billvon

Republicans murder Obama campaigner!

acidic or not, as you can see from the responses, apparently sarcasm and satire are a lost art form in this day and age.

People considered Gulliver's Travels acidic, hateful, and too controversial to read when it was first published...and it is arguably one of the greatest works of satirical literature of all time. I'm not saying that Bill is Jonathan Swift. What I'm saying is that people need to perhaps not take themselves so damned seriously all the time that they can't even SEE when someone is maybe not being 100% serious, or perhaps think about the motivation behind a post making light of someone else's...

Finally, someone that remembers that animation. My GF is the nasally guy that says, "We'll never make it."

acidic or not, as you can see from the responses, apparently sarcasm and satire are a lost art form in this day and age.

People considered Gulliver's Travels acidic, hateful, and too controversial to read when it was first published...and it is arguably one of the greatest works of satirical literature of all time. I'm not saying that Bill is Jonathan Swift. What I'm saying is that people need to perhaps not take themselves so damned seriously all the time that they can't even SEE when someone is maybe not being 100% serious, or perhaps think about the motivation behind a post making light of someone else's...

Isn't there a fine line between sarcasm and trolling? I'm a cynical and sarcastic asshole quite often. And I often decide not to post things because I reckon, "This may be trolling."

How do we know the difference? While I don't think it was trolling, bill's post certainly had some of the characteristics, i.e., reasonably expected to be inflammatory and provoke an inflammatory response.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Huh! Sorta like your post, then.

Not even close. The post I made the victim stated that the man saw her McCain/Palin sticker on her car and carved a "B" in the side of her face. That IS a direct link (Anti-Republican). What evidence do you have?

Your post is clearly a race crime.

What does "B" stand for? Bush? Bear-Stearns, bigot, Biggert, boggart, blowjob, Borneo...?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

People generally don't understand a point until it's broken down into terms simple enough for them to understand.

It's not trolling. In fact, it's quite an excellent point. Unfortunately, I think the comparisons it draws will go unnoticed by its intended audience. Whether that's a function of ignorance or denial, we'll never know. ;)

.jim

"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Isn't there a fine line between sarcasm and trolling? I'm a cynical and sarcastic asshole quite often. And I often decide not to post things because I reckon, "This may be trolling."

How do we know the difference? While I don't think it was trolling, bill's post certainly had some of the characteristics, i.e., reasonably expected to be inflammatory and provoke an inflammatory response.

I say we ban him..... now if I could just find that button.....

Come on, let's not be hypersensitive.:P

My GF is the ... guy ...

Interesting.

Come on, post the entire passage or none at all >:(.

My GF is the guy that says, "We'll never make it."

I petition the greenies change this thread title to: WHEN WE MUST SPELL OUT EVERY THOUGHT.

...as in, she (my GF) has the same traits as the pessimist.

"these people"

I assume since I took the hook (kinda) I am one of those people, so Let me 'splain Lucy.
Should you have read my response correctly as bill obviously did, maybe an understanding the need for a road map (in my case) might be apparent.

Then again, conversations I have had in the past with bill aren't apparent , but I am sure they exist in archives, somewhere between A/Z. Not DZ archives'

> snipped bils rsponse and my Q (t in c)

Simple answer is in my Q.
I'm done.

james

"exit fast, fly smooth, dock soft and smile"
'nother james

Oh, I agree it wasn't trolling. But that's my viewpoint. From the viewpoint of others it may be.

Bill's post was really subtle. Brilliantly so, I thought. I took a stab at wjat he was getting at and I think I got it right.

But such a point could be made as bill did - that we don't know the motivations.

The thread is flaming now. It invoked people's passions.

Again, I got it. I saw what bill was trying to say. But... That is why I find such a fuzzy line. I want to know because I straddle that line often. [Blush]

But I appreciate the response.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Oh, I agree it wasn't trolling. But that's my viewpoint. From the viewpoint of others it may be.

Bill's post was really subtle. Brilliantly so, I thought. I took a stab at wjat he was getting at and I think I got it right.

But such a point could be made as bill did - that we don't know the motivations.

The thread is flaming now. It invoked people's passions.

Again, I got it. I saw what bill was trying to say. But... That is why I find such a fuzzy line. I want to know because I straddle that line often. [Blush]

But I appreciate the response.

I like cupcakes.

I'm sitting down, so this one is going over my head. How are Republicans implicated in this?

I'm kinda with you. I don't see how this is a "Republicans murder"?!

Really. How do you suggest we classify all the Republican murders then? :P

I actually hadn't seen the thread to which this was a satire for. I just saw this one and thought WTF? Cuz without the other thread, this one makes NO sense at all.

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor.... rather, to understand satire, you have to know what the satire is in reference to.

Everyone THINKS they have a sense of humor.

I'm sitting down, so this one is going over my head. How are Republicans implicated in this?

I'm kinda with you. I don't see how this is a "Republicans murder"?!

Really. How do you suggest we classify all the Republican murders then? :P

I actually hadn't seen the thread to which this was a satire for. I just saw this one and thought WTF? Cuz without the other thread, this one makes NO sense at all.

It's not that I don't have a sense of humor.... rather, to understand satire, you have to know what the satire is in reference to.

Everyone THINKS they have a sense of humor.

INSERT ROADMAP HERE: That was my way of saying that Republicans are murderers, sarcatically. END ROADMAP HERE.

INSERT ROADMAP HERE: That was my way of saying that Republicans are murderers, sarcatically. END ROADMAP HERE.

Ah right, yes.

Cuz that statement answers ALL the questions.

Republicans are murders. Got it now.

Question though.... ummmm..... ALL Republicans or just the murdering Republicans? And if ALL Republicans are murders, are ALL murders Republicans? I'm just trying to get the logic. Is this an "if and only if" statement or just some other law that is observed in x number of Republicans?

(and finally .... I'm glad I'm not a Republican. Us Libertarians don't have time for all that murdering stuffs)

Ah right, yes.

Cuz that statement answers ALL the questions.

Republicans are murders. Got it now.

Question though.... ummmm..... ALL Republicans or just the murdering Republicans? And if ALL Republicans are murders, are ALL murders Republicans? I'm just trying to get the logic. Is this an "if and only if" statement or just some other law that is observed in x number of Republicans?

(and finally .... I'm glad I'm not a Republican. Us Libertarians don't have time for all that murdering stuffs)

This just started out as sarcasm, so I just want to say one thing: I like cupcakes.:)

Race card!! You guys always play the damn race card!!

First, you clearly don't know me. Second, what would you call it when it is stated that the area in question has a heavy population of "black" people that have killed several "white" people and left them there with no other apparent motive other than to kill them?
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!