mikkey

Handbook for AGW sceptics

Given sufficient height, I can prove that mass of the Earth exerts a force sufficient to accelerate the apple at a rate of 32fps squared.

No, you can't. You can demonstrate that the apple accelerates at ~32 f/s, but you cannot prove that the mass of the earth is, in fact, the cause of the observed acceleration.

Touche' - I see your point. Of course, experiments SINCE Newton and Galileo *have* proven it, so it's a bit of a wash.

Of course, if you want to claim that your experiment does, in fact, prove gravity, then AGW can be (and has been) proven with similar observed observed correlations in the same manner.

Like JackC's link to a closed-system experiment as 'proof', you mean?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm touched. You called someone "Professor" just like I did before I was banned. Speechless....

Kallend *IS* a Professor...that may be the difference. ;)

Prabably a "Climate Scientist" as well.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Oh wow I just looked at his profile. Cool. Well, I look forward to any inappropriate uses of "professor" in the future.

However, I am fascinated that you are battling with a physics professor on the issue. I'd hate to say it... but he just might have more genuine information on his side....

Edit:

Professor-unit Kallend might have more genuine information on the side of which it perceives from.

You can call me Gilligan. I remember once when Gilligan told the Professor that he'd found a mine on the island. An iron mine. The professor told him it was impossible.

Gilligan proved he was right and showed him that his assumption was incorrect.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Well, Gilligan, does the fact that you were correct make your position more valuable, and if so, why?

Hint: It has everything to do with dogmatism. The professor in this case is bound to the scientific method, meaning that if alternating evidence comes about, he (professor-unit) must take it into account, and if necessary, change the hypothesis.

edit:

Our real-life professor has access to the same methods and information that mnealtx does (And probably more-much more) and is in quite a position to debate the issue...

Oh wow I just looked at his profile. Cool. Well, I look forward to any inappropriate uses of "professor" in the future.

However, I am fascinated that you are battling with a physics professor on the issue. I'd hate to say it... but he just might have more genuine information on his side....

Edit:

Professor-unit Kallend might have more genuine information on the side of which it perceives from.

Appeal to authority?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Also, I didn't say that he was right.

Appeal to authority:

Person is an expert

Person says X about what he is an expert in

Therefore, Person is correct about X.

I said no such thing. I said he is in a much better position than you.

By virtue of his being a professor, yes. And "amazed" that I would argue with him.

Certainly sounds like you're impressed with his 'authoritay' ...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Being impressed with "authoritay" doesn't mean I have committed the fallacy. You would have to point out where I said he was right because of his authoritative position to correctly accuse me of it.

I am impressed with the authority. Guilty. Unfortunately, being impressed with the authority isn't adequate for your accusation.

Take a good hard look at the motha fuckin boat!

>Newton proved the law of gravity how many hundreds of years ago?

So how does it work? Show me the proof that mass causes gravity. Explain how. Surely if it's been "proven" for hundreds of years you can easily tell me, for example. how gravity goes from say the sun to the earth.

>The cigarette one is a *little* more applicable - despite the carcinogens,
>the scientists and doctors can't PROVE you'll get cancer if you smoke...
>just that it's possible.

If you think that cigarette smoking does not negatively impact your health, then I can understand why you also think that CO2 does not cause warming.

Being impressed with "authoritay" doesn't mean I have committed the fallacy. You would have to point out where I said he was right because of his authoritative position to correctly accuse me of it.

I am impressed with the authority. Guilty. Unfortunately, being impressed with the authority isn't adequate for your accusation.

Take a good hard look at the motha fuckin boat!

You claim that "he has more genuine information on his side", based solely on his academic credentials.

Take a good hard look at the motha fuckin post!!!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So how does it work? Show me the proof that mass causes gravity. Explain how. Surely if it's been "proven" for hundreds of years you can easily tell me, for example. how gravity goes from say the sun to the earth.

Newton's law of gravitation. Google it. Also reference Harry Cavendish, Einsteins general relativity and curved space-time equations, as well as black holes.

>The cigarette one is a *little* more applicable - despite the carcinogens,
>the scientists and doctors can't PROVE you'll get cancer if you smoke...
>just that it's possible.

If you think that cigarette smoking does not negatively impact your health, then I can understand why you also think that CO2 does not cause warming.

WHERE THE FUCK did I say that smoking is harmless???? Can you actually reply to what I actually WRITE, for once???
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'd hate to say it... but he just might have more genuine information on his side....

>You claim that "he has more genuine information on his side", based solely on his academic credentials.

As a professional with an extremely strong background in Physics and Engineering, he gives us a solid scientific background with which to evaluate.

You gives us a communications background.

Although it is possible that you could have worked out this problem better than he has, it is far, far less likely that you have it correct and he doesn't. Your posts give us no reason expect you to understand the comparison of arguments of varying inductive strength... so I don't expect you to understand this.

Mmmboat engine make noise motha fuckaaa!

>Newton's law of gravitation. Google it.

I did! I am asking you how gravity gets from the sun to the earth. Waves? Gravitons? Other particles? Does it travel instantaneously? Newton's Law of Gravitation says it does. How does it travel faster than the speed of light?

I mean, surely you can explain something so simple if you claim there is no uncertainty surrounding gravity.

>WHERE THE FUCK did I say that smoking is harmless?

Dude, calm down. I didn't say that you said smoking was harmless. Cursing and putting things in all caps doesn't really advance your argument.

Given sufficient height, I can prove that mass of the Earth exerts a force sufficient to accelerate the apple at a rate of 32fps squared.

No, you can't. You can demonstrate that the apple accelerates at ~32 f/s, but you cannot prove that the mass of the earth is, in fact, the cause of the observed acceleration.

Touche' - I see your point. Of course, experiments SINCE Newton and Galileo *have* proven it, so it's a bit of a wash.

Of course, if you want to claim that your experiment does, in fact, prove gravity, then AGW can be (and has been) proven with similar observed observed correlations in the same manner.

Are you sure it was a closed system?

Is the Earth a closed system?
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Actually, he hasn't "proven" anything. We still assume that it is the masses of two objects that are directly attracted toward each other, but we still cannot answer that it is the mass that does it. There are still other explanations for why "gravity" works. We do "know," however, that "gravity" does work.

Dropping an apple and watching it hit the ground is provable, and has been for several hundred years.

Let me know when adding 20ppm of CO2 to the atmosphere will ALWAYS cause a temperature increase of xC, ok?

Let me know when dropping an object will ALWAYS cause it to accelerate at 9.81m/s^2, and you will have a point.

You're funny when you try to discuss science.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, Gilligan, does the fact that you were correct make your position more valuable, and if so, why?

No. I'm not always right. And like I say frequently, billvon isn't always wrong. [Sly]

[Reply]Hint: It has everything to do with dogmatism.

Funny. That's Mike's frequent point.

[Reply]The professor in this case is bound to the scientific method,

Yes. At least he should be. In college and law school I challenged my professors. I was fortunate to have a few that WANTED t be challenged.

[Reply] meaning that if alternating evidence comes about, he (professor-unit) must take it into account, and if necessary, change the hypothesis.

I don't think there is anyone better at this than billvon. Well, maybe me. Billvon has actually changed my opinion on some things. Again, because afyer reflection I conclude he is actually right.

I like kallend. On a personal basis I like the old limey coot. (Gotta get that in there, prof.). And I have immense personal respect for him.

Mu best friend is a small C communist. I respect the hell out of him. We rarely agree on anything but our mutual love of women, alcohol and hockey. But we respect each other.

[Reply]Our real-life professor has access to the same methods and information that mnealtx does (And probably more-much more) and is in quite a position to debate the issue...

I note that historically, innovation and enlightenment come from those who are not in the established elite.

You said:

Let me know when adding 20ppm of CO2 to the atmosphere will ALWAYS cause a temperature increase of xC, ok?

And I gave you a link which demonstrates that CO2 is a greenhouse gas with an experiment that you can do yourself at home. You obviously think dropping apples proves Newton's laws then why doesn't the experiment in that link prove CO2 is a greehouse gas?

I have to wonder why you continue to bleat "show me the proof" when you have already decided that there is no proof that you will accept?

The reason I provided the initial link plus some others, was simply to revisit this debate because nearly every new empirical data does not fit the models used by AGW proponents and ALL the forecasts and estimates made by the IPCC in previous years have so far NOT come to fruition.

I find it amazing that not more people are starting to revisit their positions (actually quite a few scientists actually are). I find it also annoying how the media is repeating alarmist stories without checking the facts. Al Gore was just down here and repeated some of these lies and it really gets up my nose.

It is not long ago when we here were told by AGW scientists that the bleaching of the coral in the Great Barrier Reef was caused by AGW i.e. CO2 and that the Reef would be dead soon. Since then the coral has begun to recover rapidly - so clearly nothing to do with CO2. I could go on and on - from lack of predicted seas rises, increases of Antarctic ice instead of catastrophic decline, lack of temperature increase etc. etc.

AGW fits so nicely into the modern feeling of humans being guilty and destroying the planet. The comparison to a new age Catholicism where humans are born with guilt is quite interesting.

I can not understand why we are introducing ineffective new tax schemes (carbon trading) that will destroy industries (very important ones here in Australia) and which will just shift to China and India without having any effect even if the AGW theories had some merits.

I am all for subsidising and developing alternative energy sources - carbon based energy is finite. But we are sucked into stupid ways of doing it and lots of other ineffective measures.

It will be interesting to see how this debate develops as the empiric data continues to undermine the theory and models.

For me the moment of truth came to me when I found out years ago that it was so warm in the Viking age that Monks in England produced wine and the Vikings grew crops on Greenland (and called the place "Green"land). I was asking myself - when we see such strong fluctuations in a thousand years (swinging back to a little ice age a few hundred years ago during this period and then back to warming) - why do we insist that a recent warming period has to be man made?

For those who are open minded - try to read and follow some of the links I provided. Most of the media has invested too much into the AGW hype to fairly report on this issue. Do your own research and try to read what some very respected and qualified sientists on the other side have to say.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

>>Hint: It has everything to do with dogmatism.
>Funny. That's Mike's frequent point.

Yea, if only he didn't have such a dogmatic approach hisself (sorry- it's-self) on so many issues on this forum, we might actually have reason left to accept what he has to say this time.

>Yes. At least he should be. In college and law school I challenged my professors. I was fortunate to have a few that WANTED t be challenged.

Great. Kallend seems to be one of those people.

>I don't think there is anyone better at this than billvon. Well, maybe me. Billvon has actually changed my opinion on some things. Again, because afyer reflection I conclude he is actually right.

>I note that historically, innovation and enlightenment come from those who are not in the established elite

Being from the southwest, i.e. New Mexico, I have never met a professor that is amongst the "elite." Each of my professors has made less than 40,000 a year.

I note that at times innovation and enlightenment come from those who are in the established elite. Like Professor Isaac Newton, Or Professor Galileo Galilei.

Therefore, your notion that innovation historically comes from those who are not in the established elite isn't absolute. Actually, it means that socioeconomic status or stature don't always play a role. However, it often does play a role, like when a guy named Copernicus discovered that the Earth was indeed NOT the center of the Universe. He was also part of the social elite, born to a wealthy family.

Schwiiiing!!!

>I note that historically, innovation and enlightenment come from those who are not in the established elite

I note that at times innovation and enlightenment come from those who are in the established elite. Like Professor Isaac Newton, Or Professor Galileo Galilei.
[/Reply]

Hmm. Interesting. First - Galileo merely confirmed Copernicus.

Second - Galileo also had the balls to go against the established dogma. Check out what happened to Galileo the Denier. He was held down, given house arrest, etc. Things aren't like that now, but to deny that there is an environment when scientists and laymen who point out problems with something like AGW are pretty well disparaged, placed on the fringe, etc.

Galileo is a fine example of what happens to a person who goes against the establishment dogma. That danger remains.

I also note that Newton was himself secretive of his experiments with alchemy, lest he get in trouble.

[Reply]Therefore, your notion that innovation historically comes from those who are not in the established elite isn't absolute.

Of course. But by its nature, the elite is the establishment who, perhaps, had brought about their own paradigm shift. Further challenges to the paradigm are to be looked upon with distrust.

Does anybody who has risen to the top on the basis of their theories want their theories to be proven wrong?

[Reply] Actually, it means that socioeconomic status or stature don't always play a role. However, it often does play a role, like when a guy named Copernicus discovered that the Earth was indeed NOT the center of the Universe.

Yes. He delayed publication for years and died right when his book was first printed.

[Reply] He was also part of the social elite, born to a wealthy family.

In the world of ideas and thought, there are those who control it. Hence, people are summarily identified by self-appointed arbiters as qualified or unqualified.