saints and the Saddle Tramps. Turf wars broke out at the old Rainbow Lounge on St. Charles Rock Road in the '70's and carried over to Froggy's on the East side in the '80's. Due to a shooting when a Saddle Tramp unloaded a pump shotgun through a window one night after Dink flashed his gun at one of them after they started shit with us, Mexico Joe now has a very strict policy of no weapons, including knifes. He waves the wand on you before you can enter. It was a Saddle Tramp who shot me at John Wayne's Corral, a tavern on St. Louis Ave. and Blair in Hyde Park in North City. I stabbed that fuck head. Wish I had killed him. Honestly, you wouldn't last a mile with these guys, given your attitude (I know that you would never want anything to do with true bikers.) Chances are they would stomp your ass and take your bike. Hell, you should had seen what the El Forasteros did to a Bandito in Wichita, KS. when he refused to remove his colors on their turf. They cut his bike into pieces in a parking lot. You do not fuck with them and you give them the respect that they deserve when on their turf. I hung up the patch some years back.
My bad day on main street was due to idiots not paying attention. I ride as if every cage is aiming for me and keep my head on the swivel. Anger management? I'll let someone know that they fucked up if they cut me off. You claim that you had less than 5 close calls in 30 years. I call bullshit. You are either a liar or you have very few miles off of the street you live on. I was tough and very mean in my younger days. I grew up in the Ferguson/Jennings area in St. Louis and mostly worked in the North St. Louis area as a teenager. Anyone who is familiar with this area can tell you that you have to be tough in order to survive riding on those streets. I don't expect you to understand my world. I imagine that you are a dues paying member of the A.M.A.. I know what they think of the 1%er. Fuck them.
Hell, I met a Boozefighter about a month ago and was invited to ride with them. I had no idea that any of them were even in the Midwest. I was surprised to see one of them here in Mount Vernon at the gas station. The BFMCs are the ones who first claimed the title 1%er after the A.M.A. denounced them after Wino Willie decided to join a race by crashing through a fence to get on the track. That and the Hollister 4th of July incident. The BFMC started the "outlaw biker" lifestyle. I wouldn't have it any other way. It was fun and a hell of a ride.

Now, done with that. Back to legislation

Just where do you think mine safety would be today if not for legislation forcing change? What of food safety? USDA inspections of processing plants, etc. are a result of legislation, not daydreams.

Much of the laws put in place came from unions pushing for change. Even still, processing plants try hard to get around the law. The recent nation wide egg recall is evidence of this. More than half a billion eggs had to be destroyed. The conditions in the hen plants were a disgrace. The owner ignored every law in place. This and many other recent recalls of food as started more legislation. It may work for a short period, but owner/operators will find ways to ignore them if they cut into their profits.
I understand that you feel that more laws are the answer to everything. I say you are wrong. More drug laws will not work. More mine safety laws will not work, and more food safety laws will not work. Hell. speed limit laws do not work. When I am doing 70mph down highway 44, I am being passed by everyone from teenagers to old ladies. Assholes will drive right up your ass if you do not move out of their way. Back in the day, I use to carry heavy ball bearings to put through radiators of people who would tail-gate me on the freeway. That and my long handle ball peen hammer for smacking cars that cut me off. Think what you will of that. I don't give a fuck. Laws are only good if people abide by them. Truth is, I'm just as guilty. I assume, you are too, as is anyone reading this. These days, however, I do mind my P's & Q's, mostly. Given the chance, I will crank her past 100mph.

You say legislation never has and won't solve problems. I say it has and does all the time. You just refuse to see it.

I do agree that some laws are needed. Yet, stacking laws on top of laws is an indication that legislation is not the cure all answer to a problem. The cure is for all of us to pull our heads from our ass's and to pay the utmost attention to what is happening around us. Given the recent spell of landing fatalities, would you say that legislation is needed to stop the carnage? I will say no. What is needed is for people to obey the BSR's that are in place already. Adding legislation would would only serve to hinder our sport. It is really that simple. Pay attention and do what is right.
Neil Young

It won't stop drug use.

did you just propose paying criminals to not commit crimes?

I didn't propose it, its just the way it works out. Say shelters didn't feed our homeless if they were to test positive for drugs, they'd be stealing food to survive (more crime).

The problem with the EBT cards in California (don't know about elsewhere) is that I've seen a few times at checkout, the EBT user gets asked by the clerk if they want cash back, then hands them cash. A first step would be to eliminate getting cash.

Why do you post your entire riding/gang member history? It has nothing to do with the debate and I really don't give a fuck about your lifestyle. Maybe an attempt to justify giving a very narrow definition to the word "biker" that fits what you think it should be? Guess what...being a biker is not defined by what make of bike you ride, where you live, how much you make, what clothes you wear, or who you hang out with. Do I consider myself to be a biker? Yep. But I'm not affiliated with any club or gang, I don't wear leather to fit in, I wear it because it's the best overall protection, I wear a helmet 90% of the time, I don't drink beer very often and I like puppies and kittens. I think helmet laws for young and/o ineperienced riders are a good thing and I think the slogan "Loud Pipes Save Lives" is the biggest line of bullshit since the rodea hit town.

Sure the unions have been behind the push for most legislation that brought about major changes in workplace conditions, but that is moot. The point is that legislation is what brought about the change. Without that the unions may as well have been yelling into a coffee can.
HAMMER:

When does it stop ?
next it could be testing for ... (fill in the blank)

If you are trying to get people off welfare . then i suggest limiting their time in receiving it and making them work for their benefits or anything but taking away our right to probable cause and unreasonable search and seizure .

stop taking away our freedom .[:/]

I see the entire problem with the welfare system as being very simple. Very little is done to differentiate between those who can not work and those who will not work.
HAMMER:

The point being made here is that welfare recipients are being paid by the tax payers.

Let the person who has never benefited from ANYTHING supported by taxpayer $$$ be exempted then. All others get tested. Went to state school or university - get tested. Travel on public roads, get tested. Travel on public transport - get tested. Fly out of a publicly funded airport - get tested. Live in a town with a police and/or fire department - get tested. File a lawsuit - get tested...

do any of the above without paying taxes currently? get tested.

paying taxes is paying for all the above services. welfare is free money to help people get out of a bad situation.

I'd figured you'd have thought through your kneejerk response a little more.

Very subtle attempt to change the parameters of your previous poorly thought out position hoping, I'm sure, that no-one would notice the shift.

you say shift the parameters, I say better define my position.

get benefit without paying for it? piss in the cup. You pay for it? well, then it's not really free is it.
--
Rob

yes, and I am currently paying more into the system than I extract from it.
--
Rob