likearock

Bristol Palin is pregnant

Question from an ignorant Brit; is Bristol a common name? It's just I can't read about this story without wondering why you'd name a daughter after a provincial city in the west of England that used to be quite big on slavery...

They're Republicans :o:P

Disclaimer: before anyone pipes in, I know it was the R's who freed the slaves, just that things have changed. ;)

In all seriousness, McCain has got to come clean on whether he knew or not beforehand. It's just not going to fly that he knew about it but just never mentioned it till now. My guess is that Sarah Palin herself didn't know about it until after she was selected as VP.

Any way you slice it, it's a terrible situation for the GOP. Rather than put to rest the other pregnancy, it adds fuel to it.

Totally agree, and with her hard right evangelical stance, it was a big fuck up - no way he would have chosen her if he knew, but the whoe party will play it off and spin it at the Dems by asking what the big deal is, they support underage unwed mothers, and now the whitchhunt? This is the equivalent of Larry Craig toe tapping his way to cock; it's their platform / agenda / morality that they preach then violate. The R's will use it as a platform to show how anti-abortion they are, saying they could have goven her a secret abortion, but instead decided to make it public.

And to sort of get back on topic, I hate to hear of 17-year-old girls getting pregnant, but I admire Bristol for choosing to keep the baby. And it sounds like she will have a very supportive family to help her raise the child.

Actually, as the thread-starter, I don't think that is the main topic. The most important issue brought up by this thread is not the pregnancy nor is it the views of Sarah Palin on birth control. It is the fact that McCain, on his first major decision as a potential president, did a botched job when it came to vetting this candidate. Apparently, they are insisting they knew this all along but, if so, how could they possibly be okay with it coming out the way it did? There's no way they knew about this beforehand and the sooner they are honest about that the better it will be.

That is an excellent point.

I simply can't imagine ANY parents who love their teenaged unmarried daughter choosing to have her pregnancy headlined on the front page of every newspaper and every TV station in the world, as they must have known it would be.

The claim that they knew ahead of time simply does not ring true.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It is the fact that McCain, on his first major decision as a potential president, did a botched job when it came to vetting this candidate.

I wouldn't call that a "fact." I don't really see any reason to think that McCain didn't know about the pregnancy. I don't think it's something that will hurt his campaign, so I don't think it would have kept him from picking her as his VP. Actually, it probably helps to ensure the votes of pro-life Christians, which I assume is one of the main groups he was trying to woo by choosing her.

Apparently, they are insisting they knew this all along but, if so, how could they possibly be okay with it coming out the way it did?

How else would it have come out? Do you think they should have just announced it as soon as they announced who the VP candidate was? It's something that really shouldn't be anyone else's business anyway, but they're probably announcing it now since it's going to come out one way or another. (Politics being nasty and all.)

No one outside of Anchorage would care if the governor's daughter got knocked up. For the VP candidate's daughter is is obvious that it will be all over every media outlet in the world. Either Palin didn't care about the embarrassment this must cause her teenage daughter, or she didn't know.

I think its funnier than shit... its just another breath of reality for the Party of Morality.

Do as I say.. not as I do.... then again.. it does show how good that whole abstinence thing is working out for the fundies.

The real beauty is how Obama handled it, when asked, he said that it was off limits; it's family, not politics. That was so golden in an era where many would pounce on teh opportunity. The guy is class.

Palen - I don't care if she believes the Earth is only six thousand years old, but I do care she's thinks nothing of shoveling that garbage into young minds. She also thinks the "Pledge of Allegiance" was written by the Founding Fathers . . .

And if anyone says it's not fair to use her pregnant child for political purposes just think about the field day neocons would have had if Chelsie Clinton had done the same thing at 17!

Here's Mrs. WhoNeedsPolarBears when she was a sportscaster. If you can call it that. Looks more like a deer caught in the headlights . . .

http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1764733625

NickD :o

Actually no, the Chelsea Clinton example is not workable here, since the dems don't demonize teen sex, unwed mothers, etc. To make a fair comparison it would be like Chelsea being discovered to have a Nazi armband and membership to the Arian Brotherhood, that would = the same hypocrisy as this situation.

Who cares? Is the girl running for VP - because I thought it was her mom. Why would the girls predicament have any bearing on the parent... Not like she made he pregnant.

Yet another American politics Red Herring:|

Follow me here:

1. The right is huge on parenting, personal responsibility

2. Palin esp is evngelical and denounces premarital teen sex

3. Bristol has come up pregnant, defying all of the values of her family, hence the party

Who cares? Is the girl running for VP - because I thought it was her mom. Why would the girls predicament have any bearing on the parent... Not like she made he pregnant.

Yet another American politics Red Herring:|

As I learn more about Palin I am coming to understand the vitriolic attacks.

Why? This woman has a great chance of becoming the first female US Pres. Since she is not a Dem, they have to try and destroy her now..

Simple if you look at it in that perspective.

No, she's destroying herself, we're just watching..... want some popcorn?

I have to ask then, what's the difference between Pro-Choice and Pro-Abortion?

Pro-choice is acknowledging that a person's body is that person's own, and should a female conceive, the government should not be able to dictate to her that she must have the baby, that she cannot terminate the pregnancy. Pro-choice favors having options. The relative value of those options might vary from individual to individual, but those values are decided on by the individual, not the government.

Pro-abortion is favoring abortion in the event of unexpected pregnancy, as a default strategy.

I see little difference between what you wrote, but no matter, we probably disagree on the topic anyway. :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

So you think McCain is going to die in office then?

Sorry no, that is not what I meant. (sorry if my post was confusing)

I do think though that because of his age he will only run one time. That sets her up to be the next Rep. canidate. Her conservative views will make her very popular. So, the left is taking her on now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I do think though that because of his age he will only run one time.

Which makes the Repub primary voters extra sharp for nominating him.

Face it, the whole thing is falling in for you. B|

In all seriousness, McCain has got to come clean on whether he knew or not beforehand. It's just not going to fly that he knew about it but just never mentioned it till now. My guess is that Sarah Palin herself didn't know about it until after she was selected as VP.

Any way you slice it, it's a terrible situation for the GOP. Rather than put to rest the other pregnancy, it adds fuel to it.

Totally agree, and with her hard right evangelical stance, it was a big fuck up - no way he would have chosen her if he knew,....

Why do you think that? McCain is against a woman's right to control her own body, against funding sex education, and when asked if he thought condoms helped prevent the spread of AIDS, he replied "You've stumped me".

Palin: The AK gubernatorial candidates were pressed on their stances on abortion and were even asked what they would do if their own daughters were raped and became pregnant.

Palin said she would support abortion only if the mother's life was in danger. She said, "I would choose life." (November 2006).

Translated, the only choice Palin supports is a rapist's right to choose the mother of his child.

Birds of a feather, IMO.

Because sex education in schools has been so effective in reducing teen pregnancies and incidents of STD's?

Promoting ignorance has never solved any problem.

Non answer-try again.

Because sex education in schools has been so effective in reducing teen pregnancies and incidents of STD's?
The ability to effectively debate does not make a position valid.

All you can do is to educate and monitor, suppression of intelligence, education is purely pathetic, AKA the Republican Party.

Aw come on Paul.. he keeps calling me a liberal.. I mean.. you are a liberal.. but me?????

Sheesh.. the PA's that you guys allow some people.....never cease to amaze me

:ph34r:

Everything seams to amaze you. You should get out more!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I disagree. It's only terrible for the GOP if they choose to make a stink about it themselves, and I don't think they will. Pregnant teenage daughters happen to parents all across the political spectrum. I see no reason why this would be a problem, it only humanizes the ticket. Lord knows, we've had enough President's kids smoking pot, boozing it up with fake ID's and heaven only knows what else. Reagan's daughter was a complete hellion, fucking every rock star she could wrap her legs around and it never really damaged him.

The mother covering for the daughter should be easy enough to disprove. I think it's a disgusting rumor to start, regardless of politics.

The only part I have any problem with is the decision to marry. I do know a couple or two who married that young and are still together after thirty years, but they're the rare exception. But I suppose that's their business.

Anyway, I'm voting for Obama just the same.

That's right, and homosexuality happens everywhere too, but when the hateful rightwing homopho0be Larry Craig is trolling for cock in a Minn airport bathroom, it IS way differnt than if Clinton did it. Don;t like the double standard? Sorry, tough. Clinton pushed for don't ask policies, he is advocating the right to be gay versus the Nazi Craig who was adamantly against it. Double standard? Yes. Justified? Most definately.

And if anyone says it's not fair to use her pregnant child for political purposes just think about the field day neocons would have had if Chelsie Clinton had done the same thing at 17!

And how would you know if this happened with Chelsea Clinton? The Clintons are all for abortion. Perhaps it did happen and they made their problem go away. The Palin's are dealing with this, despite what the lefty nutjobs who want to destroy them think. They're dealing with this the courageous way and proving to America that when Sarah Palin says she does not believe abortion is OK, she means it. Shows character to me.

Something to think about before anyone here takes the moral high ground on this issue. If you have had sexual intercourse as a teenager or while unmarried (whether it resulted in a pregnancy or not) you are no better or worse than Bristol Palin and her boyfriend.

I suggest you drop your stones because many of you are looking really foolish right now.

As for abstinence teaching, biologically speaking, practicing abstinence prevents pregnancies and STD's 100% of the time.

Regarding Tim Palin's DWI 24 years ago is laughable that anyone here would judge that since this very site promotes and glorifies alcohol use constantly.

Once again, drop your stones. Still looking extremely foolish.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>And how would you know if this happened with Chelsea Clinton? The Clintons are all for abortion. Perhaps it did happen and they made their problem go away.

So you're basing your argument on the hypothetical presumption that Chelsea Clinton was also pregnant? Sweet, have a nice day :S

Translated, the only choice Palin supports is a rapist's right to choose the mother of his child.

Live by the media smear...get busted by the media smear.

IT just keep getting better and better.

All you can do is to educate and monitor, suppression of intelligence, education is purely pathetic, AKA the Republican Party.

I guess any semblance of an intelligent discussion is now gone. Thanks to you three for chiming in.

And how would you know if this happened with Chelsea Clinton? The Clintons are all for abortion. Perhaps it did happen and they made their problem go away.

Wow.. a whole new spin on Clinton Did it First....:S:S

Even if there wasn't even rumor of it, let alone evidence of it. Amazon, it's called shrilling desperation, they know the outcome of November, they're just in denial.

Just because YOU don't like the answer doesn't make it a non-answer.

negative-
Nerdgirl=Answer
Billvon=Answer
Kallend=Unsupported statement, not answer.

Ok my Devil's Advocate pot stirring in done-back to your regularly scheduled disagreements

Thx for stopping by :D

Live by the media smear...get busted by the media smear.

IT just keep getting better and better.

I guess any semblance of an intelligent discussion is now gone. Thanks to you three for chiming in.

Having a hard time dealing with the bad news, aren't you?;)

Wow, you, Billvon and Amazon are really having problems with reading comprehension today. Being Pro-Choice is pro-abortion, no matter how hard you try to make a distinction to quiet your consciences. The statement "I would never choose abortion myself but I would never stop anyone else from having one." is the same logic as "I would never steal, but I would never stop anyone else who chooses to steal." It's guilt by omission.

Ridiculous. I'm anti-abortion, but pro-choice. I think abortions indicate a gross amount of irresponsibility, other than abortions to save the mother's life. But the key is, do we legislate the right to have an abortion or legislate the prohibition of same?

Question from an ignorant Brit; is Bristol a common name? It's just I can't read about this story without wondering why you'd name a daughter after a provincial city in the west of England that used to be quite big on slavery...

Maybe she was named for her mom's pubic hair once it started growing back after being shaved... :D
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

When you look in the mirror, do you see a doctor-killer? After all, pro-lifers often target (and sometimes murder) doctors. And you are one of them.

OMG you dont think about things to much do you Kallend? Some very small % of pro-lifers want to kill docs. but your ignorant statement is sooooo far out there ok Amazon??? You know i heard Manson liked water and im sure you do to , does that make you crazy?? Never mind dont answer the last question i think i know the answer;) I didnt realize you could be like wack job left.......

I want my 15 seconds back.