turtlespeed

Why can't people just work for what they want?

Whatever happened to the time when, a person looking for a job, cleaned himself/herself up and met with a potential employer face to face?
Pounding the pavement has turned to pounding the computer key-board. :|

It's still there, in large part. It's just that online applications have largely supplanted the older methods of first-level applications for employment. Frankly that makes it a hell of a lot more efficient for both prospective employee and prospective employer. Most jobs, whether blue-collar or white-collar, still require in-person interviews. Granted, that has reduced somewhat, especially in telecommuting-type jobs.

New technology tends to generate new social paradigms, which often, eventually, supplant the older paradigms. That's fairly applicable to just about all technology. Now please excuse me while I go empty last night's chamber-pot into the outhouse.

>Whatever happened to the time when, a person looking for a job,
>cleaned himself/herself up and met with a potential employer face to face?

You still do that. The computer (and/or the phone, the resume, the web page form, whatever) just gets you in the front door.

>Whatever happened to the time when, a person looking for a job,
>cleaned himself/herself up and met with a potential employer face to face?

You still do that. The computer (and/or the phone, the resume, the web page form, whatever) just gets you in the front door.

[Spock]
I believe I just said that.
[/Spock]