quade

Weird Icelandic Singer has China in Panic.

Ok, one normally wouldn't think of Bjork, the quirky and weird Icelandic singer, as a political activist, but holy crap, she has some stones.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080307071842.nhvozsxg&show_article=1&image=large

Good for her.

Wow!:o
I'd heard about Chinese leaders being in a hissy fit, but I hadn't realized she did in in China.:o
If only our elected officials in Congress had balls like that.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I was at the concert in Shanghai last week end. Other than the fact that over 50% of the crowd were expats, I reckon her stance went past most people's heads (as not only did the acoustic suck, but most Chinese don't really give a crap about Tibet one way or the other, especially in Shanghai). The foreign press talks about it much more than people who were actually at the concert do.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I was at the concert in Shanghai last week end. Other than the fact that over 50% of the crowd were expats, I reckon her stance went past most people's heads (as not only did the acoustic suck, but most Chinese don't really give a crap about Tibet one way or the other, especially in Shanghai). The foreign press talks about it much more than people who were actually at the concert do.

When talking about China and politics, one is rare if ever talking about "the people". You're right, I doubt "the people" care at all, however, the leaders are pissed as all get out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

sigur rós hail from iceland, and rightly claim to bring you the beautiful landscape of their homeland with their music.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqbge_sigur-ros-untitled-aka-vaka_music
political activists?...gut wrenching message..

...this music video shows a post-apocalyptic world in which children, attending school, get ready to go outside and play in the nuclear snow. The children, after putting on many layers of clothes as well as ominous gas-masks, go outside to play. The play of the children is characterized by fun, and destruction of the old world from which they came. The final scene shows a little girl breaking her gas mask and dying in the nuclear snow, finally seeing the world for its true beauty outside of the glass confines the children have been forced to use.

http://www.youtube.com/
today sigur rós has taken over the front page of youtube for the day. the band will take over all twelve slots on the sites home page and the centrepiece of this will be “heima” in full. this is the first time a full-length music documentary is available to view on youtube.

other clips i luv...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLCurB1lJw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig

SMiles;)

Ok, one normally wouldn't think of Bjork, the quirky and weird Icelandic singer, as a political activist, but holy crap, she has some stones.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080307071842.nhvozsxg&show_article=1&image=large

Good for her.

I wonder how she feels about recent events. Was it just a coincidence or did her statement have an effect on the psychology of the Tibetans on one hand and of the Chinese authorities on the other?

Good for her.

I wonder how she feels about recent events. Was it just a coincidence or did her statement have an effect on the psychology of the Tibetans on one hand and of the Chinese authorities on the other?

I doubt she had any incidence on the events. Almost no one among the people at the concert noticed her bit, and the few who did were expats (Tibet = Xizang in Chinese, so Chinese people have no clue what TIbet means). I reckon the events in Tibet and Gansu had their own, internal trigger.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Good for her.

I doubt she had any incidence on the events. Almost no one among the people at the concert noticed her bit, and the few who did were expats (Tibet = Xizang in Chinese, so Chinese people have no clue what TIbet means).

First of all, I specifically talked about the psychology of Tibetans and the Chinese authorities. Certainly they were aware of her statement.

Moreover, her actions at the concert were widely disseminated on the Internet. As much as the Chinese try to crack down, I doubt they've been totally successful. And I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than a handful of satellite dishes in the mountains of Tibet.

Certainly they were aware of her statement.

Indeed the Chinese authorities were aware of her statement. But their reaction was to the foreign press reaction much more to a domestic reaction.

Moreover, her actions at the concert were widely disseminated on the Internet

That it was, as it allowed me to see what I had missed at the concert. But again, I doubt the people who watch it on the internet are the ones taking to the streets. As much as I would like to give Bjork credit starting a Tibetan Tea Party, I think she had very, very little influence on the events. Rather, I would look at anniversary dates and events in India having played a much, much bigger role in the timing of the recent events.

Certainly they were aware of her statement.

Indeed the Chinese authorities were aware of her statement. But their reaction was to the foreign press reaction much more to a domestic reaction.

Moreover, her actions at the concert were widely disseminated on the Internet

That it was, as it allowed me to see what I had missed at the concert. But again, I doubt the people who watch it on the internet are the ones taking to the streets. As much as I would like to give Bjork credit starting a Tibetan Tea Party, I think she had very, very little influence on the events. Rather, I would look at anniversary dates and events in India having played a much, much bigger role in the timing of the recent events.

You may be right. But that just covers the Tibetan side. There's no way of knowing if Bjork's actions hadn't added that extra jolt of anxiety in the mindset of the Chinese authorities so that they were just a little quicker on the trigger amidst a peaceful protest.

anxiety in the mindset of the Chinese authorities so that they were just a little quicker on the trigger amidst a peaceful protest.

Anxiety there is from the regime, with the Games coming up and many trying to use it as a soap box. However, reports I get from the US Consulate (which is so on top of it, it's amazing; I get updated emails from the consulate before events hit the news!) is that the peaceful protest, mostly lead by monks, degenerated into an anti Han (biggest Chinese ethnic group) protest, and mobs attacked Han owned businesses, cars, etc... That gave the regime the excuse it needed, to package what is essentially repression into "protection of citizens from hoodlums" intervention. I am afraid things will get uglier before they get any better...

I like to make up my own mind on all issues.

I am conservative on a great many, and liberal on quite a few issues.

The amazing thing is that some people paint all issues one way or another instead of realizing that their points of view are actually the same.

A true conservative would want to uphold the constitution, and therefore negating what many conservatives believe to be good and sane laws.

Liberals seem to also want to throw the baby out with the bath water, in that they also seek to modify the constitution to suit them, removing all that protected and provided them with their freedoms.

Suprise, Suprise:D

Harry Truman would go on a shooting spree if he were alive.;)

Thomas Jefferson might just execute most politicians as the traitors they are.

Is there any difference? not really