Gawain

Is the DMV in Your Town/County/State Run Efficiently

In the area where I live now, the town clerk handles registrations for vehicles as a property tax collection as well. This is common in many areas of the country.

I've lived in other areas of the country where it's a flat fee, sometimes yearly, semi-annual.

In all cases, it has involved waiting in line for something at some point, with few exceptions.

:)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

In the area where I live now, the town clerk handles registrations for vehicles as a property tax collection as well. This is common in many areas of the country.

I've lived in other areas of the country where it's a flat fee, sometimes yearly, semi-annual.

In all cases, it has involved waiting in line for something at some point, with few exceptions.

Ours is efficient... and is cost effective... I think they could run health care just fine.. far BETTER than the fucking private insurance industry that is out to rip off the people who have paid for years.. and then they want to fuck you opver for pre-existing condition on a fucking injury.... BUT I guess you dont get that kind of great medical care in the military...imagine them telling you your leg was a "pre-existing" condition. Personally I would like to see ALL of the private HMOP's and insurers shut down for non performance.

I'm sorry, I'm talking about the DMV...not health care...
Make light!

Most auto registration can be done on line or through the mail in Michigan. New registrations maybe not.

Some not through the mail can be done in an ATM type machine.

Work very well now. About the only thing in MI that does.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Checking out at the supermarket involves waiting in line too. Two weeks ago I waited 45 minutes for a table at a restaurant where I had a reservation.

Your motive here is remarkably transparent.

I'm sorry, I'm talking about the DMV...not health care...

Bullshit!!!!!

You guys were comparing DMV to how the government will run health care.

No, really, I'm talking about the DMV in this thread. jcd and I have been sparring about other crap and DMVs somewhere else...
Make light!

Why must everyone think I have a hidden agenda on this??

:ph34r:
Make light!

Why must everyone think I have a hidden agenda on this??

:ph34r:

I wonder.:S Maybe there's a hint here;)

On a different tack, I've recently switched back to using USPS instead of UPS ground. I find USPS faster, cheaper, and have had fewer damage problems.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

I think there are a lot of very interesting questions in here:

-- why does the DMV (or whatever it's called in your State) still have a bad reputation?

-- assuming the DMV was inefficient (we've not put forth any metrics), why has it changed?
(In Michigan, as I understand, a lot of the changes were enacted after the guy who had been Secretary of State finally retired after being there for 20+(?) years).

-- why are some States efficient and some not?

-- what are rural versus suburban versus urban differences?

Imo, the disparity across the county illustrates something that does relate to healthcare: we value a federal system over efficiency.

One system rather than 51 (including DC now) would be more efficient and cost-effective based purely on simplicity. But the American people have valued a federal system. Sometimes cost should not be the only or even most important factor, again imo.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Where I am living right now the 2 main requirements for working at the DMV are english as a second language and a degree in anti-customer service.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Wow.. it certainly is tragic that the Red States are run so poorly. I guess the DMV there should be turned over to faith based organizations so it can be run much better.

Apparently, citizens of the red states vote Republican so they can feel justified in whining about how poorly run the government is. There's nothing like setting themselves up for failure. :D
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Wow.. it certainly is tragic that the Red States are run so poorly. I guess the DMV there should be turned over to faith based organizations so it can be run much better.

Apparently, citizens of the red states vote Republican so they can feel justified in whining about how poorly run the government is. There's nothing like setting themselves up for failure. :D

Can't argue with that!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

I remember waiting in line for a long time at the DMV in Sacramento, CA. One time I brought a big glass of vodka and lime juice with ice for the wait. Stood there at the counter drinking it while talking to the clerk. She didn't say a thing about it:D

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Sorry. But when I lived in Wisconsin, it was just as bad.

Try again.

Hmmm I seem to remember Wisconsin as being full of GOP...like Tommy Thompson... running things.. Maybe they should just turn their government over to faith based groups too.

Its the Red State thing to do... or at least a whole lot of radical righties seem to want that.

Try again.

I don't know about that. I have had pretty good luck there. I mail my registration renewals in. I had to take a test (hazmat) when I renewed last summer, and that wasn't too much of a wait. While I was waiting, I was watching the people behind the counter. Most were professional, courteus and competent.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Try again.

Hmmm I seem to remember Wisconsin as being full of GOP...like Tommy Thompson... running things.. Maybe they should just turn their government over to faith based groups too.

Its the Red State thing to do... or at least a whole lot of radical righties seem to want that.

This might help your memory. Sucks getting old.

Try again.

It be a bit more ingenuous to note Wisconsin's voting preferences from when you lived in Wisconsin. Did you live in Wisconsin in 2008?
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Try again.

It be a bit more ingenuous to note Wisconsin's voting preferences from when you lived in Wisconsin. Did you live in Wisconsin in 2008?

It's been blue ever since I've been driving. source

Try again.

Yeah that must really suck for you.... since you do not currently live in Wisconsin.. when you lived there things were different.. and last I checked Gov Thompson and Gov McCallum were in charge for quite a few years... in fact over time... there have been 30 GOP GOV in WI and only 12 Democratic Party govenors.

How the state votes in presidential elections... does not equal the corrupt local governments there... who continue to be staunchly GOP.
I grew up in Milwaukee and went to parochial school there. I think I might know a little bit about the state... and why I escaped from there and have not gone back...too many idiotic conservatives.