TheAnvil

Good news! From the Kiwis!

While I'd like to applaud this, I don't see a broad application for this in the future, unless they harness this energy from waste-based sources.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think its future use is dependent on multiple factors and not necessarily dependent upon using waste products. I'm happy they were able to pull it off successfully. Using bio-fuels, one can drive cars, fly planes, and power ships. A lot of pieces would have to fall into place, none of them likely, but the dependency of transportation upon fossil fuels CAN be lessened via bio fuels.

I always liked the thought of agricultural lubricants and fuels myself and think this pretty cool.

:)

Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Under current infrustucture and recources available it is not viable to make these biofuels on a large scale witout effecting global food prices negatively, But with a little open mindedness, and a bit of infraustructure (desalination plants allowingfarms on desserts) then this could work.

Will Exxon mobil, shell, BP, the rockerfellers and rothchilds and all those guys allow it?

That is the deciding factor, they may well have to?

Opec kinda screwed themselves late last year being greedy, deserves them right.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I think its future use is dependent on multiple factors and not necessarily dependent upon using waste products. I'm happy they were able to pull it off successfully. Using bio-fuels, one can drive cars, fly planes, and power ships. A lot of pieces would have to fall into place, none of them likely, but the dependency of transportation upon fossil fuels CAN be lessened via bio fuels.

I always liked the thought of agricultural lubricants and fuels myself and think this pretty cool.

:)

The problem is that we cannot depend on agriculture sources that are meant to be food. We saw the effects this had with the commodities bubble we've just popped. It got so expensive that food, and fuel, even ethanol, and corn (the cornerstone of the world's food supply) couldn't be turned fast enough. VeraSun Energy is a good example, they couldn't afford to buy the products to make E85 with...Chp 11 now.

So, while front end refining may be good for certain applications, the "real" renewable-ness is in the back-end refining. Some starting models to look at I think could be copied from Japan, where even banana peels get used as fuel.

Also, remember that oil is a bio fuel too...:P

With the population growth guaranteed, I'm all for conservation of energy (as long as exploration and development are not hindered), but not at the expense of food supply.
Make light!

The oil on this flight is from the Jatropha plant which is not a food source.

Great, we'll just stop growing food and grow jatropha plant instead...:S

Again, I have no objection to this alternative fuel push, but not at the expense of absolute essentials, like growing food.
Make light!

You might want to check on how many billions of dollars have been paid to very rich "farmers"... to NOT produce food.

Well, I live in the middle of a pretty significant area of agricultural activity, and everywhere I look, I see the land being used to grow stuff. Why don't you look a little more carefully into the subsidy program. They aren't being paid to not grow, they are being paid with no obligation to grow a specific crop (based on previous output of course).

This increase in subsidies over the years (especially during the 90s) is a plain result of a heavy and effective lobbying.

One article from the Washington Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/01/AR2006070100962.html

Not a very effective use of money from Congress.[:/]
Make light!