cliffwhite

Depleted Uranium

Considering the many potential ill health effects that depleted uranium may cause, should the USA face war crime trials for using it in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Should the American GI worry about his kid being born grossly malformed?

Blues,
Cliff

Aviation flight control counterweights are made of that. We've beeen using it for decades, not sure if we still do.

Considering the many potential ill health effects that depleted uranium may cause, should the USA face war crime trials for using it in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Blues,
Cliff

Where did your father serve again????

Blues,
Cliff

DU rounds have been used for decades. What are the birth defect rates attributed to those uses?

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Ah ok.. Jersey water.... thanks.

I think I would worry more about the water, air and chemical polution there

That and Mob vilolence. Lots to worry about if you're a worrier.
There's also a lot of beauty if you want to focus on that instead.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

[reply

DU rounds have been used for decades. What are the birth defect rates attributed to those uses?

And the Jeapordy answer is : "No amount of depleted Uranium is considered safe for human consumption/ exposure."

Blues,
Cliff[edit] Some nice stuff eh? [:/] Gulf War syndrome and soldier complaints

Approximate area and major clashes in which DU bullets and rounds were used in the Gulf War.
Graph showing the rate per 1,000 births of congenital malformations observed at Basra University Hospital, Iraq[78]Main article: Gulf War syndrome
Increased rates of immune system disorders and other wide-ranging symptoms, including chronic pain, fatigue and memory loss, have been reported in over one quarter of combat veterans of the 1991 Gulf War.[79] Combustion products from depleted uranium munitions are being considered as one of the potential causes by the Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses, as DU was used in 30 mm and smaller caliber machine-gun bullets on a large scale for the first time in the Gulf War. Veterans of the conflicts in the Persian Gulf, Bosnia and Kosovo have been found to have up to 14 times the usual level of chromosome abnormalities in their genes.[80][81] Serum-soluble genotoxic teratogens produce congenital disorders, and in white blood cells causes immune system damage.[82]

Human epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects in the offspring of persons exposed to DU.[11] A 2001 study of 15,000 February 1991 U.S. Gulf War combat veterans and 15,000 control veterans found that the Gulf War veterans were 1.8 (fathers) to 2.8 (mothers) times more likely to have children with birth defects.[83] After examination of children's medical records two years later, the birth defect rate increased by more than 20%:

"Dr. Kang found that male Gulf War veterans reported having infants with likely birth defects at twice the rate of non-veterans. Furthermore, female Gulf War veterans were almost three times more likely to report children with birth defects than their non-Gulf counterparts. The numbers changed somewhat with medical records verification. However, Dr. Kang and his colleagues concluded that the risk of birth defects in children of deployed male veterans still was about 2.2 times that of non-deployed veterans."[84]
In early 2004, the UK Pensions Appeal Tribunal Service attributed birth defect claims from a February 1991 Gulf War combat veteran to depleted uranium poisoning.[85][86] Children of British soldiers who fought in wars in which depleted uranium ammunition was used are at greater risk of suffering genetic diseases such as congenital malformations, commonly called "birth defects," passed on by their fathers. In a study of U.K. troops, "Overall, the risk of any malformation among pregnancies reported by men was 50% higher in Gulf War Veterans (GWV) compared with Non-GWVs."[87]

The U.S. Army has commissioned ongoing research into potential risks of depleted uranium and other projectile weapon materials like tungsten, which the U.S. Navy has used in place of DU since 1993. Studies by the U.S. Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute conclude that moderate exposures to either depleted uranium or uranium present a significant toxicological threat.[88]

One particular subgroup of veterans which may be at higher risk comprises those who have internally retained fragments of DU from shrapnel wounds. A laboratory study on rats produced by the Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute showed that, after a study period of 6 months, rats treated with depleted uranium coming from implanted pellets, comparable to the average levels in the urine of Desert Storm veterans with retained DU fragments, had developed a significant tendency to lose weight with respect to the control group.[89] Substantial amounts of uranium were accumulating in their brains and central nervous systems, and showed a significant reduction of neuronal activity in the hippocampus in response to external stimuli. The conclusions of the study show that brain damage from chronic uranium intoxication is possible at lower doses than previously thought. Results from computer-based neurocognitive tests performed in 1997 showed an association between uranium in the urine and "problematic performance on automated tests assessing performance efficiency and accuracy."[90]

In 2003 Professor Brian Spratt FRS, chairman of the Royal Society's working group on depleted uranium, said: "The question of who carries out the initial monitoring and clean-up is a political rather than scientific question," and "the coalition needs to acknowledge that depleted uranium is a potential hazard and make in-roads into tackling it by being open about where and how much depleted uranium has been deployed." [7]

Since 2001, medical personnel at the Basra hospital in southern Iraq have reported a sharp increase in the incidence of child leukemia and genetic malformation among babies born in the decade following the Gulf War. Iraqi doctors attributed these malformations to possible long-term effects of DU, an opinion which was echoed by several newspapers[91][92][93][94] But no peer-reviewed study has been undertaken in Basra. The International Coalition to Ban Uranium Weapons (ICBUW) has made a call to support an epidemiological study in the Basra region, as asked for by Iraqi doctors[95].

[edit] 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Ah ok.. Jersey water.... thanks.

I think I would worry more about the water, air and chemical polution there

That and Mob vilolence. Lots to worry about if you're a worrier.
There's also a lot of beauty if you want to focus on that instead.

Blues,
Cliff

People have been dying from lead poisioningfor a lot longer.... DU is just more dense....and still good for terminal force poisioning.

[reply

And the Jeapordy answer is : "No amount of depleted Uranium is considered safe for human consumption/ exposure."

Blues,
Cliff

No amount of steel is considered safe for human consumption.

If you want to pursue war crimes for deformed babies due to DU, you're going to need at least one example.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

troll

[edit]

DU is only used in tank rounds which aren't fired much in Iraq and Afghanistan. Since the enemy has no heavy armor to destroy, we don't have a lot to shoot at with DU sabot rounds.

Sabot rounds are basically a very hard steel dart meant to penetrate up to 19 inches of hardened steel and explode inside the enemy vehicle showering the bad guys with highly radioactive, superheated shards of Depleted Uranium and pieces of the enemy's own armor shredding them even further.

But, if you aren't trying to penetrate thick armor then the sabot round is practically useless because it is a very small diameter penetrator (about the size of a thick carrot or Ron Jeremy).

99.99% of all ammo expended in these conflicts are regular old full metal jacket 5.56 (M-16/M4) or .50 cal (M2 Heavy machine gun). If tank rounds are used, they are most likely HEAT (High Explosive AntiTank) rounds, which have a high explosive shape charge and no DU.

Heat rounds are much better for destroying lightly armored vehicles, buildings, groups of innocent civilians, or whatever else you feel like destroying because they explode on impact and cause much greater damage on soft targets.

Here are two articles explaining the difference for those of you that have never served our country in any capacity besides armchair quarterback (like cliff)

M829 ARMOR PIERCING FIN-STABILIZED DISCARDING SABOT for M1A1/A2 Tanks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M829_%28munition%29

High Explosive Anti Tank (HEAT) Round
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_explosive_anti-tank_warhead

But it doesn't matter anyway, you will just find another reason that American soldiers should be prosecuted. Go crawl back in your hole, cliff.

Thats hot!!!

Here are two articles explaining the difference for those of you that have never served our country in any capacity besides armchair quarterback (like cliff)

Somehow I don't picture him as being on the team if ya know what I mean...... maybe one of the guys who cleans up the stable after the race.

He was a priest/pastor of Corpous Christi Roman Catholic Church in Willingboro ,N.J

Why does nobody else find this funny or at least worthy of comment? :ph34r:

What ? The spelling error? OK it was Corpus Christi.

Sorry to dampen the amusement with the correction.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

Nah I am not a spelling nazi.
It's the fact that Catholic priests take a vow of celibacy and you claim that you had one as a father that I find amusing.....not that it is an impossible or unheard of situation mind you. :)

LOL! Could be that I'm the second Christ born of Imaculate Conception! Or the first Messaih if you're a jew!
Or it could be that Amazon asked about my "father" which has several definitions.

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

Oh.., just one more thing, birdshit..,

Seems the army who told you they aren't using depleted uranium there..,

They also said that they weren't using it at the Pohakuloa Training Area in Hawai .
Of course now they want to clean up that area of depleted uranium.

Jessica Lynch, .., Pat Tillman.

The army is a very credible source ,I'm sure!!!!

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

well as you cackle on, they're seeming more credible than you (at least to most of us).

"most of us" ,rhaig?
Has some group appointed you spokesperson or is there a mouse in your pocket?
or perhaps you have multiple personalities in your head?
If only "most " of them agree that they are more credible,can I assume that some number of them do assign to me a greater amount of credibility?

Blues,
Cliff
2muchTruth

"most", in this usage, implies a majority. This implies there is an opposing minority.

Given the sample size, even as small as it is, I would accept that there exists at least one dz.com reader that believes your assertions are more truthful than those of the US Army. The reasons behind that likely vary and I will not assume what they might be.
--
Rob