kbordson

10 people

Discussion tonight was very interesting.

Assumption - you had to pick 10 people to travel back in time to "begin again"

You got to pick who would go back and you had 2mos to train them.

Tell me about the demographics (male/female ratio, age grouping, the specialty training)

I posted this here instead of bonfire... cuz I didn't just want the "me and 9 chicks with bobbies" type posts. Try to keep the discussion going. We talked over two hours and though I was EXHAUSTED and falling asleep... it was fascinating to discuss the answers.

how far back
-unknown exact time, unknown exact location (and that played into the pre month training)

and would be have the knowledge and skills we currently posess
-yes, but the restriction given was no knowledge greater than an Associates Degree (2yrs out of high school)

what can we take with us?

-at the point of this discussion, just the clothes you have on. No tools, no books

6 women all age 18 from 4 ethnic backgrounds. Doesn't matter which ones because not all can be saved. Each trained in a specific field. History, medicinex2, law, health (to include foods and food production), and science/relgion.

4 men, again from different ethnic backgrounds. I would want the men to be slightly older to avoid the 18 year old male urge to just hit on the only 4 girls around. Train them in hunting, food procurment, construction, physics.

More women for faster population production. Men for basic hunting and gathering.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

well are we going back in time to restart the human race or are we going back in time to explore and educate an earlier group of humans, such as the roman era. so what is the goal of this expedition and how far back are we going?
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

Don't quiet understand your query, but if I were picking a 10 "man" speed star team I would choose the following. (and in this exit order)

01: Mike Patterson
02: Terry Mazino
03: Larry Gossler
04: Mary Donnan
05: Phil Smith
06: Ron Brissey
07: Jim Hooper
08: Helen Tyson
09: Jeff Serles
10: Fugelburg

If you want the greatest genetic mix available for the purposes of genetic viability, you're going to have to toss out some of the ordinary rules which -may- sound repugnant to the masses but would be critical if this was in fact the only option left for the entire human race.

Candidates must be hetrosexual, willing and able to breed. Females must know their primary responsibility, no matter what else they bring to the group, will be to breed. They will be expected to give birth to a child of a different father every two years until age 35.

Candidates would be screened via simple IQ tests. Anything below 110 disqualifies entirely.

You probably want a 5 male and 5 female mix. Ages can vary from 16 to 24, but the higher the age the higher level of education and knowledge will be required of the candidate. The lower the age, the higher the IQ requirement.

All candidates would be screened for genetically transmitted diseases common for their ethnicity.

Since these are people that are going to be traveling back to . . . let's call it the garden of eden . . . I would strongly suggest the screening out of as much religious zealotry as possible. They're time travelers. Presumably they understand science. My personal opinion is the world will get rebuilt a LOT faster without religion than with it. If they think there's a god, they might think he'll "save" them. If they KNOW they only have themselves to rely on, they'll work harder.

As for training, I think you need people with a wide base of knowledge. Every person should have a primary and a secondary knowledge expertise in unrelated fields. This way if your "doctor" gets hurt, the other one can take care of him. Or if one "hunter" gets hurt, you won't starve. So, this means you'll have 20 skills spread among 10 people. Since the females will be primarily baby factories, their skills will be focused mostly on things they can do with children around; pottery, weaving, cooking, light gardening, education, ect. Males, on the other hand are -slightly- more expendable and will take on the more dangerous work of hunting, housing construction, defense (from wild beasts), major civil projects, ect.

Since there are ONLY 10 people in the world, all of their tools are going to need to be basic and self sustaining. Guns, while awesome to hunt with if you have an unlimited supply of bullets, will be practically useless in the long term since there won't be anyone around to make gun powder and bullets. Yes, those things could -eventually- be made, but it would take years of "spare" time these people just wouldn't have at first. Things like spears, bows and arrows are really what this is going to come down to. So you're going to have to have a couple of people that know about making bows and arrows from scratch.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

actually your wrong, the most viable genetics wise is 10 lesbian negros with a stock pile of sperm

How would you keep the sperm viable after the first couple of days when the LN2 gassed off?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's funny, the only people who would enjoy the benefits of whatever this 10-way (they would all have to be skydivers, right? ;)) might accomplish would be the ten themselves, and whoever is on the alternate earth that their trip back in time spawns in the time-continuum.

I just do not go in for the "Frequency" or "Terminator" type mythos that someone is "existing in the future" waiting to see the benefits of the mission they sent to the past. That is nonsense.

If I sent someone back to a year ago to cut off my left arm, would I watch as he disappeared on the time platform, and then a moment later my arm would be missing and I'd be like, "Whoa! Dude! He did it!"? No. It couldn't possibly work that way.

Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

6 women all age 18 from 4 ethnic backgrounds. Doesn't matter which ones because not all can be saved. Each trained in a specific field. History, medicinex2, law, health (to include foods and food production), and science/relgion.

4 men, again from different ethnic backgrounds. I would want the men to be slightly older to avoid the 18 year old male urge to just hit on the only 4 girls around. Train them in hunting, food procurment, construction, physics.

More women for faster population production. Men for basic hunting and gathering.

This begins to sound like the first ten pages or so of "Stranger In A Strange Land"; except that was a mission to Mars. Oh, did I mention that it was doomed? :D
Imaginations on fire

actually your wrong, the most viable genetics wise is 10 lesbian negros with a stock pile of sperm

How would you keep the sperm viable after the first couple of days when the LN2 gassed off?

Ever heard of "gargling"?

(...EWWWWwwwww! [:/])
Imaginations on fire

Not my problem I wont be there:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You begin again with a division of labor by gender AND you bring law and religion with you.

Good luck with that.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Come on birdlike Please REALLY NOT COOL. Don't f*ck around with this thread. It's a very intriguging & thought provoking topic & concept.
As Karen stated in the OP this is exactly why this is posted here & NOT in the bonfire.
There are literally1000s of threads, with topics far less mature or intellectual to screw around in & hi-jack. PLEASE respect this one!
Aside from the fact that it isn't really as farfetched a concept or exercise as some may believe it to be. Think about it, a scenario of starting over almost from scratch such as this, is not THATfar offbase of what could possibly happen in such an unstable world.
& even if it is, it still makes a very interesting discussion.
Instability of mankind itself with all the very real threats of nations constantly engaging in war. All it would take is one rouge nation with nuclear weapons & a similar scenario could become a reality.
You don't think that living in bunkers or a post holocost world would be equivalant to going back in time to some degree, to start over from scratch with only the most basic of elements?
Global warming! Even if you don't believe either of these scenarios are possibly going to occur in our lifetime: What right does anyone have to prevent others from having an intellectually based MATURE discussion on the 'what if' aspect of it. In the OP Karen VERY POLITELY in a subtle, unpretentious manner made the request, to respect the concept & discussion in a mature fashion, quite clear.
She would be 1 of the VERY LAST members here to disrespect such a request or anyone without justifable cause. Yes she also has a great sense of humor. I'm certain she doesn't mind a wayward one-liner on the topic here & there in the replies.
It doesn't mean we can just disrespect the thread topic, entirely hijacking it with nothing but repeatitive replies of goofy wiseass babble. That ain't right.
If King or Spielberg had their name on it you'd throw down $30 for tix, stale popcorn flat soda & BITCH if anyone interrupted
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

If you want the greatest genetic mix available for the purposes of genetic viability, you're going to have to toss out some of the ordinary rules which -may- sound repugnant to the masses but would be critical if this was in fact the only option left for the entire human race.

Candidates must be hetrosexual, willing and able to breed. Females must know their primary responsibility, no matter what else they bring to the group, will be to breed. They will be expected to give birth to a child of a different father every two years until age 35.

agreed.... but we did start discussing bisexuality IF that persons was willing to reproduce. Another commet with that genetic variance - what about a common language? Communicaiton is VERY important, but so is the diversity

Candidates would be screened via simple IQ tests. Anything below 110 disqualifies entirely.

Hadn't thought of IQ limits, but now that you mention it, it probably should be a requirement

You probably want a 5 male and 5 female mix. Ages can vary from 16 to 24, but the higher the age the higher level of education and knowledge will be required of the candidate. The lower the age, the higher the IQ requirement.

Why 5/5? I encouraged the 6/4 ratio just to increase the fertility rates of the group itself, but knowing the genetic variablity will decline. I didn't like 7/3 because I felt as you decreased the male numbers you might increase possessiveness.

All candidates would be screened for genetically transmitted diseases common for their ethnicity.

OK... we started that discussion, but I was too tired to get into the argument that many of the genetic "diseases" - like Sickle Cell Disease - developed to be a survival advantage. Having the sickle cell TRAIT protects against malaria... but having the double hit causes anemia. Argument here would be what level of "protective benefit" v. potential for deficit.

Since these are people that are going to be traveling back to . . . let's call it the garden of eden . . . I would strongly suggest the screening out of as much religious zealotry as possible. They're time travelers. Presumably they understand science. My personal opinion is the world will get rebuilt a LOT faster without religion than with it. If they think there's a god, they might think he'll "save" them. If they KNOW they only have themselves to rely on, they'll work harder.

our group thought that one of the 10 to be taught about the less aggressive religions for motivation and hope. BUT cautious about the zealotry. We were thinking buddist training or similiar philosophy. After 15-20yrs... the no religion and science only might lose some of his/her desire to endure without some religious or spiritual guidance... but as you stated... not to RELY on that faith to get the job done.

As for training, I think you need people with a wide base of knowledge. Every person should have a primary and a secondary knowledge expertise in unrelated fields. This way if your "doctor" gets hurt, the other one can take care of him. Or if one "hunter" gets hurt, you won't starve. So, this means you'll have 20 skills spread among 10 people. Since the females will be primarily baby factories, their skills will be focused mostly on things they can do with children around; pottery, weaving, cooking, light gardening, education, ect. Males, on the other hand are -slightly- more expendable and will take on the more dangerous work of hunting, housing construction, defense (from wild beasts), major civil projects, ect.

Since there are ONLY 10 people in the world, all of their tools are going to need to be basic and self sustaining. Guns, while awesome to hunt with if you have an unlimited supply of bullets, will be practically useless in the long term since there won't be anyone around to make gun powder and bullets. Yes, those things could -eventually- be made, but it would take years of "spare" time these people just wouldn't have at first. Things like spears, bows and arrows are really what this is going to come down to. So you're going to have to have a couple of people that know about making bows and arrows from scratch.

Remember... you can't take back guns and only 2yr post high school education max AND you only have a month to train them. You can't have two "doctors" by the rules. But... you can have 1 or all trained in first aid. (even advanced for those showing profenciency.) Geology and Botany should be taught (and cooking). Animal skills (tracking and husbandry - although you likely won't be domesticating during the first generation), Stone work and metallurgy(although we thoguht it would be hard to guarantee that you would be placed by a location that could help with bronze production or the immediate availablity of smelting or forging), meteorology (basics and out door survival). . . and we decided that music and entertainment was important - but not at the sacrifice of the other skills.

Lastly we started discussing the generation step. Initially we all wanted adults (and I still ended with that opinion)... but that will create a 15 year step between the generations. One suggested including a 10 year old child so that in 8yrs, not double that, the gene pool could be re-diluted. My argument about that was how helpful would that child be to take the place of an adult so that in a decade. . . 10 years of the group surviving later. . . . then that child fulfills that role. Many things could happen to that child in that time frame.

And another discussion - Monogamy or polygamy? And how do you control for jealousy?

well are we going back in time to restart the human race or are we going back in time to explore and educate an earlier group of humans, such as the roman era. so what is the goal of this expedition and how far back are we going?

The goal is to restart the human race. You are going back to prior to Homo Sapiens civilization. You might "meet" earlier ancestors, but this is not designed to "educate" them.

Well then I cant go and neither can any of the people i want to take with me:ph34r::ph34r:

Even if you can't go... give details on the group that you would select.

I was knocked out too (education bias)... but since we're not REALLY going back, I didn't mind so much. Now if the world was ending tomorrow and there truly was only 10 spots in the "transporter". . . I would have to think REAL hard about trying to change the rules to go back myself... but for the purpose of this conversation, the limits are helpful.

The goal is to restart the human race. You are going back to prior to Homo Sapiens civilization. You might "meet" earlier ancestors, but this is not designed to "educate" them.

Well none of that was stated in the original post.
Hence my question on how far back

If you plan on going back to pre-homonid times.
The single most important thing to take with you is HUMILITY. because you are one step away from fucking the entire history of pre-homonid evolution.

But it also depends on WHY you are going back, if it's just a touristy thing then your goal will be limited, if it's a human survival thing then you are in the process of changing the future and setting up a new civilisation, and with 10 people you do not have enough genetic diversity to get past more than 2 or 3 generations.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Agreed... but with the strict divison of labor, you begin some level dominance/dependancy. That should be discouraged. The women, although primarly breeding is their job, should be able to survive without the males for extended time frames and should be trained in hunting or at least trapping.

Older males... how much older? Late 20's? Or do you add a 40 something that can still reproduce but adds experience and knowledge to the group. (But then the females have to stay in the 19-24 age range, you don't want older females cuz of the decreasing fertility. . . but then you have 20 year difference in mating)

6Agreed... but with the strict divison of labor, you begin some level dominance/dependancy. That should be discouraged. The women, although primarly breeding is their job, should be able to survive without the males for extended time frames and should be trained in hunting or at least trapping.

Older males... how much older? Late 20's? Or do you add a 40 something that can still reproduce but adds experience and knowledge to the group. (But then the females have to stay in the 19-24 age range, you don't want older females cuz of the decreasing fertility. . . but then you have 20 year difference in mating)

IT's FLAWED you do not have enough genetic diversity.
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?