Shawndiver

Colt Woodsman Match Target

Hi All,
I have a beautiful Colt Woodsman that I have been shooting for years. It is a true joy to shoot, and unbelievably accurate! Unfortunately, it is starting to misfire, perhaps one out of ten rounds fails. I believe that the firing pin and or spring needs to be replaced. I am looking for a recommendation for a good gunsmith that has experience in this type, as gunsmiths have become a very rare breed out here in California. This gun has gone from my grandfather to my father to me, so I am hesitant to just hand it over to just anyone. Parts are also going to be a factor. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Shawn

No, unfortunately, I have tried all sorts of different types, and the problem seems universal. You can take a misfired round, try it again and it will work fine the next time. Examining the casings, it is pretty apparent that the pin strike is very light, so I am pretty sure it is a problem with the force of the firing pin.

Thanks!

Shawn

I am looking for a recommendation for a good gunsmith that has experience in this type, as gunsmiths have become a very rare breed out here in California. This gun has gone from my grandfather to my father to me, so I am hesitant to just hand it over to just anyone. Parts are also going to be a factor. Any recommendations are appreciated!

My recommendation to remove all concerns is to go directly to the source...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/custserv.asp
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Beautiful gun!

Yes, the springs can get weak, and firing pins can get worn down.

It may even just be gummed up inside and need a good stripping and cleaning. Try that first.

If it still fails to fire, then I'd send it back to Colt to make sure that it gets re-worked with the proper parts.

Or if you're handy with a little gun-smithing, you might order a new spring and pin and install them yourself.

After about 10k rounds through my AR15, I had to replace the bolt/firing pin assembly, as they were worn out. And then the barrel shortly after that. The wear on the old bolt was so minuscule that you couldn't tell the difference with the naked eye, but once the new one was installed, the problems disappeared.

Thanks John!
I have stripped this gun once already (holy crap, that spring is a bitch!!!) so I feel its time to get an expert into it and do it once and for all correctly. I have not had any personal experience with Colt and their web site is minimal in information at best! But I will give their customer service a call and see what they can offer for this model. I am concerned about parts availability, so that is my main reason for looking for a private gunsmith, I was hoping for someone who may specialize in these models and may have a private stash of parts.

Shawn

I have no stinking clue besides sending it back to Colt, but I do want to say that its a great looking gun and is probably an absolute blast to shoot.

Have you tried contacting some regional antique dealers that also deal with firearms? They might have a trusted smith they use.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks! It is my favorite over my Glock and my Combat Commander for just ease and accuracy. I was pointed to this site here:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/index.html

They have both new/old stock and machine other parts for vintage guns. I have ordered new springs throughout and a new firing pin. Re-assembly of the Woodsman is a bitch, but hopefully it will go faster the 2nd time!

Shawn