birdlike

Why is this substandard way of speaking becoming more prevalent?

These "substandard" way of speaking is pretty old and has existed in every decade throughout the 20th century in music and some movies. You just weren't paying attention. There's legitimate culture here. Maybe not your culture.

Wrongness is a cultural attribute, huh?

:| What a thing to be proud of.

I can't wait until countries start putting representations of their failure to get a man into space on their flags, now, too.

For the many years that it has existed. I have never heard a General, Admiral, Astronaut, President or other major players in the control of the world utter these substandard words. It's almost always in the Entertainment areas: Music, Sports, Television. . .

There is no problem here. Like I have said, It's always been here. These complaints are just another form of "Young vs. Old" argument. It's not something new. It seems to be new to you though.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Whenever I'm in Walmart, and using my phone's calculator to divide out and figure whether the 35 lb. box of kitty litter is a better value than the 27 lb. box of kitty litter...

I look around me...

And I realize that I must be one of about, ohh... 2 people in the store who even know how to do what I am doing! [:/]

Or maybe they just don't own cats.

Maybe the rest of the people aren't doing what you're doing because they have noticed that the price per pound is already listed in small writing next to the overall price. :P

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I have been hearing more and more people talking in this way:

- "Why he did dat?"
- "What you said?"
- "My car run good!"
- "Why it's like dat?"

They are asking questions, in most cases, but not phrasing them as questions. They add the interrogative inflection, yes, but the syntax is what one would use when making a statement.

At work, in an office environment, a woman left her wedding/engagement rings in the washroom and later, the hunt was on for them.

I heard the woman who found them telling another woman that she had done so:

"Hey, yo, I found that lady ring."

NO possessives.
NO plurals.

What is happening to this language?! To this culture?! B|>:(

Apparently if you maul the English language and speak like an un-educated three year old you can then claim that the language that you are speaking is actually called 'American'. As in "do you speak AMERICAN" (the last word should be spoken loudly and slowly) :S
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

. . . do YOU think that many or most people know how to arrive at a price-per-ounce (or pound) price comparison?

I'm sure that there are a lot of people who don't know how to do that. But I can't generally tell who those people are based on their appearance (looking around at people in WalMart).

I didn't mean to imply or give room for the impression that I was talking about visually seeing the people and making judgments about their ability to do this based on appearances.

I just meant that in a general sense, I don't think a lot of people can do that stuff--at least, not once they're more than a couple of years out of high school.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

>do YOU think that many or most people know how to arrive at a price-
>per-ounce (or pound) price comparison? I just don't have that confidence.

I think most people can divide one number by another; the majority of them without a calculator. Many people just don't bother - which is also fine. Not everyone has to save thirty one cents on kitty litter.

What?! Not even with those damned Republicans driving the price of gas up to $8 per gallon?! :S
Imaginations on fire

I am not able to do the long mulitiplication involved in my head. I'm fine with admitting that. But at least I know how to solve the actual problem.

dude, you're complaining about uneducated people, not being able to speak correctly or to find the cheapest kitty litter in the store, but you can't even divide 50 by 35 without using a calculator?!?!

Are you kidding?

1.3, done just now with no calculator.

I'm talking about shopping at 3 a.m., after 8 hours of work, and looking at a box of kitty litter that is 27 lbs. for $9.87, and 35 lbs. for $12.87.

No, I do not make the claim to easily be able to do the math, retain the figures, and make the determination of the better value in my head. Maybe if I put my mind to training it to do these (as I had in high school) I could, but I have the calculator at hand, so why bother, anyway?

What I am saying is that I doubt a lot of people still remember--if they ever knew--how to even set up the equation that would help them get the right answer.
Imaginations on fire

Is that why your posts are always so negative? You like the attention.

Sigh, it's soo female to harbor resentment.

Just let it go, sweetie. It'll be good for you in the long run.

Oooh, negative and patronizing! :o

If we see condescending soon, it'll be a hat-trick! :D
Imaginations on fire

For the many years that it has existed. I have never heard a General, Admiral, Astronaut, President or other major players in the control of the world utter these substandard words. It's almost always in the Entertainment areas: Music, Sports, Television. . .

So what you're saying is that we should not expect anyone who speaks in this way to rise up to become those things? Doesn't that open the door to them complaining that they're being "kept down"? What you pointed out seems to just rationalize an "elitist" system...

It opens the door to having the members of the demographic groups that speak this way (be they black, white, hispanic or other) continue using the substandard language and then those who use proper English get criticized for not helping them get educated to the point where they are competitive for those top jobs... We'll be accused of being complacent about having a hierarchical society and too happy to sit at the top of it.

There is no problem here. Like I have said, It's always been here. These complaints are just another form of "Young vs. Old" argument. It's not something new. It seems to be new to you though.

I know it's not new. I'm saying that I think it is becoming MORE PREVALENT. Blame entertainment, movies, cartoons, rap music... it IS showing up more and more in people's speech!

Combine this with school-aged kids submitting term papers and book reports with "SMILEYS" in them, and txt msg abbrvtns, and I fear for the "future" that everyone says our kids are. Who's going to write legal briefs, new laws, treaties...? Will there be a dedicated underclass that is free to be as dumb as they want, and a dedicated overclass that takes care of everything that requires standardization to work correctly?
Imaginations on fire

Apparently if you maul the English language and speak like an un-educated three year old you can then claim that the language that you are speaking is actually called 'American'. As in "do you y'all speak A 'MERICUN" (the last word should be spoken loudly and slowly)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

So what you're saying is that we should not expect anyone who speaks in this way to rise up to become those things? Doesn't that open the door to them complaining that they're being "kept down"? What you pointed out seems to just rationalize an "elitist" system...

It opens the door to having the members of the demographic groups that speak this way (be they black, white, hispanic or other) continue using the substandard language and then those who use proper English get criticized for not helping them get educated to the point where they are competitive for those top jobs... We'll be accused of being complacent about having a hierarchical society and too happy to sit at the top of it.

I know it's not new. I'm saying that I think it is becoming MORE PREVALENT. Blame entertainment, movies, cartoons, rap music... it IS showing up more and more in people's speech!

Combine this with school-aged kids submitting term papers and book reports with "SMILEYS" in them, and txt msg abbrvtns, and I fear for the "future" that everyone says our kids are. Who's going to write legal briefs, new laws, treaties...? Will there be a dedicated underclass that is free to be as dumb as they want, and a dedicated overclass that takes care of everything that requires standardization to work correctly?

I'd argue that there is already.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Apparently if you maul the English language and speak like an un-educated three year old you can then claim that the language that you are speaking is actually called 'American'. As in "do you y'all speak A 'MERICUN" (the last word should be spoken loudly and slowly)

:D:D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Then defending their use of the substandard English that keeps them easily recognizable as the underclass implies that you're fine with it being that way.
Imaginations on fire

[replyCombine this with school-aged kids submitting term papers and book reports with "SMILEYS" in them, and txt msg abbrvtns, and I fear for the "future" that everyone says our kids are. Who's going to write legal briefs, new laws, treaties...? Will there be a dedicated underclass that is free to be as dumb as they want, and a dedicated overclass that takes care of everything that requires standardization to work correctly?

It's interesting that you say that .... This _>

And in a controversial new poster campaign it appears that many local education authorities agree, resorting to communicating with children in ‘text speak’.

Nearly 5,000 posters have been put up in schools, written in a mind-boggling array of numbers and unlikely combinations of letters, in an attempt to connect with children who are more comfortable writing and reading in the abbreviated language used in mobile phone text messages than formal English.

clicky from one of yesterdays "news" [sic] papers [shakes head]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

On a daily basis, I hear the question, "Where do we land at?"

I sigh and reply, "who's At?"[:/]

A man after my own heart.

Reminds me of the old Eddie Murphy routine where he was doing both sides of an argument with a hotheaded, angry black woman and her man.

Brotha: So, uh, where you gonna be? [:/]

Sista: I'll be where I'm AT! >:(
Imaginations on fire

Did you ever know a child who repeatedly acted out knowing their behavior would end in punishment? They did this because negative attention was preferable to no attention at all.

Ummm...yes. :S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

It's interesting that you say that .... This _>

And in a controversial new poster campaign it appears that many local education authorities agree, resorting to communicating with children in ‘text speak’.

Nearly 5,000 posters have been put up in schools, written in a mind-boggling array of numbers and unlikely combinations of letters, in an attempt to connect with children who are more comfortable writing and reading in the abbreviated language used in mobile phone text messages than formal English.

So they've capitulated, ceded control of the asylum to the inmates. [:/]:S>:(

Folks, people, I really hope you realize this... Our human civilization is fucking DOOMED! B|
Imaginations on fire

Then defending their use of the substandard English that keeps them easily recognizable as the underclass implies that you're fine with it being that way.

I wasn't defending it simply agreeing with your vison of the future and stating that I believe that to some degree it has already happened.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Did you ever know a child who repeatedly acted out knowing their behavior would end in punishment? They did this because negative attention was preferable to no attention at all.

Ummm...yes. :S

linz

Sigh ...more silly little girl behavior.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Whenever I'm in Walmart, and using my phone's calculator to divide out and figure whether the 35 lb. box of kitty litter is a better value than the 27 lb. box of kitty litter...

I look around me...

And I realize that I must be one of about, ohh... 2 people in the store who even know how to do what I am doing! [:/]

You have to use a calculator to do that? Say it ain't so.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Absofuckinglutely seems to be a good word though. At least to me it does, since it's part of my good 'ol culture...lol. May seem pretty damn stupid to somebody else though. :S

linz

A classic ecample of the use of tmesis.

Absofuckinglutely seems to be a good word though. At least to me it does, since it's part of my good 'ol culture...lol. May seem pretty damn stupid to somebody else though. :S

linz

A classic ecample of the use of tmesis.

You're RIGHT! And because of you, I've expanded my vocabulary today. :)

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

For the many years that it has existed. I have never heard a General, Admiral, Astronaut, President or other major players in the control of the world utter these substandard words.

Indeed! A president who used words like: "misunderestimate", "Hispanos," "arbolist,"
"subliminable," "resignate," "transformationed"... would sound like a first class idiot.