LyraM45

Liberty University bans college dems....

This isn't a democrat vs. republican thing for me. I would be just as shocked if it were the college republicans being told they couldn't have a chapter at a university.

What if mandatory student fees were being used to lobby Congress on contentious issues, where some students believed the opposite of what their fees were being used to lobby?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

where some students believed the opposite of what their fees were being used to lobby?

Then the students should change schools to a public or private liberal college-they're pretty easy to find. Once again-you go to Liberty, you know what to expect.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

where some students believed the opposite of what their fees were being used to lobby?

Then the students should change schools to a public or private liberal college-they're pretty easy to find. Once again-you go to Liberty, you know what to expect.

I'll admit that I set you up.

Student fees from most public universities are generally used to lobby the government on a wide variety of issues (abortion among them, from a pro-choice stance), by the United States Student Association (which, despite it's name, is basically a run of the mill leftish political action committee concerned with a grab bag of issues) and other groups. I have a USSA "students for choice" pin that was given to me by a legislator back when I was in college--he had received it from a lobbyist who was being paid with student fees.

Check out Smith v. UC Regents for an overview of that debate, recognizing that further decisions and other jurisdictions have held differently.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

>I am wondering if I am the only person disturbed by this.

Disturbed? Not really. They're a private college; let them do whatever they want. The damage they do to themselves by taking such actions far eclipses any damage they wish to do to the club they are trying to sanction.

Actually, knowing the kind of fucking religious nutjobs that go to school there....this will probably INCREASE enrollment.

/could not even walk into a dorm to visit his female friend there

could not even walk into a dorm to visit his female friend there

c'mon, you know you have to abide by the restraining order no matter which institutions you are visiting....

c'mon :P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Would you be more or less disturbed if they banned the Comunist Party club? Just wondering.

No.. like I said, this isn't a one side vs. the other side thing for
me, no matter what political affiliation it is-- as long as its legal, the students have a right to express themselves freely as any other sanctioned club on campus. Even though I am not a communist, I can't put down the minority and tell them they can't have a club only because I don't agree with it or think it immoral, etc.

PS-- sorry for the late reply. I was out of town all weekend and just got back into the office today.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)