nerdgirl

The perils of network charts

A different network chart showing Sen Obama's connections to figures of merit or de-merit. It was partially inspired by one of the links in Mike’s sig line, which I had queried about previously, and more significantly due to being stuck in an airport. All links are true; interpretations less so. Show some different connections … had fun seeing how many I could tie myself into :D … & I have never met or corresponded directly with Sen Obama.

Underlying the *intentional* hyperbole of my chart & perhaps (?) unintentional hyperbole of others wandering around the internet is the concept of how important context is and how selection bias in choosing the nodes of the network can be used to suggest or imply very different conclusions.

Please read with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

VR/Marg

~ ~ ~~ ~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice praised Sen Obama in an interview w/Wolf Blitzer in July. In September, Rice was the highest ranking member of the US since VP Nixon to meet with the Libyan leader. The last SecState to meet with Qa’ddafi was Dulles. Rice is advocating for increased ties for trade, access to oil, and international aid (largely w/r/t destruction declared stockpile of ~16,000 mt of sulfur mustard).

Sen Obama has been getting foreign policy and defense advice from former Sen Sam Nunn, who endorsed Obama in April. Nunn is co-chair and co-founder of the Nuclear Threat Initiative with Ted Turner, who founded CNN, therefore Sen Obama clearly has the support of CNN and Ted’s Montana Grill > and endorses exotic game (buffalo) for dinner.

Sen Obama co-sponsored with Sen Richard Lugar (R-IN) the Obama-Lugar Cooperative Threat Reduction Legislation. President Bush signed it into law in January 2008. Therefore Sen Obama is endorsing the kind of legislation Pres Bush signed into law.

Sen Obama spoke at the Council of Foreign Relations. Robert Murdock is a member of CFR. Murdoch owns The Wall Street Journal and The New York Post, thus suggesting that Milyo was correct: the Wall Street Journal is a far left-leaning paper.

Sen Barack Obama is connected to former SecNav Richard Danzing, who is advising Sen Obama on defense issues. SecNav Danzig hosted a long-standing symposia series with Prof Brett Giroir (Texas A&M). Giroir was Chief of DARPA’s Defense Science Office (DSO) from 2004 through early 2008. DSO is DARPA’s (nee ARPA) basic research shop. An ARPA basic research led to the internet (through NSF). So clearly, it is not Sen Gore that should be able to "claim" origination of the internet but Sen Obama. :P

Sen Obama taught at the University of Chicago. One of the most famous economists from the UoC is Milton Friedman who has widely influenced the campus. Friedman met with, advised, and was an apologist for former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet, therefore Sen Obama clearly supports (1) radical free-market neo-liberal economics & (2) authoritarian right-wing dictators.

Sen Obama graduated from Harvard Law School as did former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales. Gonzales supported the policies of (now-UC Berkeley Law Professor/then-DOJ lawyer) John Yoo, who was responsible for much of the USA PATRIOT Act’s legislation that is seen as inhibiting civil liberties and wrote most of the DOJ memos supporting use of torture.

And perhaps most indicting or to capture the ‘Paris Hilton-esque’ vote :P: Sen Obama is a distant cousin of Brad Pitt, Brad Pitt was in Sleepers in 1996 with Kevin Bacon.

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I'll go even further.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice praised Obama in an interview with Wolf Blitzer in July. Basmati Rice comes primarily from Pakistan and India. Thus, we can conclude that Obama will increase troops there.

Obama has been seeking advice from Sam Nunn. "Nunn" is a homonym of "None" which is Obama's experience in the executive branch.

Obama co-sponsored a bill with Dick Lugar. Lugar is from Indiana, which name is based on India. Since Lugar favors a reduction in troop strength in Iraq, it further supports the idea that Obama will invade India to secure the strategic supply of basmati rice.

Obama spoke at the Council of Foreign Relations (CFR). CFR is also the shorthand temr for Code of Federal Regulations. As the biological product of foreign relations, Obama supports a new code section requiring Americans to cross-breed with foreigners.

Sen Obama taught at the University of Chicago. All 4'11" of Milton Friedman taught there. Milton Friedman was one inch taller than 4'10" Clinton Economist Robert Reich. The last Reich was the Third Reich. Add 1 and Obama will herald the coming of the Fourth Reich.

Obama is getting advice from Richard Danzig. Another "Danzig" released some albums in the 80's and 90's, including "Dirty Black SUmmer" and "Unspeakable." This means that Obama's campaign was dirty and underhanded, and the result will be unspeakable in that the Freedom of Speech will be abrogated by the Obama Admin.

Obama went to Harvard Law School. So did Charles Ogletree (A California Central Valley dude!:)
Finally, Obama is related to Brad Pitt. He played Chad in "Burn After Reading." Chad is killed an goes missing from his friend. A "Missing Chad" foretells that Obama will mount a legal challenge for all ballots that do not had dimpled or hanging chads, and those with chads missing should be votes for him. (Note - Chad was a Jew in the movie, meaning that all Jews will be killed).

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'll go even further.
Freedom of Speech will be abrogated by the Obama Admin.

Obama Admin sounds like Uganda Amin, so Obama will declare himself king of Scotland.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

At last check via my combined personal and business relationship I have connected to nearly 36,000 people in the last 20 years. My Kevin Bacon game therefore puts me over the 11 million mark.

If you are in a spot where you meet and talk to people, you can network them to most anyone in the country and quite a few outside.

Perhaps, I am being 'dense' or too literal this evening. :|

Again, the point is ...

Underlying the *intentional* hyperbole of my chart & perhaps (?) unintentional hyperbole of others wandering around the internet is the concept of how important context is and how selection bias in choosing the nodes of the network can be used to suggest or imply very different conclusions.

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Maybe it's just me but I find your point frequently gets buried in a blizzard of hyperlinks, italics, bold face, non-ASCII characters, omitted or implied words and frequent use of high-order intentionality. I like to read your stuff because you always back up your opinions with facts and you obviously put a lot of effort into getting your facts straight, but I do find it damned hard work sometimes. Sorry.

Maybe it's just me but I find your point frequently gets buried in a blizzard of hyperlinks, italics, bold face, non-ASCII characters, omitted or implied words and frequent use of high-order intentionality. I like to read your stuff because you always back up your opinions with facts and you obviously put a lot of effort into getting your facts straight, but I do find it damned hard work sometimes. Sorry.

Thanks for the feedback. You don't have to apologize, but I do appreciate the implied kindness.

My writing is dense, i.e., 'closely packed with ideas or complexities of style' as opposed to 'stupid, slow-witted, dull.' I'm also not going to apologize for not making things too easy. I find it more insulting (& occasionally amusing) when people make negative/false assumptions of my intellect; I aim to not replicate that error.

VR/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

It is hard work, which is why most books, magazines, political speeches, etc. are written at 8th grade reading level; because that's what most people have become accustomed to. 8th grade style doesn't go over too well in a PhD thesis or refereed journal publication, though.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It is hard work, which is why most books, magazines, political speeches, etc. are written at 8th grade reading level; because that's what most people have become accustomed to. 8th grade style doesn't go over too well in a PhD thesis or refereed journal publication, though.

I agree, but Speakers Corner isn't a PhD thesis. I was once told that part of writing effectively is to know your audience. If I'm reading a Russian theoretical physics paper, I expect to have to read it very carefuly and do some of the maths if I want to understand it. But if I am going to put myself to all that trouble, I'd better be fairly sure I want to know what's in there.

Know the audience? What is this audience? Yove got folks like me with a doctoral (I had to say that because it riles kallend (a real doctor who actually got it the hard way)). Nerdgirl is a wonkette and I'm a wannabe wonk and thus she knows her audience.

Her audience is whomever chooses to receive her message. And for me, I STILL want to do video of her and Wendy.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Thanks for the feedback. You don't have to apologize, but I do appreciate the implied kindness.

My writing is dense, i.e., 'closely packed with ideas or complexities of style' as opposed to 'stupid, slow-witted, dull.' I'm also not going to apologize for not making things too easy. I find it more insulting (& occasionally amusing) when people make negative/false assumptions of my intellect; I aim to not replicate that error.

VR/Marg

Whatever - yoose don't know what you be talkin' 'bout nohow!:P

Actually I find your posts fun to read, if only because they contrast my "off the cuff" style.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun