kj126

Lawyer intergrity

Recently i refinanced my home and allowed another lawyer handle the proceedings,(from previous 2 purchases) only for convienence.
Very laid back and quick process for the most part, but while signing till my hand fell off, the lawyer and bank rep engaged in a conversation about a previous mortgage where a Latino man who had paid for the home in cash was asked to provide a SSN for verification.
Of course there was a reason he paid in cash, and went on to say that he could not locate it, the lawyer then contacted their CPA(i believe) telling them to just ask them to supply a SSN, and that it was not their responsibility to verify if it was even his.

He eventually did supply one and the purchase was completed.

My thoughts are when we have people paid to abide by the laws and to uphold them turning a blind eye to make $385 on a home closing WTF.

Now even having another one of my friends (a realtor) look over my paper work to make sure nothing unusual was thrown in.

And also commented on mthe fact not knowing exactly where but for 100 bucks these immigrants could obtain a SSN. somewhere in town.[:/][:/]

Thoughts?
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Fake SSN cards are really easy to come by, lots of people have them. Kind of unnerving once you realize this. Some of them are pretty good too, but most are printed out on an ink-jet printer.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm not going to get in to the Illegal aliens thing , But why is a SSN for a cash purchase ? You don't need to be a US citizen to buy property and if your not a Citizen you wouldn't have a SSN.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

The government hates cash. Hard to tax.
I the future they will probably pass a tax on cash transactions.:(

In most states, the tax is already there, regardless of the manner by which the transaction is financed. Generally, state real estate transfer tax needs to be paid in order to record the deed (because until the new deed is recorded, the state may not legally recognize the transfer, resulting in a "clouded title"), so it's usually paid at the closing table.

For a technically-taxable sales transaction for an asset for which there is no need to formally transfer and record ownership title, yes, tax laws can sometimes be unlawfully evaded, if one is so inclined, by paying cash. But where title ownership must be formally transfered and recorded, for example with real estate or vehicles, it really doesn't matter; the tax must be paid when the title-of-record is transferred, regardless of how the purchase may have been paid for.

That's why you do require a Tax Number on selling of the property or the maximum taxable amount would be with held from the sales proceeds.

A Tax number is available to foreign people and companies

I'm not going to get in to the Illegal aliens thing , But why is a SSN for a cash purchase ? You don't need to be a US citizen to buy property and if your not a Citizen you wouldn't have a SSN.

In addition to the other answers provided, some of the ID laws were put in place to track drug and other crime money.
Tom B

In addition to the other answers provided, some of the ID laws were put in place to track drug and other crime money.

Not sure how it applies here...but i know there are forms to be filled out and submitted to Uncle Sam anytime a cash tansaction exceeds 10K.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Recently i refinanced my home and allowed another lawyer handle the proceedings,(from previous 2 purchases) only for convienence.
Very laid back and quick process for the most part, but while signing till my hand fell off, the lawyer and bank rep engaged in a conversation about a previous mortgage where a Latino man who had paid for the home in cash was asked to provide a SSN for verification.
Of course there was a reason he paid in cash, and went on to say that he could not locate it, the lawyer then contacted their CPA(i believe) telling them to just ask them to supply a SSN, and that it was not their responsibility to verify if it was even his.

He eventually did supply one and the purchase was completed.

My thoughts are when we have people paid to abide by the laws and to uphold them turning a blind eye to make $385 on a home closing WTF.

Now even having another one of my friends (a realtor) look over my paper work to make sure nothing unusual was thrown in.

And also commented on mthe fact not knowing exactly where but for 100 bucks these immigrants could obtain a SSN. somewhere in town.[:/][:/]

Thoughts?

I'm not a lawyer, but broad brushing an entire profession is not right - despite the jokes. I have known a few lawyers and in general they were pretty decent people. That said one of them gave up practicing law after he had to prosecute his own dealerB| It scared the crap out of him that the guy would give up the goods.

Anyway despite my defense of lawyers in general you can take no-win no-fee ambulance chasers and use them however you like preferably for target practice.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

The government hates cash. Hard to tax.
I the future they will probably pass a tax on cash transactions.:(

In most states, the tax is already there, regardless of the manner by which the transaction is financed. Generally, state real estate transfer tax needs to be paid in order to record the deed (because until the new deed is recorded, the state may not legally recognize the transfer, resulting in a "clouded title"), so it's usually paid at the closing table.

For a technically-taxable sales transaction for an asset for which there is no need to formally transfer and record ownership title, yes, tax laws can sometimes be unlawfully evaded, if one is so inclined, by paying cash. But where title ownership must be formally transfered and recorded, for example with real estate or vehicles, it really doesn't matter; the tax must be paid when the title-of-record is transferred, regardless of how the purchase may have been paid for.

---------------------------------------------------------
I was off topic. Thinking more of business in cash and that cash can go right into pocket
that is labeled fuck the IRS.
Also my cash transaction tax would for using cash to
purchase items that one could use a credit card or check for. This would keep the cash out of that
certain pocket because there is a paper trail.

Not true - I had a social security number for a long time before being a citizen. I don't remember if it was issued when we came to the US or when I became a US resident (I was too young to concern myself with that at the time).

Not true - I had a social security number for a long time before being a citizen. I don't remember if it was issued when we came to the US or when I became a US resident (I was too young to concern myself with that at the time).

True non Citizens can get one I should have said those who are authorized to work in the US

I'm not a lawyer, but broad brushing an entire profession is not right - despite the jokes. I have known a few lawyers and in general they were pretty decent people. That said one of them gave up practicing law after he had to prosecute his own dealerB| It scared the crap out of him that the guy would give up the goods.

Anyway despite my defense of lawyers in general you can take no-win no-fee ambulance chasers and use them however you like preferably for target practice.

Always amazed how things turn so personal here.
Broad brushing? Did i ever say all lawyers or did I site a specific event with only 1.:S

With all the new impliments of purchasing and refinancing the SSN goes into a data base for potential terrorist.As it was explained to me.

My issue with the whole thing and how it has personally affected me, is the illegals that have swamped our small township decreasing property value all around my neighbor hood and also with 2 friends off mine being caught up in a hit and run car accidents where they were left to deal with the problems.
I also totalled my 05 camry after one such person made me swerve into oncoming traffic and flipped my car. (I have the video from the convienent store camera), And under our state laws if no contact is made its the fault of the sole driver.

So insurance up, property down, friends in accidents and this single lawyer played part in the activity.
Am I bitter, Fuck yes!
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Always amazed how things turn so personal here.
Broad brushing? Did i ever say all lawyers or did I site a specific event with only 1.:S

With all the new impliments of purchasing and refinancing the SSN goes into a data base for potential terrorist.As it was explained to me.

My issue with the whole thing and how it has personally affected me, is the illegals that have swamped our small township decreasing property value all around my neighbor hood and also with 2 friends off mine being caught up in a hit and run car accidents where they were left to deal with the problems.
I also totalled my 05 camry after one such person made me swerve into oncoming traffic and flipped my car. (I have the video from the convienent store camera), And under our state laws if no contact is made its the fault of the sole driver.

So insurance up, property down, friends in accidents and this single lawyer played part in the activity.
Am I bitter, Fuck yes!

my bad - I thought the title of "lawyer integrity" was mean't to imply no lawyers had any integrity. I have absolutely no sympathy for illegal immigrants, so I can understand your frustrations.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.