skyrider

BRADLEY MANNING: POSTER BOY FOR 'DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL'

It blows my mind that this is even a topic of discussion. How is it that we can't expect the people whom we rely on to protect our country to deal with people just like everyone else does?! I mean, there are all KINDS of people that the rest of us work with, live amongst, deal with every day without threat of physical violence or loss of a career...or any repercussions at all. What's different about the military? We entrust people in the military with greater responsibility than just about any other segment of our community. So why can't we trust 'em to be able to cope with the fact that everybody ain't straight? Nobody likes everybody. Still gotta get along. Cope. Grow. Be big enough to work alongside people you might not like.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Blackmail works because if the victim reports you, they still almost certainly suffer the penalty of the information of interest.

And if they don't report them, they suffer whatever the blackmailer can come up with.

It's simple: If blackmailed one can either report them and both get in trouble (usually less for the one being blackmailed), or start down that slippery slope of doing whatever they want to keep them quiet.

Personally, if someone had something on me, I'd take my lumps but expose them for what they were doing. If I'm going down, I'm taking them with me. ;)

Once again, eliminating DADT (which I agree with)would only stop one kind of blackmail.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

How could DADT possible fit into Blackmail? it isn't the soldier coming out, it is an accuser trying to accuse them....Me thinks that "rape victim" was too stupid for the uniform.....(I know, sounds cold, but come on....she had to be smarter than that, if she was going to have weapons in her hands):S

BTW, before anyoen accuses me of being Cold to Rape, that is how I came into this world, the rapist(myfather) was never prosecuted either.>:(..I am far from cold to the subject!

Bolas, your white straight male privilege is showing. :|

If someone is going to a confront and expose their blackmailer, they need evidence. Regardles of gender, race, and/or orientation. :|
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>How could DADT possible fit into Blackmail?

"If you tell anyone that I've been forcing myself on you, I'll tell your CO you're gay and you will be discharged. You'll lose your job and (potentially) your home."

>Me thinks that "rape victim" was too stupid for the uniform.....

Well, by those standards, a lot of rape victims have been "too stupid" to stop their attackers. Yet people still get raped. I think it's worthwhile to try to stop that.

>How could DADT possible fit into Blackmail?

"If you tell anyone that I've been forcing myself on you, I'll tell your CO you're gay and you will be discharged. You'll lose your job and (potentially) your home."

Well, let's see now....what's more important to me...my job or my dignity...hmmmmmm. OK...job! I'll complain about the loss of dignity later.

>Me thinks that "rape victim" was too stupid for the uniform.....

Well, by those standards, a lot of rape victims have been "too stupid" to stop their attackers. Yet people still get raped....

Transparent intentional twisting of the topic or you missed the point.
Taking you by the hand to lead you back...we're talking about those who let themselves be victimized by blackmail. This is a situation where one has a choice.

For whatever reason she chose, the lady made the decision she made and apparently DADT played a role in the decision making process.

Somehow I didn't think that DADT included getting snitched out.
-"Hey! Sgt. X is gay!"
-"Oh, well, we'll just discharge them immediately!"
Is that how it is? Maybe some current soldiers can let us know for sure.

I think it would be better if:
-"Hey! Sgt. X is gay!"
-"OK wise guy, here's your TDY orders to dig 42,000 foxholes in Afghanistan. Let us know when you complete your assignment."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Bolas, your white straight male privilege is showing. :|

Nope. He's showing that, to him, personal dignity and self-esteem are more important than a job. Simple as that.

He wouldn't be the first to walk away from a well-loved job because of those issues...or even lesser ones.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>Well, let's see now....what's more important to me...my job or my
>dignity...hmmmmmm. OK...job!

Yep. Some people decide that they can't afford to lose their job and all that comes with it (house, car, custody etc.) Which is why blackmailers are often successful.

>I think it would be better if:
>Hey! Sgt. X is gay!"
>OK wise guy, here's your TDY orders to dig 42,000 foxholes in
>Afghanistan. Let us know when you complete your assignment."

Yes, that would be ideal. Unfortunately, military rules today prevent that. Would be nice to get them changed, eh?