skyrider

Break The Devide, "Oath Keepers"

One of my Vietnam Veteran buddies told me about Oath Keepers several months ago. I like their foundation statements.

WILL NOT OBEY

1. We will NOT obey orders to disarm the American people.
2. We will NOT obey orders to conduct warrantless searches of the American people
3. We will NOT obey orders to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to military tribunal.
4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state.
5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control."
9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
10.We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.

http://oathkeepers.org/oath/

I haven't spoken to anyone who has actually paid the membership dues and joined. Therefore, other than the website, I don't know what activities they are engaged in besides making speeches.

Are you a paid member?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Interesting post.

Some guys were handing out brochures for the Oath Keepers outside the PX a few months ago. I think simple contradictions exist between their foundation statements and the oaths that service members take. I know mine and my subordinates’ oaths, in their entirety; many people forget everything after the first statement.
This isn't flying, its falling with style.

Interesting post.

Some guys were handing out brochures for the Oath Keepers outside the PX a few months ago. I think simple contradictions exist between their foundation statements and the oaths that service members take. I know mine and my subordinates’ oaths, in their entirety; many people forget everything after the first statement.

Seems like the second and fourth clauses of that oath that you know 'in entirety' would support most of the statements above - you know; posse commitatus, illegal orders and such-like.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

This is their mission statement:

Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of currently serving military, reserves, National Guard, veterans, Peace Officers, and Fire Fighters who will fulfill the Oath we swore, with the spport of like minded citizens who take an Oath to stand with us, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help us God. Our Oath is to the Constitution.

So. . .What do they do that their present job doesn't have them do in the first place?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Even posse commitatus has its own exceptions and limitations, and it gets amended or waived nearly any time a natural disaster/riot/emergency occurs.

You can't rigidly interpret and apply the tenets (as the foundation statements seem to do) of fluid laws or principles (posse commitatus/the insurrection act).

Understanding your oath/the constitution and their impact on your job is great but I would hesitate to call for disobedience except in the clearest circumstances based on my understanding of either. Respectfully refusing works for clearly illegal orders (it may also get you burned). Beyond a simple, clear definition of 'illegal' rather than pause to debate and educate ourselves on each potential issue as it arises, we defer to our superiors and their knowledge and do what we're told.

This isn't flying, its falling with style.