crwtom

Alaska ???

to me somewhat uncomprehensibly to looks like Stevens may
keep his Senate seat for Alaska.

Is there any other example in history where a convicted felon is
voted into senate office after conviction but before serving punishment?

Cheers, T

PS: If he eventually has to go to prison Palin can finally still go to DC by appointing herself as replacement. Alaska politics ... :ph34r:
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

she would be stepping into quicksand... if she tried to ASSUME the role of Senator. It would be waaay over her head. IMHO

PLUS.. I bet her Husband would put the KE-BOSH... on that.. in a hurry...

talk about a guy who looks uncomfortable in a sport coat and Tie...:|

No ,, she better stay at home, and tend to her children and grandchildren....
for EVERYone's best interest...
PLUS as long as she's giving back $$$$ from all that OIL,,, to citizens of ALaska,,, maybe WE should all put in our request for a small taste of those dollars... after all, as she has shown.... Alaska " IS part of OUR country"....

j t

Alaska is incredibly beautiful, but I don't know anyone who's ever accused Alaskans of having above average intelligence. Somehow, I'm not surprised that the same people who elected Palin to the governorship would elect a Senator who is awaiting sentencing on his felony convictions.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

what we think about palin as governer doesn't really matter, its what they think and she is very popular up there. the people like what she has done as governor. that doesn't mean that they're less intelligent, it just means that they want different things than you. besides, i don't think that intelligence plays much of a role in deciding political candidates. i know plenty of very intelligent people whose politcal view vary very widely. as far as stevens goes, i'm not sure what to make of it. it might just be that they voted for him knowing that when he finally gets convicted, at least he will be replaced with a republican. alaska is a conservative place and with the fear of a filibuster proof senate, they could have been voting for the party. also don't forget that he has been in the senate since about the civil war and was very popular before this. his opponent might also have been undesirable enough that they would rather have a crook representing them.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I can't remember which channel I heard it on, I was going back and forth between 3 of them every few minutes last night, but one of them said it's possible the people voted Stevens in knowing that he'd be going to prison. With him having to forcibly vacate his seat, a special election would be held in 90 days. This way instead of having a democrat have the seat, they can possibly put a republican in office.

Not the senate, but James Curley was elected as mayor of Boston while in jail, re-elected, and later served as governor.

There are two statues to him at Faneuil Hall :ph34r:. There's no accounting for tastes, but it does look like a really talented populist can pretty much do anything.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)