bodypilot90

DNC host's tax-free gas evaporates

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/22/city-gives-dnc-host-committee-pass-gas-tax/

The committee hosting the Democratic National Convention has used the city's gas pumps to fill up and apparently avoided paying state and federal fuel taxes.

The practice, which began four months ago, may have ended hours after its disclosure. An aide to Mayor John Hickenlooper released a statement Tuesday evening saying that Denver 2008 Host Committee members would pay market prices for fuel and would also be liable for all applicable taxes.

However, Public Works spokeswoman Christine Downs told City Council members just hours before that host committee members were fueling up at the city pumps. The city does not pay taxes on the fuel for its fleet, and Downs said the host committee would not either.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/22/city-gives-dnc-host-committee-pass-gas-tax/

The committee hosting the Democratic National Convention has used the city's gas pumps to fill up and apparently avoided paying state and federal fuel taxes.

The practice, which began four months ago, may have ended hours after its disclosure. An aide to Mayor John Hickenlooper released a statement Tuesday evening saying that Denver 2008 Host Committee members would pay market prices for fuel and would also be liable for all applicable taxes.

However, Public Works spokeswoman Christine Downs told City Council members just hours before that host committee members were fueling up at the city pumps. The city does not pay taxes on the fuel for its fleet, and Downs said the host committee would not either.

And what would you expect from a liberal city???? You might want to check out what the DNC and Denver have come up with for their convension http://www.thedenverchannel.com/politics/16900475/detail.html

Anyone want to state odds that when / if this DOES hit the MSM, the fact that the Repubs are getting the break too will be played up, while the Dem participation gets quietly swept under the rug?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I don't see it as a dem/rep issue. It's a marketing decision. When the DNC selects a city to host, they definitely expect to get their asses kissed, polished and waxed. Same with the RNC. Denver did a good job kissing butt, and will they continue to do so. I've lived here for over 30 years, and it's one of the more corrupt city governments around.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I don't see it as a dem/rep issue. It's a marketing decision. When the DNC selects a city to host, they definitely expect to get their asses kissed, polished and waxed. Same with the RNC. Denver did a good job kissing butt, and will they continue to do so. I've lived here for over 30 years, and it's one of the more corrupt city governments around.

The hosting cities won't suffer. Sure, they won't collect the fuel taxes but there's a whole lot of money that will be left behind with the local service industries.

Anyone want to state odds that when / if this DOES hit the MSM, the fact that the Repubs are getting the break too will be played up, while the Dem participation gets quietly swept under the rug?

I thought your position was that business decisions made on the local level weren't tax breaks:P Gee, how many times have you told us that GWB didn't get a tax break from Arlington, TX?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I thought your position was that business decisions made on the local level weren't tax breaks:P Gee, how many times have you told us that GWB didn't get a tax break from Arlington, TX?

Why don't you go ahead and re-read my post - then you can show me where I said anything of the sort....you're projecting (again).
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706