quade

YOU have GOT to be kiddin' me? $850B up from $700B in "Sweeteners"

What the FUCK is going on in DC?

Senate takes up plan to buy $700B in assets. Backers hope add-ons will entice foes.

This is INSANITY. HOw on earth does it make sense to "add on" ANOTHER $150 BILLION to this in tax breaks and earmarks?!?

It is amazing is it not?

I have seen some of what is being added and it is crazy.

I am more and more inclinded to think this this mess goes to the top of both parties. Why would neither party be calling for invesitgations and hearings otherwise.

We can only hope the bill fails. And that will happen because those voting no know that the crooks have to go down[:/]

This really sucks>:(
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Where did you get $150B? I saw $110B over 10 years.

Watching Lou Dobbs right now. Unfortunately Dobbs hasn't updated his page yet, but that is the number he's currently reporting.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hmmm. Earmarks intended to entice GOP Congressmen.

I'll bet it works. Fucking asshole GOP will bite on it.

Yep, really sucks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Hmmm. Earmarks intended to entice GOP Congressmen.

I'll bet it works. Fucking asshole GOP will bite on it.

The sweeteners that i've been hearing about have more to do with increasing the FDIC cap, retaining tax cuts, and renewable energy tax incentives. Not so much ear marks as in Woodstock museum.

The bill also adds in three key elements designed to attract House Republican votes - particularly popular tax measures that have garnered bipartisan support.

It would extend a number of renewable energy tax breaks for individuals and businesses, including a deduction for the purchase of solar panels.

The Senate bill would also continue a host of other expiring tax breaks. Among them: the research and development credit for businesses and the credit that allows individuals to deduct state and local sales taxes on their federal returns.

In addition, the bill includes relief for another year from the Alternative Minimum Tax, without which millions of Americans would have to pay the so-called "income tax for the wealthy."

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Now I'm no blind idealist. No candidate is going to make a clean sweep of this deadwood. I did in fact advocate unseating the incumbents some time ago, about the time the NH primaries were going on.

It's the reason I chose back then to back McCain. Not because he'll do everything he says he'll do, but because he says he'll do what needs to be done. If he does a small fraction of what he suggests he will do it will be a start.

In essence I'm betting he'll at least try. I don't get that vibe from Obama even though he sounds very tempting. Dems in Congress and Dems in the White house doesn't suggest reform to me.

Chances may be 1 in 100 that McCain would get anything done, but that's better than 1 in 101.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I'm telling you, this is going to cost TRILLIONS!!

I've already called both my Senators, one of them is against it. The other is for it. I informed the latter that they would lose my vote on this one issue when they're up for re-election. I've already contacted my Congressman (who voted for it on Monday) and informed his office that unless he sees the light the next time the House votes on this mess, he too will have lost my vote.

All three of the aforementioned are Republicans.

We don't have the money. We don't need to spend it (never mind that we don't have it to spend). There are alternatives, and all it takes is for these guys to get their grubby fingers OUT OF IT.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

If you have the means at your disposal right this minute, get to the Lou Dobbs show on CNN now.

Alas here in the UK I do not - synopsis?

If you have the means at your disposal right this minute, get to the Lou Dobbs show on CNN now.

Transcript;
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ldt.html

Not quite up to date yet as the show just ended.

Lou Dobbs is a VERY well respected fiscal conservative; very well respected by both sides of the aisle. He's going ballistic.
quade -

Transcript;
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ldt.html

Thanks
Not quite up to date yet as the show just ended.

OMG!

BEN STEIN just said on Larry King that the economy was on solid ground when Clinton was in office and that under Bush it has been run into the ground.

Holy crap that's a turn around.

Something fundamental is changing right now. Not really certain how all this is going to shake out, but it's like we're in an opposite universe or something.
quade -

Well, it passed. 75 to 24 or something like that. I just watched the vote...
Make light!

What the FUCK is going on in DC?

Senate takes up plan to buy $700B in assets. Backers hope add-ons will entice foes.

This is INSANITY. How on earth does it make sense to "add on" ANOTHER $150 BILLION to this in tax breaks and earmarks?!?

Well, they had to do something to please the House Republicans.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

On the plus side, this may be the first time this particular group in Speakers Corner have ever simultaneously agreed on something.

No it's not....

:P

:D
Make light!

Check out page A19 in today's (10/2/08) Wall Street Journal. The top half of the page is devoted entirely to what politicians said about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...starting in 2003.

Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, Chuckie Schumer, Chris Dodd (one of my senators, ugh) and others said how these two institutions were doing just fine and not to tighten up restrictions on them. Pass these people some salt while they eat their words.

I hope each of them suffers the next time they are up for re-election. My guess is, unfortunately, their constituents are too stupid to vote them out of office.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

I hope each of them suffers the next time they are up for re-election.

The tragedy of our political system is that the worst we can do to our elected representatives is not vote for them. If any of us committed half the crimes they did, we would be in jail or executed.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Check out page A19 in today's (10/2/08) Wall Street Journal. The top half of the page is devoted entirely to what politicians said about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac...starting in 2003.

Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, Chuckie Schumer, Chris Dodd (one of my senators, ugh) and others said how these two institutions were doing just fine and not to tighten up restrictions on them. Pass these people some salt while they eat their words.

I hope each of them suffers the next time they are up for re-election. My guess is, unfortunately, their constituents are too stupid to vote them out of office.

Why omit any mention of Gramm, Leach, Bliley and "The Deregulator" in the totality of this fiasco? Feeling partisan?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.