ChileRelleno

Saiga-12, sporter goes tactical...

That massive chunk of metal behind the magazine compliments of the state of california doesn't help though.

I noticed that lump sticking out like a sore thumb right away. So, what the heck is it?

I theorize that it's some kind of magazine lock, so that the shotgun doesn't have a detachable magazine (which is one of the California ban criteria, if memory serves).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I theorize that it's some kind of magazine lock, so that the shotgun doesn't have a detachable magazine (which is one of the California ban criteria, if memory serves).

How the heck would you clean that magazine if you're not allowed to, and can't, remove it?

You are correct sir.

It is unfortunate, but California bans detachable magazine shotguns directly, even if they are in stock form (sporting) which means no pistol grip. That black contraption covers the magazine release, such that it can only be operated with a "tool". Tool is defined as pretty much anything, and they specifically call a bullet a tool. The whole purpose is to prevent rapid magazine changes. I will add however, that the "bullet button" as they are referred to here, can be removed in no time, if one was so inclined, such as going on a murderous rampage.
Last night I ordered all the parts I need to convert it to a pistol grip, and so I will need to take the bullet button off and build a new one that is smaller and fits between the trigger guard's new forward location and the magazine. (FBI if you are reading this, its a good thing gun will be disassembled when I remove the lock, and in no way will be able to accept a detachable magazine):)

LOL... While technically valid, I'll claim artistic license for the photo shoot.;)

Just myself and a camera on timer.
Look closely, you'll see that there isn't a mag in the 45, and they were cleared twice.

Here is another .45 pic for ya, no mag and your staring at the striker.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/ChileRelleno/lookingatyou-1.jpg

And the .357, obviously unloaded.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/ChileRelleno/100_3893.jpg

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

It isn't a habit if done intentionally while posing.

Now catch me handling in such a manner at any other time and I give you permission to stick your foot in my ass... Seriously.

Reminds me of another photo I setup of my S&W M&P 15x, Magpul 30rnd w/ window, loaded with m200 blanks, and the safety hot.

Took awhile for someone to notice & say something;)

Did you say upthread that you were thinking of using the Saiga for home defense?

I decided against doing that because I'd heard that the magazine springs tended to deform the top round if left loaded long-term, and that caused a misfeed after the first shot. Have you experienced anything like that, or do you have a solution (if you think it might be a problem)?

At some point maybe I'll try leaving some mags loaded for a couple months and then taking them to the range to see if it's an issue for me.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

All the newer S12s have a BHO.
For HD, I leave the bolt back with a 5 rnd mag full of #4 buck.
Half the battle will be won psychologically when I chamber a round ;)

Plus, my SA XD9 always has a mag full of Speer Gold Dots ready and waiting bedside, and a AR is out with mags close at hand.

EDIT: Four hours at the range today... Awesome day.

I got to check out this bad boy yesterday when chile came by the house. Damn, it makes me want one!

Dude, not one drop of rain...
And I had the entire range all to my lonesome, no one else showed up:S

Weatherman's screwy reports must've had people hiding all day.

Its not the force of the spring compressing the round against the top of the magazine that deforms it, but the very top round pressing against the underside of the bolt that deforms it. Keep the bolt in the rearward position, and it is not a problem. From what I heard, it takes 24 hours to deform the round.

I am in the middle of my conversion, trying to figure out this stupid trigger guard. Just realized that my gun does not have the standard 4 rivet ak magazine release. Ugh.

Ok, here it is.

The first image is the saiga obviously, freshly converted and assembled. That was quite a bit of work! You have to assemble things in a very specific order, otherwise it doesn't fit. The tromix shepherd's crook is sort of a pain, but the worst was installing the spring for the bolt hold open, and then having to do it again because the safety selector wouldn't install with the BHO in place already. ugh. Like I said, you do things in order.

Second image is the family kickin it, with the eldest on top, my most valued firearm, a winchester 30-30 lever action that was purchased by my great grandfather in the 20's. It has stayed in the family all this time, and is still in good shape, except for some wearing on the bluing. It has a factory peep site, which is supposedly very rare for these rifles.
Next up is a metric FAL, it is a Imbel kit built onto a Entreprise type 3 receiver. Full length chrome barrel, with a home parkerizing job. I believe the kit was from a gun originally made in the 60s, in Brazil (headquarters for Imbel).
And of course, the new saiga, freshly made in November of 2008.
Hope you guys enjoy

1) Ya should have used a Retaining plate instead of the Shepherds Crook.

2) Two tricks done with some heavy fishing line, makes the BHO spring very easy.

3) A simple notch in the BHO, allows for easy insertion of the Safety Lever, after the BHO.

Yeah I can see now that the retaining plate would have been allot easier, all you have to do is rotate it down, but all I have is that clip. O well, I guess we will see how it holds up. I used some dental floss for the spring, but the angle it pulls down makes it very hard to have the rear leg of the spring on the bho tab, so I put the leg of the spring onto the tab last, probably making it way harder but working nonetheless. I gotta check out this notch you are talkin about!

BHO modification.

Install BHO, push it all the way up as if engaging, mark the section blocking the Safety Lever slot.
It is small, roughly 1/8" x 1/8".
Remove that section.
I used a rattail (round) file, a dremel with appropriate tool works even better.

Pic of my BHO mod.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/ChileRelleno/006.jpg

The BHO has not bothered me at all.
It has bothered others, and they have shaved it.
There are multiple threads on it at saiga-12.com.

That or order a Safety Lever that has the BHO notch.

There is no EASY way to install the BHO spring, tho I have it down to about 2 minutes.
5 minutes for complete reassembly from a bare receiver.

40lb fishing line thru spring, place behind BHO lever, yank down and forward and install trigger pin thru FCG.
The thread line up thru bottom of BHO slot and around rear leg of spring, lift it unto the BHO lever.
This requires bending the end of the spring, this will help it stay put on the BHO and keep the line from slipping off.

I finally got around to notching the BHO. Thanks for the picture. I see your spring leg has a bend in it, is this because the spring can slide forward enough to slip off of the BHO? It has already slipped off on me once, but I filed the BHO a little to make a shelf for the leg to sit into. If it is going forward though, gotta make a bend like yours.

BHO modification.

Install BHO, push it all the way up as if engaging, mark the section blocking the Safety Lever slot.
It is small, roughly 1/8" x 1/8".
Remove that section.
I used a rattail (round) file, a dremel with appropriate tool works even better.

Pic of my BHO mod.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/ChileRelleno/006.jpg

The BHO has not bothered me at all.
It has bothered others, and they have shaved it.
There are multiple threads on it at saiga-12.com.

That or order a Safety Lever that has the BHO notch.

There is no EASY way to install the BHO spring, tho I have it down to about 2 minutes.
5 minutes for complete reassembly from a bare receiver.

40lb fishing line thru spring, place behind BHO lever, yank down and forward and install trigger pin thru FCG.
The thread line up thru bottom of BHO slot and around rear leg of spring, lift it unto the BHO lever.
This requires bending the end of the spring, this will help it stay put on the BHO and keep the line from slipping off.

I finally got around to notching the BHO. Thanks for the picture. I see your spring leg has a bend in it, is this because the spring can slide forward enough to slip off of the BHO? It has already slipped off on me once, but I filed the BHO a little to make a shelf for the leg to sit into. If it is going forward though, gotta make a bend like yours.

The bent spring leg, both helps hold it on and helps with the install as I described above.

Bolded Text.