ypelchat

Crime rate dropping for the 3rd straight year in Canada

The best place to live. Plain and simple. B|

Yves.

Yeah, but there's all those damn hockey fanatics up there... :P

Yes. They are so dangerous. :):D

Yves.

Well, all those jokes about "going to a fight and a hockey game broke out" have to have a basis SOMEwhere, don't they?

Wait...THAT'S how y'all lowered crime...you banned hockey!!! :D:D:D
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The NHL did move most teams south. But based on memories of Cal-Stanfurd at Berkeley Ice, the more amateur the teams, the most aggressive/drunk the fans.

----
Not terribly surprising that Canada has enjoyed a good stretch - in the same time the looney appreciated 35% against the USD. Sounds like they finally got deficit spending down, while we went the other way.

The NHL did move most teams south. But based on memories of Cal-Stanfurd at Berkeley Ice, the more amateur the teams, the most aggressive/drunk the fans.

----
Not terribly surprising that Canada has enjoyed a good stretch - in the same time the looney appreciated 35% against the USD. Sounds like they finally got deficit spending down, while we went the other way.

I think strict gun control is really responsible for these favorable statistics, Economy played a minor role IMHO.

Yves.

I think strict gun control is really responsible for these favorable statistics,

From the looks of it, hockey wouldn't last long if everyone had guns... :P

Hockey sticks are not deadly.... well, usually not. It depends on how you use them. :S:)

:ph34r:

Yves.
Yves.

so is that registry still around, or did it totally fail?

Yes, it's still in place. Although it was mismanaged from the get go, and costly as hell, but it seems the problems have been adressed, and things are going smoothly now.

Yves.

Yup, I'm sure all those law-abiding citizens had SO much to do with crime... [:/]
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yes, it's still in place. Although it was mismanaged from the get go, and costly as hell, but it seems the problems have been adressed, and things are going smoothly now.

Yves.

Yup, I'm sure all those law-abiding citizens had SO much to do with crime... [:/]

Quebec city, with a population of 550 000, had ZERO homicide in 2007. Are we so different than our American neighbours? How would you explain this?

Yves.

Yves.

Quebec city, with a population of 550 000, had ZERO homicide in 2007. Are we so different than our American neighbours? How would you explain this?

Yves.

Cultural differences - gang influences, drug crime, effectiveness of police.... how many others can YOU think of?

It certainly wasn't guns in the hands of the law abiding...who were the people affected by the registration/forced turn-in.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>Cultural differences - gang influences, drug crime, effectiveness of
>police.... how many others can YOU think of?

Sounds like you agree with Michael Moore, then.

I do note that when an area has permissive gun laws, the reason for a decrease in crime is because many people have guns. When an area has strict gun laws, then it MUST be something else. Odd how that works.

Yves.

Yves.

Cultural differences - gang influences, drug crime, effectiveness of police.... how many others can YOU think of?

It certainly wasn't guns in the hands of the law abiding...who were the people affected by the registration/forced turn-in.

Cultural differences.... Maybe... Who knows.

Maybe you, as Americans, have come to think guns were essential to your safety.... Because you were told so by your father? Or your grand father? I dunno. But I just can't figure why the Americans feel so insecure in their daily lives....

Yves.

I do note that when an area has permissive gun laws, the reason for a decrease in crime is because many people have guns. When an area has strict gun laws, then it MUST be something else. Odd how that works.

Mars/Neptune, solar output and man-made global warming ring a bell for you here, Bill? ;) Funny how that works, indeed.

Seeing as how there have been SEVERAL studies on how gun control laws have little to no effect on reduction of crime, what's your point?

On the converse, lax gun control laws (in the sense of law abiding citizens being allowed to have them) DO seem to help reduce violent crime, although crime statistics tend to show some increase in property crime.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

We have strict gun control here.

So if you get into a fist fight with your neighbour, you have to be very careful, as size does not really matter... :):ph34r:

Yves.

Maybe you, as Americans, have come to think guns were essential to your safety.... Because you were told so by your father? Or your grand father? I dunno. But I just can't figure why the Americans feel so insecure in their daily lives....

Yves.

Please see my "preparation, not paranoia" post in the other gun thread.

Are you paranoid for having a reserve in your rig, or prepared in case you have a malfunction?

Are you paranoid for having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or prepared in case there is a small cooking fire?

Are you paranoid for having airbags or seatbelts in your car, or prepared in case you have an accident?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Yves.

Please see my "preparation, not paranoia" post in the other gun thread.

Are you paranoid for having a reserve in your rig, or prepared in case you have a malfunction?

Are you paranoid for having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or prepared in case there is a small cooking fire?

Are you paranoid for having airbags or seatbelts in your car, or prepared in case you have an accident?

You could live in a bunker, yet, you'll find someone that will find a way to blow you up. Why try to kill a bug with a sledgehammer?

Yves.