d123

Analyzing Anger under cold thinking

Are you a clinician?

No. Just a strong interest in REBT because it has been very helpful to me.

Another question came to me this morning. RET was introduced to me and our counselors as a technique to enhance our counseling with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Are you utilizing the questioning techniques as a self help guide?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Another question came to me this morning. RET was introduced to me and our counselors as a technique to enhance our counseling with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Are you utilizing the questioning techniques as a self help guide?

I use REBT/CBT techniques as self-help for managing anxiety, but I use it in combination with other things.

Guys, are you trying to kill the thread with the boring stuff? I find that a lot of this new "research" are just big names for eldery teachings. The elders didn't charge for their teachings.

danke schön!
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Guys, are you trying to kill the thread with the boring stuff? I find that a lot of this new "research" are just big names for eldery teachings. The elders didn't charge for their teachings.

danke schön!

I am an elder and I don't charge either.

Bitte Schön
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Individuals do not necessarily think all beliefs and thoughts are rational. Why do you say that?

How do you know when you have an irrational belief?

Look for evidence to support the belief, and then decide how rational it is.

There's the rub. To the individual, all beliefs and thoughts are rational.

As billvon pointed out, anger comes from surprise.

From the counseling/therapeutic aspect, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to determine which comes first, anger or fear. They are explored together for the client's benefit.

Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

Individuals do not necessarily think all beliefs and thoughts are rational. Why do you say that?

Some individuals believe that some rational thoughts create internal and external conflict.

I know that I have rational thoughts that create conflict here in the SC. If I choose to eliminate the conflict, how do I proceed?

I seek to check out the thought in reality. If I get no confirmation then I know it is not rational enough to be useful. Or, I say it is irrational.

If I get some confirmation then I know it is rational enough to continue to pursue the thought, make a decision and implement action. The action will produce an emotion which will stimulate thought and the process continues.

An individual who is antisocial or sociopathic at the extreme finds all thought rational to satisfy his or her needs, wants and desires. Such individuals are guided by their own narcisisstic emotions and thoughts.

When an individual has thoughts that produce mental conflict it is a double bind and very difficult to make a decision and go forward. The old saying is, damned if I do and damned if I don't.

In the latter two instances, the individual's thoughts are rational but not acceptable. In the first example, the antisocial is not accepted by society. In the second, the individual is not accepted by his or her self. In both cases the thoughts are rational at the moment of mental conception.

There are three concepts of normal, statistical, which measures central tendency i.e. the mean, mode and median. The second is moral, which is culturally relative. The third is concept of self.

The individual question is, am I normal and I how do I know?

I use REBT/CBT techniques as self-help for managing anxiety, but I use it in combination with other things.

How does my explanation above, to Throttlebender, fit with your experiences utilizing RET thus far?

>I think surprise would be the spontaneous response. Anger might follow . . .

Anger would follow, and be a result of the physiological response to an attack. That response prepares us to fight (expressed as anger) or run (expressed as fear.) Most people experience both more or less instantly. We can, of course, use our rational minds to decide which one (if either) to choose.

I disagree. For many people the over riding emotion or reaction would be fear not anger.

BTW - I do see a positive side for anger (not rage). To use the example in a slightly different way, if Quade walked up and slapped a kid in the street and the Dr was watching I think then anger might be the dominant response and his anger may cause him to defend the kid.

P.S Not picking on Quade but he chose to start randomly hitting people:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I disagree. For many people the over riding emotion or reaction would be fear not anger.

In the mental health field, as counselors, we deal with anger and fear together along with depression and guilt. It is very difficult to separate one out from the others.