"Leading Atheist Publishes Secular Bible" - WTF?!

You'd think atheists could come up with something new. Instead, the argument against always seems to lead to "Well, What about the Crusades and the Salem Witch Trials? That's why I can't believe. That will be a lame excuse when they stand before God and give an account.

The lameness is all on your part. You don't know your god's plan any more than the pope in Rome does. At least the Flying Spaghetti Monster hasn't ordered any massacres of nonbelievers - yet.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You'd think atheists could come up with something new. Instead, the argument against always seems to lead to "Well, What about the Crusades and the Salem Witch Trials? That's why I can't believe. That will be a lame excuse when they stand before God and give an account.

The lameness is all on your part. You don't know your god's plan any more than the pope in Rome does. At least the Flying Spaghetti Monster hasn't ordered any massacres of nonbelievers - yet.

You're right. I forgot to add old faithful...the flying spaghetti monster.

You'd think atheists could come up with something new.

Says the guy peddling the tired old rag that morality must come from god. If you find a new line of bullshit to push, then maybe we'll need a new argument to refute it. Until then, the ones we've got are more than doing the job.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

TWO WOLVES

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all.”One is Evil - It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

"The other is God - It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?" The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Re-posting from previous comment:

Not trying to minimize the wrongdoing, however, it's interesting to note that, as much attention that is brought to the Salem Trials, there were only about 20 executions. You'd think it was on par with the Holocaust.

Only 20, well, that's OK then. Carry on.

(How many during the Inquisition? So kind of your loving god to invent those exquisite tortures)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Re-posting from previous comment:

Not trying to minimize the wrongdoing, however, it's interesting to note that, as much attention that is brought to the Salem Trials, there were only about 20 executions. You'd think it was on par with the Holocaust.

Ha! So now the guy who tells us that one lie is worthy of being damned to hell for all eternity is trying to grade one set of murders as not being as bad as another?

Funny how when we're talking about incredibly minor infractions you go straight to zero tolerance mode, but when we're talking about actual atrocities you can suddenly see shades of grey:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

And more rubbish ... Can you explain why God made a covenant with Abram who committed adultery with Hagar when do not commit adultery is one of the ten commandments?

Can you explain how Abram would've known about the ten commandments?

Can you explain how God wouldn't have known about the ten commandments and Abram's adultery?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

And more rubbish ... Can you explain why God made a covenant with Abram who committed adultery with Hagar when do not commit adultery is one of the ten commandments?

He didn't commit adultery with Hagar (Gen 16:3). But Abram had certainly been guilty of breaking the 2nd Commandment and worshiping false gods (Joshua 24:2,3). That's not the point, though. The point is that God established the covenant and God always keeps His promises. It wasn't like a contract that God made with Abram. A covenant is deeper than that. A contract can be broken if one party fails to meet his end of the bargain. Man continually fails to meet up with his side of the bargain. God, on the other hand, will follow through with His promise even if we fail to do so. God "chose" to work through Abram. Not the other way around. The covenant is intact.

So God doesn't care about morality ... after all, he made a covenant with an adulterer.

Ha! So now the guy who tells us that one lie is worthy of being damned to hell for all eternity is trying to grade one set of murders as not being as bad as another?

Funny how when we're talking about incredibly minor infractions you go straight to zero tolerance mode, but when we're talking about actual atrocities you can suddenly see shades of grey:D

No. Just thought it interesting how often that gets brought up. Just from a historical perspective. I mean, we could compare the attrocities committed by Christians versus Atheists if you want to (e.g. Stalin)...but I don't really see the point except for pointing out the absurdity of the comparison.

There is no compromise with God's standard. Jesus said "But you are to be perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect." Perfection is the standard. How are you doing?

Can you explain how Abram would've known about the ten commandments?

Can you explain how God wouldn't have known about the ten commandments and Abram's adultery?

Dude, the Ten Commandments didn't come around until Moses in Exodus. That aside, the Ten Commandments are just a representation of the character and nature of God. They are not all encompassing but are certainly a good mirror to look into. Ultimately, you will be judged by something even higher than the Ten Commandments. You will be compared to the very nature of God Himself (who is perfect). I still don't really understand your question, though.

Only 20 dead women, no big deal. If I remember my history correctly there were witch trials in Europe prior to Salem. I imagine the head count is much higher. Certainly not comparable to the Holocaust but not so trivial that it doesn't matter.

Must have been a very difficult time for women. At any given time you could be dragged off and burned at the stake. If you had daughters they might as well burn them too, since they're probably witches too.

Just one of many examples of the wonderful events in history in which religion has played a role. Religion has never been particularly kind to women, this is just one the the more violent examples.

In the 12th Century it was considered in accordance with your god's law to invade another country and slaughter its population, women and children included.

In the 15th Century it was considered in accordance with your god's law to torture "heretics" to death, and/or burn them at the stake.

Your god's law doesn't seem at all objective or absolute to me - it's whatever the priesthood says it is for their own convenience at any given time.

There was a reason for the Protestant Reformation. Sola Scriptura, sola fide. The church in Rome wasn't always apostate...but they are now...and they certainly do not represent the Church as a whole. The Priesthood is not the head of the Church. Jesus Christ is. What evil men do in the face of what is right does not discredit the standard. Everyone will be judged by God for what they have done...in the end. As for the rest, let's be sure to mention that the Crusades (not defending the atrocities but I'm sure they occurred on both sides) began because of Muslim aggression.

Ah yes the old "they're not really christians anymore" argument! Any time someone brings up atrocities done in the name of christianity or any christians that you don't agree with out comes the "They're not really christians". Such a cop out and bullshit excuse.

There is no objective or absolute moral law in christianity.

Just one of many examples of the wonderful events in history in which religion has played a role. Religion has never been particularly kind to women, this is just one the the more violent examples.

To be historically accurate, you really need to distinguish Christianity from "religion" in general (e.g. Islam, etc.).

"As a result of Jesus Christ and His teachings, women in much of the world today, especially in the West, enjoy more privileges and rights than at any other time in history. It takes only a cursory trip to an Arab nation or to a Third World country to see how little freedom women have in countries where Christianity has had little or no presence.{19} It’s the best thing that ever happened to women."

http://bible.org/article/christianity-best-thing-ever-happened-women

Not saying that people haven't throughout history misinterpreted, misapplied, and even maliciously distorted the scriptures, however, the teachings of Jesus Christ elevate the status of women. That is yet one more thing that makes it unique in the world.

Religion (generally speaking), like you said, hasn't been particularly kind to women but that cannot be said of the grammatical/historical interpretation of what the Bible says concerning women.

You've shown that your morals are not only subjective but change based on time ... fantastic. :S

It's possible that mine could (hopefully, not to a large extent, though) because I'm human and God, throughout the course of my life, is conforming me to His standard (I've got a very long way to go). However, my shortcoming is not the point. The point is that God's standard does not change.

You've shown that your morals are not only subjective but change based on time ... fantastic. :S

It's possible that mine could (hopefully, not to a large extent, though) because I'm human and God, throughout the course of my life, is conforming me to His standard (I've got a very long way to go). However, my shortcoming is not the point. The point is that God's standard does not change.

And more rubbish ... it changed from the old testament to the new testament.

Bullshit.

"Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)

"But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything." (Ephesians 5:22-24)

"Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)

Sounds "empowering" to me:S

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

It's pretty well established that according to the Bible that standard has changed. The real problem is that the standards are ambiguous and subject to interpretation. The ten commandments that you submitted as being "Gods Moral Law" is interpreted in many different ways and there is no way to say which is correct.

For an almighty and omnipotent being your god isn't very clear on his laws.

"There are no believeable gods."

God's moral standard has not changed from Genesis to Revelation or until now...nor will it ever. God is the same in the past, present, and future. He does not change. That is one of his incommunicable attributes.

God's moral standard has not changed from Genesis to Revelation or until now...nor will it ever. God is the same in the past, present, and future. He does not change. That is one of his incommunicable attributes.

That is your opinion. It's not supported by any evidence.

Sounds "empowering" to me:S

Which one of those do you wish to discuss? You've got to read passeges before and after in order to understand their meaning. For instance, Ephesians 5 is illustrating what the marriage relationship "should be." The submission discussed is not referring to a domineering or overpowering control over a woman. It's referring to perfect submission. The husband being head of the wife does not indicate superiority. We are all equal in the eyes of God. It is simply the role he has been assigned (which is a huge one to which he will be held accountable). If you keep reading, it goes on to say that husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved the Church in that He gave his life up for it. If a husband loves his wife so much that he is willing to give up everything and die for her, then her best interests are always at the forefront. The husband "submiits" to his wife in that way. They submit one and to the other. It's easy to submit or be accountable to one another when that kind of perfect relationship exists. The marriage relationship is just an illustration of the one between Jesus Christ and the Father. Both are of the same essense (worth), however one submits to the other (willingly).

Really?

From "Stone those who do any work on the Sabbath" and striking down with fire those who dare to touch the Ark of the Covenant (OT) to "Turn the other cheek" and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"(NT)?

You don't see any change there??

God may or may not have changed, but people's interpretation of him certainly has.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo