GQ_jumper

Obesity

Or perhaps not - I haven't been able to get a straight answer on the utility of BMI for athletes. That is, is there still a health consequence from carrying extra muscle? We do know that lower calories lifestyles are associated with a longer, if less pleasant lifespan. By lower, I mean say 1500 cal/day instead of 2500. This is a much less active lifestyle.

As for the use of ketchup on pork - the versatility of tomatoes is unquestionable and healthy.

I've never read anything that supports any claim that being muscular and having low body fat can be detrimerntal to a person's health. Being that way does put a person far enough outside the normal ranges that the standard formulas do not apply, but they can in no way be said to be unhealthy. (Different story of course if they got that way using steroids).

There is plenty of literature discussing the health consequences of low body fat ( <10% for men, 15?% for women). I could feel some of the effects at 12%. And on the other extreme, a lot of upper body musculature would tax the load bearing parts of the body. Arnold as a marathon runner would be a bad sight, and likely knee/hip problems.

I've seen a few psuedo-scientific or naysayer (those envious of fit people) claims about negative consequences to being fit. Never seen a single serious study that backs them up.

Don't confuse "fit" with what we're talking about.

Interesting you mention pleasant. I think it really does boil down to that. As I mentioned in another post, it is a matter of eating pleasure overriding the joy of being fit. Heck, maybe the other end of the spectrum is that there are people who actually get no happiness from being fit, so there is no point denying the pleasure of eating shitloads of food.

You misunderstand this too. Low calorie diets are not about eating at equilibrium. A lot of people would maintain their weight/fitness at 2500 cal/day. But if they dropped to 1500 and adjusted their lifestyle according, they will probably live longer. Athletes that maintain at 4000 cal/day are probably living shorter lives (all else being equal) due to the increased muscle buildup/teardown and the free radicals running around the blood.

There are few humans trying out this approach, but experiments on mice bear out the thesis. The low cal mice live substantially longer.

BTW - If you truly fall into the category of athlete, I wouldn't give BMI a second thought. No reason to even measure it.

BMI can be rejected for its gross simplicity, but the question of is it healthier to be a fit 6' 175lb person versus a fit 6', 250lb person can't be rejected out of hand.

With age however, I have slowed down. I actually went over 200 pounds about 3 years ago. Know what I did? Started eating less. The gall of me to take charge in plain sight of a world of victims heh?

Had my annual physical a couple weeks ago. My bad cholesterol has crept out of the ideal range for the first time ever. Guess what I'm going to do? Hint: It starts with "Make some" and ends with "dietary changes."

The victim mentality that equates accomplishing something that is not easy (or is not truly desired) with the words "can not" instead of "will not" has pretty much become the norm. The percentage of people who truly can not lose weight is very very small.
"

It's good you were able to lose weight. There are plenty of lazy Americans that need to do the same thing. But the bottom line is that everyone is not just like you.

You mentioned the victim mentality where people sometimes have this and thus refuse to do anything to help themselves. Yes, there are some people in that boat too. They need to change their attitude and do something about their problem.

I guess where I disagree with you, is that I know there truly are victims in the world who struggle each day with tremendous courage, and they still can not accomplish what you may take for granted.

I know it is the American way to think that people should be able to pull themselves up by their boot straps. But what if you don't have any boot straps. What do you do then. After all John Wayne didn't spend any time complaining. He just went out and did it.....right! But life isn't always that simple.

Eating disorders are common in Mental Health work. I know there are victims in the world. I listen to horror stories every day. Some become anorexic, some are bulimic. Ohers just eat too much. I'm not going to condemn any of them, because I haven't been in their shoes.

And I'll tell you, none of this is simple.

For example it is probably easy to fix something if you have tools. Try doing the same thing without any. It's tough then. Some people need to be given (or taught how) to handle the difficulties in their life....

Over eating is something some people need help with. For some weight loss is an impossible task. Lumping all fat people into one big group and then calling them all lazy bastards isn't going to help....

]For example it is probably easy to fix something if you have tools. Try doing the same thing without any.

Can I have (at least) a roll of duct tape and heavy stick?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

]For example it is probably easy to fix something if you have tools. Try doing the same thing without any.

Only if your obese self promises not to eat the roll of duct tape and heavy stick this time ... :P
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Give me your address and I'll mail them to you....I like to help...

send to the DZ

1 (one) roll of duct tape
1 (one) heavy stick of Butter

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

send to the DZ

This is starting to scare me a little, but I'm trying to look beyond that? Could you give any hints on what you need these tools for? Remember now, I'm an old fart, whose brain might not be firing on all cylinders....

send to the DZ

This is starting to scare me a little, but I'm trying to look beyond that? Could you give any hints on what you need these tools for? Remember now, I'm an old fart, whose brain might not be firing on all cylinders....

to fix anything, really - needs duct tape and a hammer, but you can't have tools, so hammer changed to stick

but then Butters called me obese, so I thought a stick of fat would be good so I moved to the next step

now I see that 'butter', looks a lot like Butters, so I should change that to a stick of cookie dough to keep the oddballs from playing gotcha and going down the mean humor path they like to do

pretty much we've backed the whole thing into a corner now and there's no more ways to elevate any humor out of it :S:P

pretty much we've backed the whole thing into a corner now and there's no more ways to elevate any humor out of it :S:P

I'm sure your obese self can eat your way out of any corner ... :P

as long as I don't have to climb up out of the corner

You'll do fine climbing up out of the corner until the last move ... :D

now that is mean - 4 tries and I'm quitting

I would poke you with a heavy stick to get you past the last moves but your obese self would probably think I'm feeding you ... just admit you're a victim and give up.

I would poke you with a heavy stick to get you past the last moves but your obese self would probably think I'm feeding you ... just admit you're a victim and give up.

"just admit you're a victim and give up."

Please reference the above in RED

I'm a proactive victim/quitter

Considering your usage of alcohol, it would seem you and the obese have something in common.

So you dig up some posts of mine from over 3 years ago and feel you've completely trumped my argument?? Is that the best you people can do? I've never claimed to be anywhere near perfect, and up until a few years ago I drank fairly regularly. After my second trip to Iraq my drinking got to the point where it almost ended my career, I had some PTSD issues and took the easy way out instead of working through it. I worked past what was going trough m head when I went back to Iraq for a third time and got to face the issues head on. Two years ago I started cutting back on my drinking and nowadays you'll rarely if ever find me being anything other than the DD. Alcohol was the final piece of the puzzle for me in cleaning up my lifestyle. Weight lifting came first, I started when I was 14, then cardio, then diet, and most recently alcohol. I drink on rare special occasions now and keep it in moderation.

The difference is I was man enough to admit I was doing stupid shit, how many people in here are making choices that have negative effects on their health and won't admit it or say its ok because they're happy? How's this for everyone who thinks it doesn't matter, what's going to happen to your family when you eat your way to an early grave? And what kind of example does that gluttonous lifestyle set for the next generation? Everyone trying to BS themselves into thinking they aren't affecting anyone else are full of it.

I think everyone needs to put there hurt little feelings aside and go back and read my original post. There wasn't a single malicious word in there, and I never said an unkind thing about the obese, I also made it very clear that I am well aware of the fact that not all people have control over their situation, yet apparently people didn't read my post and tried to use examples of their friends with injuries or illnesses to turn it around on me.I just showed a little tough love. But since I didn't sugar coat what I said to protect people's feelings everyone took it as an attack. Sorry if I don't believe in beating around the bush when I'm trying to make a point, but if you're guilty of something you should be a big enough person that you can step up and admit it. And if your feelings are just too sensitive to deal with the truth than tough shit, this oversensitive PC crap is dragging everyone down and I'm sick of it.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I admire and thank you for your service to our country. I also admire you facing your weaknesses head on and overcoming them. I sincerely applaud you.

I am a member of Weight Watchers. I gained 80lbs after suffering a massive head injury. I also am dealing with PTSD. I finally got the courage up to face head on the weight issue. As I posted earlier, I have now lost the 80lbs and am a perfect weight for my body.

I attended WW meetings for over a year. I witnessed personally obese people trying their damdest to lose the weight. It's easier for some folks. I've seen some in tears fighting like hell to overcome the discouragement. I've heard testimony from many who have to put up with cruel insults about their weight. Losing weight is not an easy thing for some people. Maybe it's in their genetics, I don't know. They deserve our respect and applause, not more negativity. They know better than you and I how unhealthy obesity is. They do not need us telling them.

According to my BMI I'm obese. I'm 6'1" and weigh 265lbs. Am I over weight? Yup, actually I'm kind of fat. Am I obese? I don't think so. I also bench 50lbs over my weight for reps. Do I care that since I'm "obese" that you think personally have a problem with me? Nope.

Since you asked, if I saw you on the street, with that paunch, I'd say you would qualify as overweight.

I am greatly bothered by EMS workers or firefighters who look like they are five minutes worth of strenuous work, away from a major heart attack.

(and for those who think I may be harsh on those who grew up and are still living on welfare, God himself said, through his apostle, "that if any would not work, neither should he eat.")

Yeah, and if you were actually doing a day's work;i.e. work; you wouldn't be fat.

have a friend who is morbidly obese and he is trying, but with the COPD, Emphysema, Chronic Heart Failure, and Stroke he is not able to do much about it except mild exercise/eat less.

Sounds like he'll be losing lots of weight, shortly.

It's also interesting the predjudice that many people have toward fat people. Many people think fat people must certainly be lazy and no good.....right? After all they aren't skinny like me, so I must be better than they are.....I think some of this thinking can be seen in many of these posts....

I'm 56, and when is was growing up, the only children who were even chubby, were the only child of a family, and were usually pampered, with whatever they wanted. The majority of this problem is due to a society that wants everything done, here and now....If you say you're on a diet, and you are still eating stuff out of a box or can, with words on the side of it, that only a food scientist can pronounce, there's your biggest problem.

Not everyone who is too big for the coach seats is morbidly obese or even overweight. There are people who weigh 200 pounds who are not overweight. It doesn't seem fair to me that they should pay almost twice as much as me to fly just because they were born a different size.

What if they packed you in a box, and shipped you Fedex?

There are a lot of people bashing GQ_jumper for his stance on obesity but I wholeheartedly agree with him that it should be a concern for EVERYone. If you read his words more carefully there is no HATRED of obese people - but rather an expression of concern and a call for the rest of society to be more concerned, whether it be just for their own wallets (paying for the obesity problem) or for the true health&wellness of the obese people.

I DO NOT hate obese people but I share the same concern as GQ_jumper does of trying to be more aware of where our society as a whole is going dealing with obesity. I've been a personal trainer for years and have visited all parts of the globe and I definitely see a warped social attitude in America towards the obesity epidemic. There is an odd combo of denial and entitlement when it comes to overeating and consuming calorically-dense but nutritionally-deficient food (which is the MAIN cause of the obesity epidemic along with the lack of exercise of course). And no, you can't deny the small percentage of folks that are obese due to physical disabilities or the RARE genetic conditions that lead to being overweight. If it was all about genetics I'd have to ask then did these freak genetics develop just these last 2 decades? America's obesity problem was exploded since the 80's. I've dealt with clients that are everywhere from 5 lbs to 150 lbs overweight and yes, dealing with people that are morbidly or clinically obese takes a much different approach to helping people develop a more normal BMI and healthier lifestyle but as a whole our society DOES end up paying for their weight problem. These are stats from National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease:

***On average, obese workers tend to lose a week of work a year due to ailments related to their weight. A firm of 1,000 employees loses $285,000 a year due to obese—not overweight—employees, about 30 percent of which is attributable to increased absenteeism.[:/]

***Overweight males incur medical costs that are $170 more annually than their leaner co-workers, while overweight females incur costs $495 higher than their counterparts. Hospitals have to pay more to treat the obese—oversized wheelchairs can cost about $2,500, eight times the cost of an ordinary wheelchair, and operating tables that are strong enough to support the severely obese can top $30,000
.[:/]

Personally I really do believe that people that are morbidly obese need to seek a therapist's help ALONG with seeing a nutritionist and lifestyle coach/personal trainer. The usual culprit of obesity is a combo of food addiction that is tied to something deeper, but again, this is just an indicator of America's problem in particular with obesity compared to other nations. I think obesity is a manifestation of a cultural deprivation here in our country and it's a slow form of suicide as a lifestyle.

And instead of just telling them to get help, I think allllll of us need to help create supportive environments through public policy and media that promote healthier lifestyles. Don't be an enabler and telling those that are obese that it's okay. It's not -- not for their health and not for our society. We need to encourage EVERYONE around us to get off their asses and slow their roll on overeating sugary, fatty foods. And people should probably start looking at people who let their kids get obese as a form of abuse because it's not the KID that's going grocery shopping and making dinner - it's the friggin parents. According to one Harvard study – published by the Annals of Internal Medicine:

***Doctors evaluated the health habits and medical records of more than 100,000 women who had provided data through the Nurses’ Health Study (an ongoing federally financed study on women’s health issues) since 1989. Researchers found that those women who were overweight or obese at age 18, had a far greater risk of dying from cancer or heart disease before reaching middle age.[:/]

If Americans could stop being in denial and start practicing moderation and portion control it would help tremendously. Hopefully the medical community will get off their asses too and stop promoting meds and surgery and start being more frank with their patients and telling them to get psychotherapy.

***On average, obese workers tend to lose a week of work a year due to ailments related to their weight. A firm of 1,000 employees loses $285,000 a year due to obese—not overweight—employees, about 30 percent of which is attributable to increased absenteeism.[:/]

simple math. $285/employee/year. Measured against the 6 figure cost of those employees, it's hardly a shocking value. Esp if they're working them 2000hrs/year.

***Overweight males incur medical costs that are $170 more annually than their leaner co-workers, while overweight females incur costs $495 higher than their counterparts.

Again, against what costs? I/my employer pay $5000/yr in premiums.