miconar

wake up half conscious in freefall

Recently I was exposed to several incidents where jumpers were knocked partially out in freefall, or blacked out and only half "came to" still in freefall. In all cases jumpers pulled their main out of habit as soon as they realized they were in freefall. One case came close to a two out by aad, and two had injuries from landing mains under partial control and awareness.

This got me thinking about what I want to try and plan for. Of course it's hard to control your actions when you're not "all there". But im thinking maybe the right thing to train for if you can't verify altitude immediately and don't know what's going on, tunnel vision or limbs not fully reacting, is to go for your reserve. Better for no flare landing, less likely to need to use your hands and body to fix a malfunction etc. Eliminate the possibility of a 2 out low to the ground when you're already physically or mentally out of it, and get a canopy out faster in case you're already low. But only one chance to get a good canopy.

One jumper had her right hand completely paralyzed and left hand partially paralyzed. She spent 8500 ft pulling her metal d ring style reserve handle, just working to get her thumb in. Really made me think about my soft handle again.

What are some of your thoughts about gear and procedure for being in freefall with partial consciousness and/or partial control or use of your limbs?

Probably so they could swoop. Swooping is currently considered a legitimate discipline and so this discussion should include them too. What you think about group freefall with dedicated swooping mains, and what the cutoff should be before it's a bad idea to risk freefall collision with a canopy is relevant to the discussion in a way. But even if all you did was dedicated swooping hop and pops, you still could find yourself coming to in freefall. You may or may not use an aad.

And you bring up a good point, that your procedure for this eventuality should definitely take what kind of main you have into account. And of course there's the already learned in blood lesson that it doesn't make sense to spend good money on an aad when your reserve is loaded at 3 to 1. But it should be noted people have died landing very docile reserves without input with bad luck on wind direction and speed and obstacles.

But I'm also looking for a broader discussion on the subject.

If I don't have altitude awareness I would go to my reserve because it opens faster. If I started to get tunnel vision or worried I would have an issue but had sufficient altitude I would go to my main. My primary rig is a sabre 2 210 with a raven I as a reserve. If I could choose one for an unconscious landing I'd choose the sabre. It's lightly loaded and big. I don't want a small main and I'm not going to swoop...ever...so that's what is right for me. Some people have pretty small mains for swooping but my understanding is most of them also have pretty heavily loaded reserves so they will get hurt either way.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

You meant to type reserve? instead of main?

People buy main that are tiny so that they can have fun. If you can not understand that part, than why are people jumping out of airplane in the first place?

They are stuck with tiny reserve since it is hard to find manufacturer that makes container that will fit 210 reserve with 79 Velo.

So it doesn't make sense for them to have an AAD, some decided to rather go in vs getting mangled and end up in hospital for a while.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

miconar

Recently I was exposed to several incidents where jumpers were knocked partially out in freefall, or blacked out and only half "came to" still in freefall. In all cases jumpers pulled their main out of habit as soon as they realized they were in freefall. One case came close to a two out by aad, and two had injuries from landing mains under partial control and awareness.

This got me thinking about what I want to try and plan for. Of course it's hard to control your actions when you're not "all there". But im thinking maybe the right thing to train for if you can't verify altitude immediately and don't know what's going on, tunnel vision or limbs not fully reacting, is to go for your reserve. Better for no flare landing, less likely to need to use your hands and body to fix a malfunction etc. Eliminate the possibility of a 2 out low to the ground when you're already physically or mentally out of it, and get a canopy out faster in case you're already low. But only one chance to get a good canopy.

One jumper had her right hand completely paralyzed and left hand partially paralyzed. She spent 8500 ft pulling her metal d ring style reserve handle, just working to get her thumb in. Really made me think about my soft handle again.

What are some of your thoughts about gear and procedure for being in freefall with partial consciousness and/or partial control or use of your limbs?

The simplest and most correct answer is:

First, stop the freefall.

Then at least you'll be alive to sort the other stuff out.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

The reality is that most (if not all) of us will go for the main.

The muscle memory, the repetition, the fact that even if we have practiced pulling the reserve, we end every freefall by reaching back and pitching the main.

It's been so deeply ingrained in our consciousness that pulling the reserve instead is pretty unlikely.

There have been multiple examples where people get out low (due to airplane issues) and plan to pull the reserve due to the low altitude, but end up pulling the main instead.

The "gun guys" have the mantra "train like you fight because you'll fight like you've trained." Tons and tons of stories of bad habits in training getting people killed when it got real.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

muscle memory can be a great thing, can also be the worst thing in the right (wrong) situation.

watched a very experienced friend blow through 1k then throw his main.

it worked out, the canopy ride was about 5 seconds but he beat himself up over it repeatedly since he knew to use his main- but to use his words "I didn't consciously decide to pull the main, my body took over" [:/]

Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.