"Leading Atheist Publishes Secular Bible" - WTF?!

"Um...oh my goodness, I've just realized thet there are other people that I must speak to."

OMG...LMAO...the truth, finally the truth!

Sorry...I just find this video most fascinating. The resemblences are uncanny!;)

Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The resemblences are uncanny!

Indeed, the christian without any answers is done to a tee!

Well, he is a catholic...but perhaps you noticed the ridiculous questions that aren't even worthy of an answer? Granted, they're children...but what's your excuse?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

The christian religion is very inconsistent. Like all religions, it is man made. Finding God and the spiritual meaning of life through the work of Jesus and His disciples is not.

Bravo...There is definately a fine line between legalism and licentiousness, and learning to walk it is an amazing experience. The best of both worlds if you will.

sorry had to look the words up.
fine line between regular sex and freaky sex?
that is the best of both worlds!

li·cen·tious/s/
Adjective: Promiscuous and unprincipled in sexual matters.

le·gal·ism/m/Noun
1. Excessive adherence to law or formula.
2. Dependence on moral law rather than on personal religious faith.
Born ok 1st time.

Well, he is a catholic...but perhaps you noticed the ridiculous questions that aren't even worthy of an answer? Granted, they're children...but what's your excuse?

I don't believe I've ever brought up polar bears in a discussion.

Your faith is unsupportable and deluded. Any one of the unanswered question posed in this thread make a mockery of your twisted, self contradictory hodge-podge of myths. Put them all together and it's no wonder your only option is to dodge them altogether. Hell, pretty much any of the questions asked by those kids still makes more sense than what you actually believe. Even the ones about zapping.

But enough of this, we should catch up on other things: how's your imaginary wife?:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Forget about flat earth for a moment and address heliocentric theory instead. There's no question that the Church set back astronomy for centuries by banning books that dare to suggest the earth was not the center of the universe, by threatening (or worse) scientists who promote it.

So how is this notion ill founded, exactly?

Firstly, you shouldn't take a quote from an article intended to discuss the false claim that the widespread believe of Christians has ever been in keeping with the concept of a flat earth and then apply it to your next question concerning heliocentricity.

Secondly, I guess we've shown that the whole "flat earth" attack is simply unfounded.

Thirdly, the Bible is not a science book. That was never its design or purpose. However, wheverever statments are made in it that touch on scientific subjects, it is entirely accurate. Now, with regard to your question, we have to determine whether the bible even hints at the idea of heliocentricity. The answer is no. The Church (of which the Roman Catholic Church is a major culprit) throughout history has misused, distorted, and undermined the authority of scripture. Taken from it ideas which are not there and applied them to its purposes. Long story short, the Bible is neither geocentric or heliocentric regardless of what the Roman Catholic tradition has done with it.

"Sola Scriptura!"

"Some creationists believe that the scientific assault on the Bible did not begin with biological evolution, but with the acceptance of the heliocentric (or more properly, geokinetic) theory centuries ago. These people believe that the Bible clearly states that the Earth does not move, and hence the only acceptable Biblical cosmology is a geocentric one. Modern geocentrists use both Biblical and scientific arguments for their case. We examine these arguments, and find them poorly founded. The Scriptural passages quoted do not address cosmology. Some geocentrists draw distinctions that do not exist in the original autographs or even in translations. In short, the Bible is neither geocentric nor heliocentric. While geocentrists present some interesting scientific results, their scientific arguments are often based upon improper understanding of theories and data. Much of their case is based upon a misunderstanding of general relativity and the rejection of that theory. While geocentrists are well intended, their presence among recent creationists produces an easy object of ridicule by our critics."

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v15/i2/geocentrism.asp

Thirdly, the Bible is not a science book. That was never its design or purpose. However, wheverever statments are made in it that touch on scientific subjects, it is entirely accurate.

Says the guy who (apparently) believes in young earth creationism. Sorry dude, that's as unscientifically stupid as it gets!

Thirdly, the Bible is not a science book. That was never its design or purpose. However, wheverever statments are made in it that touch on scientific subjects, it is entirely accurate.

Says the guy who (apparently) believes in young earth creationism. Sorry dude, that's as unscientifically stupid as it gets!

Scientific theory can change. The Word of God does not. I base my life on a firm foundation. That does not mean, I am anti-science. Not by any means. I just start from a different presupposition than you. Scientists (until the enlightenment period of the 17th century) used to do the same (and many still do; just not the majority). Now...as before...man wants to be like God. It's not the first time.

I just start from a different presupposition than you.

Yes, a presupposition you will stick to despite any and all evidence to the contrary. Seriously, if you believe in creationism you are anti science.

Yes, a presupposition you will stick to despite any and all evidence to the contrary. Seriously, if you believe in creationism you are anti science.

Are all these people anti-science? http://www.answersingenesis.org/Home/Area/bios/default.asp Interesting to note the earlier ones around the 17th century. Was Francis Bacon (scientific method) "anti-science?"

Added: You atheists really need to come up with some new material for your cause.

>The Word of God does not.

You've admitted that it does! That commandment about not working on Saturday? Safe to disregard it now. Most of Leviticus? No longer applies. God's stance on interracial marriage? Apparently that's changed too.

There's nothing wrong with that, BTW. Society changes and the interpretation of the Bible (and what it says about the Word of God) does too.

You've admitted that it does! That commandment about not working on Saturday? Safe to disregard it now. Most of Leviticus? No longer applies. God's stance on interracial marriage? Apparently that's changed too.

There's nothing wrong with that, BTW. Society changes and the interpretation of the Bible (and what it says about the Word of God) does too.

You need a theology and biblical interpretation course Billvon (really) and not just a cursory easy-reading of the Bible. You need to understand hermaneutical rules of interpretation. One rule is that you can't apply 20th or 21st century understanding of a particular thing to a Hebrew understanding at that time. You've got to try and understand it from their perspective and not the other way around.

Added: I don't mean that to be insulting. I'm being serious. It's the same reason cults exist today. they either center their entire theology around a particular verse or they read it and apply their modern concept of it...or both.

Are all these people anti-science? http://www.answersingenesis.org/Home/Area/bios/default.asp Interesting to note the earlier ones around the 17th century.

Why is that interesting? Prior to that time there was very little of anything in the way of ordered, evidence based science. Myth and magic was pretty much all there was.

You, on the other hand, have no excuse. The evidence is freely available to you, but instead you choose to let a bunch of liars and lunatics lead you about by the nose.

Added: You atheists really need to come up with some new material for your cause.

Oh really? Let's just think about the validity of that statement, shall we? On the one hand we could take, say, evolution, one of the most well researched and supported scientific theories ever developed, which simply would not work if the earth was young, which is being further researched, refined and supported with every passing day. You, on the other hand, have just appealed to Francis Bacon. From the 17th century.

Are you aware of even the faintest scent of irony?

>You need a theology and biblical interpretation course Billvon (really)

I had four years of them. But they were pretty good, not the "just read answersingenesis.com" sort.

>One rule is that you can't apply 20th or 21st century understanding of a particular
>thing to a Hebrew understanding at that time.

I agree 100%. Taking the Bible literally, and claiming that its interpretation does not change, is a mistake - society changes, and our understanding of the Bible changes as a result.

(BTW you don't have to go back to biblical times to see that change in understanding. The Bible was used as justification for banning interracial marriage in the 1950's.)

I have noticed life is full of paradoxes. Some with a genuine spiritual knowledge and relationship with God can be lacking in the latest science. As some with the latest information on scientific theories can be totally lacking in the knowledge of God.

I have noticed life is full of paradoxes. Some with a genuine spiritual knowledge and relationship with God can be lacking in the latest science. As some with the latest information on scientific theories can be totally lacking in the knowledge of God.

Well, you see a paradox, I see cause and effect:D

I had four years of them. But they were pretty good, not the "just read answersingenesis.com" sort.

I don't usually post my resume but I have post graduate seminary education (and not from answers in genesis). My undergraduate degree is unrelated. But that is beside the point. If you had all those years of philosophical education, I would think you'd understand something of biblical interpretation.

I agree 100%. Taking the Bible literally, and claiming that its interpretation does not change, is a mistake - society changes, and our understanding of the Bible changes as a result.

I'm not saying that biblical interpretations do not change. That's got nothing to do with my literal reading of the Bible. My interpretation of a particular thing could be wrong. That's why, if my interpretation of a particular thing doesn't match up in any way with what it's always been understood to be, then I'm probably wrong. If it matches up, I'm probably on track. That's not to say that interpretations haven't changed in history. For example, false interpretations that had made its way into the Roman Catholic Church around the time of the Reformation (e.g. purgatory, etc.). It wasn't until then that the Catholic Church (during the Counter-Reformation) brought in the Apocryphal books and included them into their canon of scripture. Then, when Protestants asked where the scriptural support for these things was, they could point to their bible and say "there, it's in the bible." (Not to mention, that Jerome (early church father; Roman Catholic) in his Latin Vulgate (Latin translation of the Bible) did not include the Apocryphal books). The point being, the early church fathers never included those teachings. Neither should have the Catholic Church.

>If you had all those years of philosophical education, I would think you'd
>understand something of biblical interpretation.

It is possible (unlikely, but possible) that people other than yourself understand Biblical issues, but disagree with your reasoning.

>That's why, if my interpretation of a particular thing doesn't match up in any way with
>what it's always been understood to be, then I'm probably wrong.

Until it changes again - at which point you become right?

That's the problem. "What it's always been understood to be" changes. And again, that's not a bad thing; heck, it keeps theologians around the world employed.