JackC

Atheist advert provokes complaint

I'll give you a few examples ...

There are people who believe in a God and who believe that God created every thing. Meditating on nothing helps remove every thing leaving just God.

There are people who believe in focusing on some thing. Meditating on nothing helps remove every thing which allows them to then to focus on some thing.

There are people who believe everything is a construct based on suffereing. Meditating on nothing helps remove the construct and thus remove suffering.

Fine. But you said meditating on nothing to experience nothing. In your first example it's to achieve a state where only God is left. This isn't nothing.

In your second example it's to achieve a state where they can focus on something. This isn't nothing.

In your third example it's to achieve the removal of suffering. This isn't nothing.

So please, how can you meditate on nothing to experience nothing?

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

Mat 5:22 is referring to a man cursing another man. The opening text is God making a statement about those who have foolishly decided in their hearts there is no God.

Why is it foolish?

Because man does not possess 100% of all knowledge. It would be another thing to say 'I don't understand there is a God, but I am open to the possibility that He exists". To say in one's heart there is no God when we do not possess all knowledge is foolishness.

Without something to verify your experience, you could easily be mislead. Take eyewitness testimony for example. This reference suggests that up to 75% of eyewitnesses are mistaken in their conclusions. So given that personal experience is so unreliable, isn't it better to have something known to be objectively true to back it up before you base your decisions on it?

How about the experience of those who are set free from emotionally debilitating sin patterns by connecting with the power God has to give. They could care less if they can give an accurate description of what happened. All they know is that they have found the Truth and the Truth has set them free.

Which would be what then.

Christian.

But why would you recommend I don't if I'm afraid of wolves?

Wolves are a metaphor. Some religious leader (the shepherds) don't want you (the sheep) to think for yourself and consider those people that would have you (the sheep) think for yourself to be dangerous (the wolves). Thus, if you're afraid of wolves then you're probably a sheep and you shouldn't stray from your shepherd.

Blimey. You've a strange way of communicating - are you stoned or do you just normally talk bollocks?

And you're making many assumptions which are wrong Butters.

'for it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "chuck 'im out, the brute!" But it's "saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot.'

>But we're talking about meditating on nothing to experience nothing, remember?

Right. And if that puts them in a better frame of mind - one that helps them accomplish their goals - great; it works as well as prayer.

A better frame of mind isn't nothing. A better frame of mind which helps accomplish ones goals isn't nothing.

>Further to that, what of the people who've experienced something which
>was significant enough for them to believe?

Well, as long as it didn't involve drugs or killing people - do whatever it was you were doing again!

Fair enough!

You say up to 75% of eyewitnesses could be wrong.

I'm not talking about eyewitnesses. Anyway.

If you've experienced something, and discover that many others have experienced what you've experienced, this is not argumentum ad populum!

It's something rather more profound old boy.

If you've experienced something, and discover that many others have experienced what you've experienced, this is not argumentum ad populum

You're absolutely right, it is evidence.

It's evidence that people are prone to experiencing feelings they interpret as divine interaction. But, it's absolutely not evidence that the things they experience are divine interaction.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Not really - it was more a counter-example to Bills' example.

I see your point though, but how would you know prayer won't achieve anything? Have you prayed without achieving anything then?

p.s. glad you appreciate my open mind; how's your closed mind?:ph34r:

Despite the continued failure of prayer when tested, lets give it a go ourselves and hopefully we can achieve a couple of things here. First it will prove whether or not prayer will achieve anything and also will infact prove whether your god exists.

So all together get down on your knees, put your hands together and repeat after me….

“Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet right now, and whilst your at it can you please feed the millions of starving children, and perhaps end war and hatred. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. And you did say in Mark 11:24 “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. “

In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

So lets check back tomorrow...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Without something to verify your experience, you could easily be mislead. Take eyewitness testimony for example. This reference suggests that up to 75% of eyewitnesses are mistaken in their conclusions. So given that personal experience is so unreliable, isn't it better to have something known to be objectively true to back it up before you base your decisions on it?

How about the experience of those who are set free from emotionally debilitating sin patterns by connecting with the power God has to give. They could care less if they can give an accurate description of what happened. All they know is that they have found the Truth and the Truth has set them free.

what is a "emotionally debilitating sin pattern" ????
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

How do you know it's: 'absolutely not evidence'?

Wouldn't that only be an assumption you're making?

Anyway, what you doing up at this time!?

You're too late; a friend of mine prayed to God to turn himself into a steak and kidney pie, which of course, he was obliged to do. My friend then ate him. Sorry if that's spoiled your experiment.

When i was younger, yes. Not so much now.

Is that a better situation for you?

What do you mean?

Well, in regards to what you experienced mate. I understand you experienced more of what you described when you were younger - so as it's happening less now, is this better or worse for you?

Well, i definitely felt a lot safer when i was younger, i always felt like i had a protector. In a sense, ignorance was bliss. Skip forward a few teen angst filled years to where i am now. I do feel hopeless and helpless at times since i don't believe in an all powerful being anymore, but there are so many theories as to what's out there through which i get hope. Parallel universes, multiverses, the big crunch, even the fourth dimension could be considered an afterlife. I think what I've experienced is for better.

Plus, i like being able to constantly learn instead of the universal "God did it"

Hey, understood! I love constantly learning too, and if I come across as one of your "God did it" people, blind to everything else, I apologise.

I'm far more inclined to believe in an afterlife and a God, but not to the point I can't or won't consider other possibilities. Maybe that's just how I tend to present my arguments.

So please, how can you meditate on nothing to experience nothing?

All I'm reading is blah, blah, blah ... I don't understand because I'm like previous civilizations that couldn't grasp the concept of nothing or zero ... blah, blah, blah. Why don't you find out for yourself ...
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

You say up to 75% of eyewitnesses could be wrong.

I'm not talking about eyewitnesses. Anyway.

So what? An eyewitness experiences something and tells people about it court and allegedly 75% of them are mistaken. It doesn't take Einstein to see that if your visual experiences are suspect, then maybe the rest of your experiences could be suspect too.

If you've experienced something, and discover that many others have experienced what you've experienced, this is not argumentum ad populum!

Your attempt to suggest that an appeal to the majority somehow makes your experience more likely to be true is exactly Argumentum ad Populum. For goodness sake, look it up!

It's something rather more profound old boy.

Really, it isn't. You are mistaken.

Yawn.

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm
10) MORAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) In my younger days I was a cursing, drinking, smoking, gambling, child-molesting, thieving, murdering, bed-wetting bastard.
(2) That all changed once I became religious.
(3) Therefore, God exists.