pop

False Imprisonment

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/dna.exoneration.ap/index.html

Ever since we got good at DNA testing we quite often hear of cases similar to the one I posted a link too. What you rarely hear about is how the government repays these people who have, for example in this case, spent half their live locked up. I would imagine the government owes these people pretty much a free ride for the rest of their lives. No taxes by the IRS, free medical, monthly income, housing, etc. I don’t actually know what the government does in these cases, if anything. What do you think? Are these people owed anything, and if so, what and how much?
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

In Canada there have been a few high profile cases. Usually they come combined with a finding of wrongdoing by the police or Crown Council (DA). In those cases there is usually a large cash settlement. Without a finding of actual wrongdoing I don't know if the victim gets anything more than an apology.
The sad thing about the Canadian cases is that the victims are usually so mal-socialized by the time they get out that they end up being re-arrested not that much later.

From the article

District Attorney Craig Watkins also attributes the exonerations to a past culture of overly aggressive prosecutors seeking convictions at any cost.

Usually they come combined with a finding of wrongdoing by the police or Crown Council (DA).

I think it would be appropriate to prosecute those who perpetrated a crime.... put them in jail for their actions.

I'd be right back in there after exacting my revenge on the judge and jury who took half my life away.;)

Maybe in cases like this the judge and jury should be jailed for an equal time for their error?

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I think it would be appropriate to prosecute those who perpetrated a crime.... put them in jail for their actions.

That. The cops and/or prosecutors should be subject to civil and criminal liability for their conduct.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

and yet, som estill believe in the death penalty.
:S

Yeah, thats a touchy subject in itself. Cant say Im aginst it, but I owuldnt want to see an innocent person fry either.
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/dna.exoneration.ap/index.html

Ever since we got good at DNA testing we quite often hear of cases similar to the one I posted a link too. What you rarely hear about is how the government repays these people who have, for example in this case, spent half their live locked up. I would imagine the government owes these people pretty much a free ride for the rest of their lives. No taxes by the IRS, free medical, monthly income, housing, etc. I don’t actually know what the government does in these cases, if anything. What do you think? Are these people owed anything, and if so, what and how much?

It would depend on the case. A short incarceration, if the preson can get his/her job back then lost wages and some other minor things should be covered in a lump sum payment. If you have taking the persons best formative years (in terms of career development) then obviously the payout should be more.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.