Gawain

Farewell General McChrystal

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128733756

Gen. Stanley McChrystal ended his 34-year career as an Army officer Friday in an emotional retirement ceremony at his military headquarters in Washington, D.C., marking the last chapter of his swift and stunning fall from grace.

Before a crowd of a few hundred friends, family and colleagues on the Fort McNair parade grounds under an oppressively hot July sun, McChrystal said his service didn't end as he hoped. But he regretted few decisions he had made on the battlefield, cherished his life as a soldier and was optimistic about his future, he said.

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Gen. Stanley McChrystal ended his 34-year career as an Army officer Friday in an emotional retirement ceremony at his military headquarters in Washington, D.C., marking the last chapter of his swift and stunning fall from grace.

Before a crowd of a few hundred friends, family and colleagues on the Fort McNair parade grounds under an oppressively hot July sun, McChrystal said his service didn't end as he hoped. But he regretted few decisions he had made on the battlefield, cherished his life as a soldier and was optimistic about his future, he said.

Despite his mistake, Obama will miss him. Today there is no one better at doing the job he did
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Despite his mistake, Obama will miss him. Today there is no one better at doing the job he did

Yes, calling your boss, while in the military, disparaging names in the open public especially is a sign of a great military leader.

Yes, calling your boss, while in the military, disparaging names in the open public especially is a sign of a great military leader.

A mistake does not preclude a great military history.
Abraham Lincoln

Got quotes?

Ya think he only got his info from his trusted web sites as opposed to news links which are closer to what really happened???

:o

:D
Abraham Lincoln

Got quotes?

Mike, are you disputing that the Rolling Stone article exists, or that McChrystal and his staff made the comments ascribed to them in the article? Why do you think he was forced to resign?

Don

Got quotes?

Mike, are you disputing that the Rolling Stone article exists, or that McChrystal and his staff made the comments ascribed to them in the article? Why do you think he was forced to resign?

Don

Look at it the story somewhat closer
No quotes are attributed to McChrystal. Only to his staff
Abraham Lincoln

For whom which HE is responsible however

Yep. Sad all around, nobody needed this distraction from the mission, and what a way to end an otherwise excellent career. Whatever possessed then to allow an embedded reporter? I bet that won't happen again anytime soon.

Don

For whom which HE is responsible however

Yep. Sad all around, nobody needed this distraction from the mission, and what a way to end an otherwise excellent career. Whatever possessed then to allow an embedded reporter? I bet that won't happen again anytime soon.

Don

Any body remember Gen (MG I think) John Singlaub? He was on the USPA BoD and really helped skydiving in the "60s & "70s. Carter removed him because he was starting to sound a lot like McArther. So Carter acted like Truman for once.

I think it's a sign of how professional our military is and their respect for the Constitution that they swore to defend and protect that things like this are few and far between.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

No, but it certainly ends one.

Yes, it does
Abraham Lincoln

Guess you never read the actual article, only others opinions of it.

Or you could provide the quotes where McChrystal said anything like you claim.

He has been asked the same more than once
Cant be done so he ignores the query
Abraham Lincoln

I saw others replies after I sent mine.

Funny since he sent this to me in another thread:

"No response? Hmm, I guess you can't play the game for shit."

Well Lucky?????

Still waiting Lucky

"Guess you never read the actual article, only others opinions of it.

Or you could provide the quotes where McChrystal said anything like you claim. "

Care to provide the quotes?

Or will you admit you don't have a clue here?

Yea, mistake. Could I have another teaspoon of sugar on that?

Yea, mistake. Could I have another teaspoon of sugar on that?

Some body else who forces you to expose your big green monster

:D
Abraham Lincoln

Still waiting Lucky

"Guess you never read the actual article, only others opinions of it.

Or you could provide the quotes where McChrystal said anything like you claim. "

Care to provide the quotes?

Or will you admit you don't have a clue here?

I guess if you're married to one article over a major issue, you're, "short sighted."

http://news.spreadit.org/general-mcchrystalwhat-did-mcchrystal-say-rolling-stone-comments/

His first slip up came when he said during an autumn review of the strategy in Afghanistan that he felt that the war would fail unless they were provided thousands of addition troops to tackle different sections of the country. This put additional pressure on the White House before Barack Obama had decided on a strategy.

That's called insubbordination; undermining yhour superior's authority.

Now, his career appears to be in jeopardy once again,for telling Rolling Stone that he was “disappointed” after his first meeting with Mr. Obama, and that the new US chief executive seemed intimidated by top military brass.

Calling him intimidated is a name.

Last October, McChrystal was also involved in a public argument with Vice President Joe Biden over war strategy in Afghanistan. Biden had said that he hoped that the US would be able to adopt a narrow counterterrorism strategy. McChrystal responded to the comments made by Biden by saying that he believed that they were “short sighted.”

They means Biden and Obama, the administration. That isn't calling someone a name?

Enjoy squirming, I see it is you w/o a clue on this issue.

Got quotes?

Don

Look at it the story somewhat closer
No quotes are attributed to McChrystal. Only to his staff

Yes, the posted story, not the entire issue. This brief posted here is more about his retirement than his disparaging remarks.

This whole issue is pretty prima facie; who isn't aware of the disparaging remarks made, I've cited a few above. Another 1-article cowboy. Remember, this was more about his career than his career-ending fuck ups; think outside the box every now and then.