wayneflorida

Burn the flag; freedom of speech

the Hippie....

He wasn't a "hippie", just because a bunch of people called him that. But the fact that, trying to be pejorative, those people called him a term that has been out of date for almost 40 years speaks volumes about them.

the Hippie....

He wasn't a "hippie", just because a bunch of people called him that. But the fact that, trying to be pejorative, those people called him a term that has been out of date for almost 40 years speaks volumes about them.

Whatever makes the self-righteous feel good about themselves. Something like Merle Haggard singing about being an Okie from Muskogee while shoveling cocaine up his nose.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Whatever makes the self-righteous feel good about themselves. Something like Merle Haggard singing about being an Okie from Muskogee while shoveling cocaine up his nose.

I have a copy of the Grateful Dead covering that song. Awesome, "We don't take our trips on LSD"
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I have a copy of the Grateful Dead covering that song. Awesome, "We don't take our trips on LSD"

I forgot about that one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DvA1ueZO_0

And of course the response to Merle's classic. It's a cover, but a good one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S692Flnd9k
Neil Young

Uh.. I am a tad more than that. I have fought for my country. deployed three times. I have walked the walk sir, and thanks to the sacrifices of a LOT of servicemen and women I will talk the talk. Don't burn the flag in my presence. Period

Uh.. I am a tad more than that. I have fought for my country. deployed three times. I have walked the walk sir, and thanks to the sacrifices of a LOT of servicemen and women I will talk the talk. Don't burn the flag in my presence. Period

So, you are willing to assault and cause bodily harm or even kill a person for exercising their right to burn a flag? If so, that would make you a criminal and not worthy to wear a uniform in our military. I don't like it when someone burns the flag, but I did not join the military to protect the flag. I joined to protect the rights of the people, regardless of what those rights are.
Neil Young

the Hippie....

When a bunch of college students call another student a Hippie, I think they would know.:)

You don't see that by denying someone their constitutional right to burn a flag, you're actively suppressing the very freedoms that you presumably fought to protect?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

the Hippie....

When a bunch of college students call another student a Hippie, I think they would know.:)

I had forgotten about this incident.:)The Greatest Play In Baseball - Rick Monday Saves U.S. Flag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV8QPQAhxo

Call me what you like its a free countryB|

But according to your earlier post in this thread, it's NOT a free country because you would do violence to anyone in your presence who carried out their right as a free citizen to burn a US flag.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Sigh.. Its like this try to track with me. The flag is a symbol that a lot of people highly respect. It is a symbol of the sacrifices that people have made over the years for their country. When it is burned it is akin to pissing on the graves of the fallen, and on the sacrifices made. Do you have the right to brun it... absoultey. And I have the right to disagree with your burning it. If my disagreeing with the burning of the flag means me stopping you from burning it..thats the way it goes.

the Hippie....

...which would imply that college students are astutely immune from the Neanderthal, reactionary thinking into which they were born and bred. I don't think so. You can take the boy outta the bayou, but you can't take the bayou outta the boy.

Sigh.. Its like this try to track with me. The flag is a symbol that a lot of people highly respect. It is a symbol of the sacrifices that people have made over the years for their country. When it is burned it is akin to pissing on the graves of the fallen, and on the sacrifices made. Do you have the right to brun it... absoultey. And I have the right to disagree with your burning it. If my disagreeing with the burning of the flag means me stopping you from burning it..thats the way it goes.

First off, addressing your post to myself, I did not call you anything.
Second, addressing this posting of yours, I burn the American flag, at least, once a week. A few days ago, a flyer came in the mail that had the American flag on it. I looked at it and saw that it was an advertisement for some cable company. I crumpled it up and tossed it in the garbage. It went into the burn can and was burned with the rest of the garbage. Would you try and hurt me for burning a symbol on my own property? Do you realize that I have the right to defend myself against an act of aggression upon myself by a person attempting to do bodily harm to me on my own property?
http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5630000031.HTM
Even so, outside my property I have the right to protect myself from an aggressor. You, on the other hand, have zero rights to attack another person.
You have absolutely no rights in this matter.
Neil Young

This would make you a criminal. But not only would you be a criminal, you'd be a hypocrite. Didn't you take some sort of oath to defend the constitution? If yes, then why would you do the opposite?

Free speech (which includes the act of burning a flag) is constitutionally protected.

So on the one hand you say people have the right to do it, then on the other hand you say that you would forcibly stop people from doing it. Which is it?

Edit: spelling.

Free speech (which includes the act of burning a flag) is constitutionally protected.

I find burning the flag as 'free speech' to be idiotic. Or at least, idiotic speech. Just more directly than that lame (and worn out and emotional) argument - it is private property - and if someone wants to burn their private property, then internet tough guys that try to physically harm that person needs to be jailed.

In my military service, we supported people's rights to do what they want to with their stuff. We even supported peoples rights to 'idiotic version of whatever they think is speech'

I hate to see the flag burned as some impotent demonstration, more than most. One-because it's special to me; two-that form of so-called 'speech' is childish, lazy, and not ever really thought out at all. But if it's not my flag, then it's not my business.

I REALLY hate supporting KidWicked on anything - your posts are super trollish normally. But this one is very clear.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You have not earned the right to pass judgment on whether or not he is fit to wear a uniform.

Walk a million miles in someone else's combat boots before opening your mouth.

I never passed such judgement.
Here, I'll post what I wrote, "If so, that would make you a criminal and not worthy to wear a uniform in our military."
Comprehension, it's a beautiful thing.
Kindly learn to comprehend, before you open your mouth.
Neil Young

I find burning the flag as 'free speech' to be idiotic. Or at least, idiotic speech. Just more directly than that lame (and worn out and emotional) argument - it is private property - and if someone wants to burn their private property, then internet tough guys that try to physically harm that person needs to be jailed.

In my military service, we supported people's rights to do what they want to with their stuff. We even supported peoples rights to 'idiotic version of whatever they think is speech'

I hate to see the flag burned as some impotent demonstration, more than most. One-because it's special to me; two-that form of so-called 'speech' is childish, lazy, and not ever really thought out at all. But if it's not my flag, then it's not my business.

I REALLY hate supporting KidWicked on anything - your posts are super trollish normally. But this one is very clear.

Er, thanks?

For the record I don't try to troll at all, I simply post what I think.

Er, thanks?

For the record I don't try to troll at all, I simply post what I think.

you're welcome :P

delivery is a strange thing, keep it up.

in the end, it's just a forum, I suspect 99% of us would all enjoy each other at the bonfire or on jumps

the other 1% are probably professional assholes all the time - on line or in person

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I find burning the flag as 'free speech' to be idiotic.

Absolutely.
I have a flag that I got from my old ship, the USS Okinawa LPH-3 (decommissioned and sunk to become an artificial reef.)
I was welding up on the signal bridge when they were replacing it. I asked what they were going to do with it. They said the flag was to be burned. I asked for it and it was turned over to me.
That flag was flown on my ship while we off the coast of Iran during the Iranian Crisis. I cherish that flag. Even more, I cherish what it stands for. No one has a right to burn this particular flag as it is my personal property. If a person wishes to burn a flag, they should go buy one and then do as they please with it. It saddens me, but they have that right. Besides, China will make more. My flag was made right here in the USA and it flew proudly on the Proud Lady of the Pacific, the USS Okinawa, LPH-3. I love my country and I love my flag. Even more, I love the rights that my flag stands for.
Neil Young