Andy9o8

Newborn with Birth Defect Denied Coverage

The rules can be confusing, though it only takes a small amount of reading to gain the necessary understanding; and they are quite logical once you think thru the issues of risk, loss, and selection.

I agree. However it also illustrates that the HC industry has lost sight of the purpose of health care.

Nope.

To the health care INDUSTRY the purpose is to make money. Billions of dollars in fact. That's easier when they don't write new policies for people who are already sick or injured.

True. "Field" would have been a better term. It's when people lose sight of the goal of the enterprise then the product or service suffers. When profit takes priority over the quality of things such as health care and education then I'd argue that there's a moral compass whose needle no longer points true.
That's where you'll find the "death panels".

My point was to illustrate that had that child been born in any other modern, First World nation in the world he would have had guaranteed coverage from the moment of birth.

Only in America. The most prosperous nation on Earth. And that's just shameful.

So.....coverage does not equal treatment. More people are denied by our own government than private insurance does here. In places that have the system you want people either have to wait so long it doesn't matter or they are simply denied due to rationing.
Would it be sustainable if car insurance covered "pre-existing damages"? Obviously no! Why and how could a company pay out for damages to a car to a person who hasn't payed them a cent? It simply isn't mathmatically possible yet we are asking this very thing.
Coverage by the government doesn't really mean much. Here is one example:

Freedom of information figures obtained by the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign found children were subject to a postcode lottery in terms of equipment.

Statistics from 54% of NHS trusts in England and Scotland revealed that disabled children in England are forced to wait five months on average for a wheelchair.

The worst performing primary care trust (PCT), East Lancashire, in the north-west of England, had an average wait of two years for an electric wheelchair.

The survey showed 58% of children in England had to wait at least three months for an electric wheelchair and 14% waited more than six months.

In the case of Westminster and Islington PCTs in London, children living just four miles apart could have a difference of 11 months in waiting time.

Overall, 50% of the PCTs that responded said they did not fund the full cost of a powered wheelchair for a disabled child.

A separate patient survey of 237 children found one in three did not receive any funding at all for their wheelchair.

They can't hardly get wheelchairs. How easy is it to get surgery?

How about this:

A three-year-old girl awaiting heart surgery has had her operation cancelled three times this month because of a shortage of beds.

Ella Cotterell was due to have aorta-widening surgery on Monday at the Children’s Hospital, Bristol. But 48 hours beforehand, the operation was cancelled for the third time as all 15 beds in the intensive care unit were occupied, her parents said.

How about this:

Thousands of kidney cancer patients are likely to lose out on life-prolonging drugs.
The NHS rationing body, NICE, has confirmed a ban on three out of four new treatments.

It has reversed its position on just one, Sutent, which will now be allowed for patients with advanced cancer. But campaigners who fought NICE's original blanket ban said this was not enough. They said some patients with heart problems cannot tolerate Sutent.

Kate Spall, head of the Pamela Northcott Fund campaign group, said the ruling meant that fewer than half of newly diagnosed patients would be eligible for therapy.

She added: 'Families will be denied time together and doctors will be unable to give patients the best treatment.'

Campaigners are angry that NICE appears to have ignored new official guidelines widening access to life-prolonging drugs.

Even if you wanted to pay for the drugs yourself you aren't allowed to.

And this to top it off:

HEALTH Secretary Andy Burnham was under fire last night after admitting he cared more about his favourite football team than the National Health Service.
The gaffe-prone Cabinet Minister had already caused embarrassment by claiming there were “no waiting lists” in the NHS.

But official figures published yesterday revealed that more than 230,000 patients are being forced to wait more than 18 weeks for hospital treatment.

Does all this sound good to you?

I've worked my butt off so my wife and children will have insurance but now, after all my hard work, they will be put at risk to make up for all the people who CHOSE not to provide insurance for themselves, wife, and/or kids. Explain to me how that is fair that my family should be punished for being responsible and other rewarded for not being responsible.

No, the kid got his surgery. The parents just couldn't convince an outside third party to pay for it.

Which nicely illustrates why HC reform will be one of the best economic stimilus packages out there.

It doesn't stimulate anything if knowone gets payed. Thats currently a huge issue with medicare and medicaid. Few doctors accept it becuase they don't pay out. Some pharmicies are refusing to accept it becuase they don't get payed either. This is one of the reasons healthcare cost so much as is.
In addition, how can insurance companies afford to pay when you have thousands and thousands of people that must now be covered with pre-existing conditions that have never payed into the system. The companies will have to pay out more than they take in which can't be done.
Also, the bill doesn't allow for privately own hospitals which will result in some hospitals having to close such as the new one being built in Oklahoma. This will result in hundreds of jobs lost just in that area not to mention its impact on the numerous construction companies who wont get payed and the suppliers etc.
Also, the bill forces all student loans to go through the government which is immediately putting thousands out of a job.
Companies are already being effected such as catepillar will loose over 100million in the first year alone due to the healthcare bill. This is just one of numerous companies which employee thousands of people who may be employeeing less as a result.
Higher taxes won't help any business or individual and thats something the dems fully admit but jsut claim thats the tough decision that had to be made.
There are other taxes such as taxes specifically on tanning. That won't help that industry either. (of course if we taxed something most black people did that would be racist but since its something mostly white people do its not).
So where in all that is the stimulus?

>It seems to me that this unprecedented change is going to produce such
>a quagmire in the grab for governmental control and the fixing of
>malpractice responsibilities that lawsuits will fly like snow flurries.

While I agree tort reform is a sorely missed addition to this bill - do you really think that right now lawsuits AREN'T flying like snow flurries?

While I agree tort reform is a sorely missed addition to this bill - do you really think that right now lawsuits AREN'T flying like snow flurries?

It is not an either/or situation. I think it will be a BIG ANOTHER opportunity. Again, my opinion but, I think the primary benefactors of HC reform are going to be the attorneys.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

It doesn't stimulate anything if knowone gets payed.

Which is the current situation. family doens't pay, hospital sues, family goes bankrupt, hospital gets 2 cents on the dollar.

New situation, hospital gets paid (which by the way lowers costs), family doesn't claim bankruptcy and has money to spend in the consumer market.

(I also predect this bill will have a significant effect on lawsuits, but unlike some of the doomsday people here, I think it will have a very positive impact)

It is not an either/or situation. I think it will be a BIG ANOTHER opportunity. Again, my opinion but, I think the primary benefactors of HC reform are going to be the attorneys.

How so?

I think the primary benefactors of HC reform are going to be the attorneys.

How so?

You lawyers -- always working the opportunities :P:)
(note for the humor-impaired -- no, I don't really think Andy is trolling for ways to make more money)

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How so?

I only received an unction, a word of knowledge. I did not receive a specific prophecy.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Question:

I was thinking about this HC thing yesterday and it occurred to me that tort reform is not addressed.

Am I correct?

If so, doesn't Obamacare open a picture widow of opportunity for financial gain to attorneys?

It seems to me that this unprecedented change is going to produce such a quagmire in the grab for governmental control and the fixing of malpractice responsibilities that lawsuits will fly like snow flurries.

That is why my chief complaint in general is that they have not enacted reform; they just extended the mess w/o really addressing root causes.

Most of the specifics addressed were already in place in the states that have tried to take action. In not addressing overall cost of care they are sending in a marshmallow to put out a forest fire.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley