FlyingJarhead

first line twist was a good learning experience

i had my first small line twist, it was twisted about 1 and half times.it was a great learning experience.
before all ive seen is video and pictures. i grabbed the lines tried to seperate them with my fingers once, checked my altitude, tried with my fingers and visually seperated them, then pulled them apart and i kicked a little and swung around. i can learn more everytime and i love it :p

thats all i have to say about that

Wait till you get 5-6 line twists, you pulled at 3500 feet and your canopy typically takes 800-1000 feet to completely inflate and slow you down. It happened twice to me last weekend. I had just gotten the lines untwisted each time by my DH. Almost crapped my pants each time because of the altitude.

David

You may want to have a rigger observe you pack a few times. A Pilot loaded <1.0 shouldn't be spinning up like that unless there's a packing error, stability issues or some other mysterious force [canopy out of trim? Really bad luck?]. But that's another thread and you shouldn't really take my inexperienced advice.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I had 3-4 line twists on my AFF level 1 jump. Was a little interesting but they were low in the lines so it was an easy mal to remedy. I was able to just grab the risers and pull them apart and give one swift kick in the twist direction and out they went.

It was very strange on my first jump to go to look at the canopy and the risers being twisted across and preventing me from rolling my head back. :o

WUDDUPP,

I just made my first skydive tonight, my 18th b-day. been waiting for 3 years - have known the skydivers at our local airport for a long time. Static line. Line twist. It was alllllllllllll good. not bad, and kicked 4 or 5 times and was out of it. Good stuff B|

While dealing with a partial malfunction, altitude awareness is absolutely essential. When adrenaline levels are high and temporal distortion occurs, it is easy to lose track of altitude. Altitude Awareness is a top priority!

It is a common mistake made by many skydivers to start dealing with the line twists BEFORE checking the altitude. What we teach at the DZ I work at is to form the habit of checking the altitude first, then deal with the problem.

_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm loaded just under 1 and had 8 twists once. But that wasn't my pack job, it was from one of the local packers. Was coming out of my track, saw 3.7K, waved and pulled before coming out of the track. So, I blame bad body position for that one. Didn't take too long for them to come out though.

Of course, I wasn't saying that twists don't happen under 1.0. My point was that two instances of severe linetwists on a very docile canopy at a docile wingloading in such a short period of time struck me as something potentially worth looking into further.

That said, I'm not going to go any further on the subject - I've derailed the thread and I've offered advice that frankly exceeds my experience and knowledge level and probably shouldn't be taken seriously. Don't take me as an authority of any kind.

Cheers to all
I really don't know what I'm talking about.