bitmonkey

USPA licence valid in EU?

Hi,

If I did AFF in the US and got an USPA A licence, would this be valid in the UK and Europe? If not, is there any way to convert it, or what do I have to do to get a BPA licence.

If it's possible at reasonable cost, what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing AFF in the states.

thanks.

I do not know about England, but in France, I had to buy a French license. They didn't have me go through any kind of test, just estimated which license applied to my level. For liability issues I believe. However, I believe there are DZs in Europe that do recognize and accept USPA licenses. It may be a case by case type of thingie...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I do not know about England, but in France, I had to buy a French license. They didn't have me go through any kind of test, just estimated which license applied to my level. For liability issues I believe. However, I believe there are DZs in Europe that do recognize and accept USPA licenses. It may be a case by case type of thingie...

Bill Booth told me he was in France and they would not let him do a Tandem.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

AFAIK in the UK you need BPA membership which gets you insurance and that's the main issue for jumping. I expect your USPA license as an FAI affiliated license it will equate to something in the UK and you'll be able to jump when you have insurance but BPA membership is expensive.

Just looking at this now. When I was here (U.K.) in July I just got a temp membership in the BPA. Now that I'm back in the U.K. for a while I went ahead and got full membership. It does seem steep, but the pages of their magazine are twice as thick as USPA's mag so maybe it's worth it ;).

Since you just got you USPA "A", as near as I can tell it will be the equivilent of a FAI "A". I haven't found any way to "convert" it, but you should be able to jump at a U.K. DZ with it, log book, BPA membership, Fitness declaration (Doctor's endorsement require if ovr 50 AGE DISCRIMINATION >:(, and a butt load of money.

The next step may be to get your next level license in the U.K. since you got the expensive part out of the way. Then what you'll need is an application and proficiency cert and gues what ????? More Money!

Maybe I'll see you around a DZ while I'm here - just look for the old guy with the white wingsuit and black canopy.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

Yeah, like Allan was saying, you can buy a temp membership which lasts for 1 month but if you going to be here for a while you may as well get the full membership.

Your fitness decleration needs to be signed by a doctor if your over 40 in the uk!

Thankfully i still have 15 years before i need a signature ;)

It is not one country so different rules apply.

Basically noone is probably going to dispute your level of ability. However, there might be insurance rules in the picture. The example with France requiring you to purchase a licence is simply because your coverage needs to be huge to jump in France. I have jumped there without getting a licence because I had my own insurance. For me it is a standard issue when jumping in a new country to just bring my insurance papers along. That will usually do it.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I see from your profile that you are based in the UK, so assume that you are not asking simply about jumping whilst on a trip here, but rather you live here, just happen to have done AFF elsewhere.

The best then would be for you to go to your local dz, with your logbook and DVD's if you have, and ask them to sign you off for your UK license, if you are going to be based here - any further progression you do in the UK can then just be signed off.

I did my AFF in Spain, but got signed off for my A certificate when I got back. Some dz's won't charge you for this - depending on how many jumps you have, some dz's may ask you to do a check jump.

As mentioned by others, BPA memebership is a requirement for anyone jumping in the UK whether it be temp or full.