riddler

45,000 americans die every year due to lack of health insurance

The government does not need their hand in the game as a competitive insurer. They need to set the rules that create an even playing field for insurers to compete, and act as a clearinghouse, sort of a 1 stop shop where people can compare and decide for themselves.

Agreed.

What does need to be in place is some sort of crediting system or sliding scale pricing based on income so that people can afford to go shopping.

Yes and no. There are places already where services are provided on a sliding scale basis. HOWEVER, if you take Medicare, you are not allowed to charge a private pay patient less than you are taking for medicaid. The government itself has messed this up.

edit to change medicaid to medicare.

What does need to be in place is some sort of crediting system or sliding scale pricing based on income so that people can afford to go shopping.

sure - you go and get a physical - you pay $1500 for it

the next guy in line gets the exact same service and pays $123 - but then gets a local credit from the state (from your taxes also) so the final cost is $20, then he doesn't pay the bill anyway and the doctor eats it. Next time you get a physical your cost is now $1520

sounds "fair"

would you like a sliding scale at the grocery store too?

how about buying a car or house? wait a sec, we tried both, it was such a success :S

let's just all go shopping and keep a copy of our tax returns for the clerks to 'calculate' our tabs

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How long to you think everyone else will be able to afford the gas, when the public transportation system you cites gets their fuel for free?

Nice straw man.

Wrong - I did not misrepresent your argument.

Taxpayer funded is not free. If private insurance companies can't run as efficiently as public insurance programs, then why should people be forced to use them? OTOH, if public insurance doesn't work as efficiently as private insurance companies, then people will choose the private option.

And how are people NOT going to be forced to use the 'public option' once they've undercut everyone else? I seem to recall a couple laws about that - of course, they're not applicable against fed.gov.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The government does not need their hand in the game as a competitive insurer. They need to set the rules that create an even playing field for insurers to compete, and act as a clearinghouse, sort of a 1 stop shop where people can compare and decide for themselves.

In some industries, profit is a necessary incentive to drive innovation. What innovations do you envision profits motivating in the insurance industry?

I see insurance as risk sharing. I don't see any significant innovations that will change the inherent methods of sharing that risk. The more different risk categories that are created, the further insurance gets from the ideal of pooling and sharing risk to keep costs predictable. In other words, in the insurance industry, I view profit as parasitic.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

http://www.swissinfo.ch/ger/startseite/Schweizer_Gesundheitssystem_als_Vorbild_fuer_die_USA.html?siteSect=105&sid=11204319&rss=true&ty=st

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gesundheitswesen_Schweiz

oh, you dont read german too!? does that mean the US-system sucks there too!? because i dont only speak german, french and english, this education was also brought to me for free.. :|

Do you have anything to actually ADD to the discussion, or just sniping?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I used to say the problem with health care is that everybody wants to pay for a Chevy and drive a Cadillac. It appears more and more people want a free car, with maintenance and fuel to boot. Not sustainable.

I think it would be more accurate to say that more people want a viable public transportation system to have as an option to owning and/or operating a private vehicle.

Public, private, does not matter. When everybody wants a free ride, or more accurately when enough of the population wants to ride far enough below cost that the system is not sustainable; then at some point you have to look at the total cost versus continuing to burden the few that can pay.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I did not misrepresent your argument.

Yes, you did.

And how are people NOT going to be forced to use the 'public option' once they've undercut everyone else?

I think the term option adequately explains how people will not be forced away from their private insurers. OTOH, if those private insurers can't offer competitive prices, then people will have the option of using a public system.

When everybody wants a free ride, or more accurately when enough of the population wants to ride far enough below cost that the system is not sustainable; then at some point you have to look at the total cost versus continuing to burden the few that can pay.

I do not see the desire to have a public option as equivalent to desiring a free ride.

A government plan once guarantee issue is in place makes no sense at all. It is an ideologically driven agenda item that becomes obsolete once people can no longer be classified as uninsureable.

Another good idea. But when the government does that, they are also impinging on the free market by requiring cost distribution for consumers. Both ways require government intervention, and both will be flawed.

There is a monumental amount of government regulation for healthcare providers already. It hasn't worked thus far to drive down costs to reasonable levels, and I doubt that adding more will do the trick. The government option is more drastic, and I think it would achieve more marked results.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

That's like saying a motorola Razr cellphone that costs $49 is better than a Samsung cell phone that's free. It might be a little better, but not much, and there are still better phones out there (iPhone, Blackberry, etc).

So you are saying you would rather have a Samsung cell phone that's free than an iPhone?

Then why would you be opposed to a government option?

Name a Govt program that works well.
Name a Govt program that stays within its budget.
Name any govt run healthcare program that does not have budget issues.

Then there are other situations.... Let's say you had a company and you currently pay 5k a year to have each of your employees covered by your healthcare plan. The Govt imposes a "fine" if you don't cover your employees of 3k a year.

Are you still going to provide healthcare?

I know several company's that if a public option is passed plan on dropping the Company paid plans and just paying the smaller fine. that just makes good business sense.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Yeah, whatever - that must be why the US is ranked #1 in the only criteria that actually measures how well the doctors and hospitals perfom, because we're a third world country.

obviously our optometrists suck too, because i dont see my country represented in your chart.. and the UK is known to have about the suckiest health care, so you're doing quite good in comparison to them, i see...

You are confusing anecdotes and emotion-based perceptions with outcomes measured over populations and time.

Outcomes are what it is all about; though the other side of that coin is that those outcomes have a price. We have great results in the US, and also have a huge price tag.

Careful of the stats on beds, docs, machines etc. They measure capacity, which is not to be ignored, but is not a measure of outcomes. In some places, especially large urban areas, there is excess capacity, which represents additional cost (just like having an oversize inventory). Usually excess capacity is the result of providers trying to compete, but it can result in adding cost to the system with no value added.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

So you are saying you would rather have a Samsung cell phone that's free than an iPhone?

What I'm saying is that you can't compare socialized medicine to a Samsung, and the US medical system to an iPhone. I'm also saying that not everyone can afford an iPhone, that's why the Samsungs of the world are there. But it doesn't mean the government is going to require us all to get Razrs - it means there is an OPTION to get cheaper cell phones if you can't afford the more expensive model.

Name a Govt program that works well.
Name a Govt program that stays within its budget.
Name any govt run healthcare program that does not have budget issues.

If you believe these are valid arguments, then you should have zero problem with a government option. After all, it will eventually fail due to it's own bureaucracy and then people will buy the better, private insurance, correct?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

The sliding scale is for the term charges (premiums) not the charge for each individual service.

I know that any kind of ability-to-pay based pricing is going to come off as a redistribution-of-wealth policy and will cause resistance. But the redistribution of wealth train left the station a long time ago and is not coming back (at least not until after the Apocolypse). If it were more palatable as a tax differential, then it could be worked that way.

We are headed for guarantee issue, no doubt about it. There will be some compromises in order to make it affordable overall, and to make it an acceptable program to the majority. There are going to have to be credits or sliding scale premiums because even if we reduce the cost of care by say a quarter overnight, there will still be a significant chunk of the population priced out of coverage.

Think of it in the same vein as the reduced lunch price programs. People with little or no money do not get shut out of lunch, but are allowed to pay less.

You do not want to deny the children a meal do you?:P

I did not misrepresent your argument.

Yes, you did.

I used your analogy to frame my rebuttal - if you consider that a 'strawman', then that's YOUR opinion.

And how are people NOT going to be forced to use the 'public option' once they've undercut everyone else?

I think the term option adequately explains how people will not be forced away from their private insurers. OTOH, if those private insurers can't offer competitive prices, then people will have the option of using a public system.

Right NOW, it's an "option" - what is it when it's the only game in town?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The sliding scale is for the term charges (premiums) not the charge for each individual service.

I know that any kind of ability-to-pay based pricing is going to come off as a redistribution-of-wealth policy and will cause resistance. But the redistribution of wealth train left the station a long time ago and is not coming back (at least not until after the Apocolypse). If it were more palatable as a tax differential, then it could be worked that way.

We are headed for guarantee issue, no doubt about it. There will be some compromises in order to make it affordable overall, and to make it an acceptable program to the majority. There are going to have to be credits or sliding scale premiums because even if we reduce the cost of care by say a quarter overnight, there will still be a significant chunk of the population priced out of coverage.

Think of it in the same vein as the reduced lunch price programs. People with little or no money do not get shut out of lunch, but are allowed to pay less.

You do not want to deny the children a meal do you?:P

AGAIN The Government as ALREADY limited that option for those who take medicare. You are NOT ALLOWED to charge less than you charge to medicare. They call that Fraud.

Now... some facilities DO have a sliding scale. They don't take medicare patients. And you have to bring in a pay slip or proof of income for that sliding scale.

When everybody wants a free ride, or more accurately when enough of the population wants to ride far enough below cost that the system is not sustainable; then at some point you have to look at the total cost versus continuing to burden the few that can pay.

I do not see the desire to have a public option as equivalent to desiring a free ride.

Good point, I'm overlapping topics.

My contention is that a government plan, unless they decide to play by all the same rules as commercial carriers, will not be just another competitor, but a heavily subsidized program - as are all government run programs today.

The only need for it is if they present it as a bare bones plan that would only appeal to people who can not afford decent coverage. If they offer a product that is similar to the commercials, but subsidize it so that it is cheaper, then they are not really competing but pricing the commercials out of business via taxpayer subsidy.

My assumption is that everyone will want at least a decent package of basic coverage; and that many of those will not be able to pay for it. They will expect it at a reduced price (reduced from the true cost to provide it) and so will be asking for a reduced price or free ride. If that population is large enough, then the system becomes unsustainable.

So redistribution of the burden will only get us so far. Reduction in total cost must also be part of the plan.

Bottom line is that I'd rather see sliding scale premiums that make real coverage affordable for everyone than throwing everyone with low income into substandard care plans; or worse yet subsidizing a government plan that "competes" with commercial carriers.

There is a monumental amount of government regulation for healthcare providers already. It hasn't worked thus far to drive down costs to reasonable levels, and I doubt that adding more will do the trick. The government option is more drastic, and I think it would achieve more marked results.

The regulation in place today is a haphazard pile of shit. Very little of it has to do with keeping costs down, it mostly has to do with granting favored status and imposing additional costs on behalf of special interests.

We need there to be overall less of it, but put in place at the federal level (today most of it is still at the state level). You would not believe how some of it has gotten in. MN has a law to cover wigs for patients that have a certian specific type of cancer that was inserted by a single legislator to appease a single constituent. That kind of crap has been piled in for the last 30 years. It is a fucking mess. There are rules and exceptions galore that are mostly in place because of influential individuals, mandates for treatments that are proven ineffective, preferential treatment of political subdivisions, etc.

What we have has more to do with politics and the sleazy fuckwads we keep putting in office than health care or financing of it for the communal good.

Some believe personal responsibility doesn't stop with themselves.

If that is a justification for the continued privatization of healthcare, I'm curious if you think the people in nearly every other industrialized nation are irresponsible? So does that mean all the other countries have people that don't want to take responsibility for themselves?

No, not in my opinion.

Again, imo, health care -- which is not the same as health insurance reform or medical malpractice reform or a whole bunch of other issues -- is not a right. I'm open to arguments to the contrary.

It is, however, a state responsibility, e.g., "promote the general welfare," and a pragmatic necessity of 21st Century globalized economy.

Most of what is being discussed for possible legislation is health insurance reform, which as you probably know the current status quo/system is largely an unexpected by-product of historical circumstances during and immediately after WWII.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

What I'm saying is that you can't compare socialized medicine to a Samsung, and the US medical system to an iPhone

Sure you can. One is free, but not as good as the one you have to pay for.

But it doesn't mean the government is going to require us all to get Razrs

The Govt *IS* requiring you to get AT LEAST a Razor... Or they will fine you.

If you believe these are valid arguments, then you should have zero problem with a government option.

Wrong... Social Security is not an Option, and it is run like crap. Me paying for Medicare and Medicaid is not an option either. Me paying for Amtrak is also not an option... All are run like crap.

After all, it will eventually fail due to it's own bureaucracy and then people will buy the better, private insurance, correct?

Name one Govt social program that was put into place, proven to not work, and was eliminated.

History has shown that the Govt does not do a good job of running these programs... That taxpayers are always left on the hook to pay for these program, and even then the Govt just passes the debt along to the next generation.

Go ahead, I see you have not answered any of my questions, so I will ask again:

1. Name a Govt program that works well.
2. Name a Govt program that stays within its budget.
3. Name any govt run healthcare program that does not have budget issues.

4. Let's say you had a company and you currently pay 5k a year to have each of your employees covered by your healthcare plan. The Govt imposes a "fine" if you don't cover your employees of 3k a year.

Are you still going to provide healthcare?

5. Name one Govt social program that was put into place, proven to not work, and was eliminated.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Again, imo, health care … is not a right. I'm open to arguments to the contrary.

A good friend of mine, whose opinion I tend to greatly respect, has the United Nation's Universal Declaration of Human Rights sitting prominently on her bookshelf.

I would argue that Article 25, paragraph 1 of that document implies a right to health care.

Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

While the UN's General Assembly lacks the legal authority of the UNSC, I believe it still supports the assertion that health care is a right.

Again, imo, health care … is not a right. I'm open to arguments to the contrary.

A good friend of mine, whose opinion I tend to greatly respect, has the United Nation's Universal Declaration of Human Rights sitting prominently on her bookshelf.

I would argue that Article 25, paragraph 1 of that document implies a right to health care.

Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

While the UN's General Assembly lacks the legal authority of the UNSC, I believe it still supports the assertion that health care is a right.

Great - who are you planning on enslaving to provide those "rights"?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Nice sentiment, but certain vague terms leave it open to interpretation and subject to supporting multiple contradicting agendas.

For instance:

". . . necessary social services . . ." and ". . . beyond his control."

Kind of like those that seem to think the phrase ". . . Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" means the government should coddle and nuture from cradle to grave.

Awesome, so lets go right ahead and set up a system like in the UK (which obamacare is modelled after) where a patient in the hospital is so thirsty they drink water from a nearby plant or 4,000 women give birth in hallways because there isn't enough room or someones spleen supposedly removed spleen bursts.......Its so great we must make sure everyone has access to such a great healthcare system!