ExAFO

Chicago Gun Ban

do we need to ask the moderator to separate this from the main thread so you can keep up?

wow...you took the words right out of my mouth...i was going to ask you the same thing. This thread is about guns,...not gun powder.

The gun propels the bullet. The powder is the agent that allows for that to happen. You fire a gun (pull a trigger), there is a low explosion, and the bullet is propelled. I love how gun owners always want to get technical. Example a gun doesn’t kill, but propels lead. Yeah ok...and my car doesn’t take me from A to B. I only use it for its for its fuel combustion. Gun owners always forget to add why someone wants to propel the lead. People kill and guns are used to kill. Everything else about guns is secondary.

By the way…you have awesome copy and paste skills. Chicks dig guys with skills.

Edited to add: Guns were designed to be used to kill...gun powder wasnt. We are talking about guns in here. Keep up.

Low explosion eh?

Wow I did not know that gun powder exploded, please tell me more.

I'm not "ignoring the point of the device" at all. Mike and yourself are arguing that use=design (and specifically bad use). You conveniently forget that guns are used up to 2 million times a year (by some estimates) to PREVENT crime and SAVE lives.

Based on the above, it seems that you could equally say that "guns are designed to save lives".

If you wish to debate the use, then let's do so. If you want to infer that they were "designed to kill", then you're going to have to come up with hard proof - anything less is an argument from emotion.

Why are you being defensive about this? I applaud that guns can be used to protect yourself. I'd get a concealed permit if I could take my gun into national parks where I'm more concerned about drunk rednecks than bears.

If the Chinese were worried about protecting themselves then they'd have built a great big wall. If they wanted to attack people then they would have built something that could fire a projectile.

Hey guess what?...they did

I'm not "ignoring the point of the device" at all. Mike and yourself are arguing that use=design (and specifically bad use). You conveniently forget that guns are used up to 2 million times a year (by some estimates) to PREVENT crime and SAVE lives.

Based on the above, it seems that you could equally say that "guns are designed to save lives".

If you wish to debate the use, then let's do so. If you want to infer that they were "designed to kill", then you're going to have to come up with hard proof - anything less is an argument from emotion.

Why are you being defensive about this? I applaud that guns can be used to protect yourself. I'd get a concealed permit if I could take my gun into national parks where I'm more concerned about drunk rednecks than bears.

If the Chinese were worried about protecting themselves then they'd have built a great big wall. If they wanted to attack people then they would have built something that could fire a projectile.

Hey guess what?...they did

Yup. That's the punchline.

You use a gun to defend yourself, either by actual use or threatened use because it's designed to kill. Done.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The more legal guns there are, the more legal guns are stolen, the more find their way to the criminals. The bigger the supply, the cheaper the guns become, the easier and cheaper they are to acquire for criminals. Keep in mind supply and demand from Eco 101. Less guns, equals less guns stolen, equals less guns on the market, equals higher prices. Guns for criminals become more expensive.[/repely]

Yeah, how's that working with your supply of chronic, hmm? Or anything harder, for that matter.

Legal guns have been known to be part of accidents that have killed or injured people, including kids. Legal guns have been known to escalate situations that could have been simply deal with words. A person is more likely to attempt suicide with a gun in the house. Our society embraces guns, and we have the highest murder rate in the world. It's not just the availability of guns, but the attitude we have about them. We love them, and we die from them (look at USA gun murder rate.)

And legal guns are also used between 400k - 2 million times a year to prevent crime and save lives - I would say the good outweighs the bad.

The higher figure is from Kleck's work and has been pretty well discounted by other criminologists. The US DoJ goes with the lower figure. And it still doesn't prove that the crime wouldn't have been avoided by means other than the threat of deadly force - like using your brain instead.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The higher figure is from Kleck's work and has been pretty well discounted by other criminologists. The US DoJ goes with the lower figure.

Cite for the "pretty well discounted", please... actually, I believe DOJ says that the number is possible, IIRC.

And it still doesn't prove that the crime wouldn't have been avoided by means other than the threat of deadly force - like using your brain instead.

I guess us gun-totin' Neanderthals are jist TOO dum to get outer th'house b4 thet burglar brakes in at 3 am. Any other condescension you'd like to add to the discussion, or do you actually have any STATS for your scenario?

Until then, I refer you back to the FBI stats showing the correlation between means of self-defense and rate of injury.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

do we need to ask the moderator to separate this from the main thread so you can keep up?

wow...you took the words right out of my mouth...i was going to ask you the same thing. This thread is about guns,...not gun powder.

The gun propels the bullet. The powder is the agent that allows for that to happen. You fire a gun (pull a trigger), there is a low explosion, and the bullet is propelled. I love how gun owners always want to get technical. Example a gun doesn’t kill, but propels lead. Yeah ok...and my car doesn’t take me from A to B. I only use it for its for its fuel combustion. Gun owners always forget to add why someone wants to propel the lead. People kill and guns are used to kill. Everything else about guns is secondary.

By the way…you have awesome copy and paste skills. Chicks dig guys with skills.

Edited to add: Guns were designed to be used to kill...gun powder wasnt. We are talking about guns in here. Keep up.

Low explosion eh?

Wow I did not know that gun powder exploded, please tell me more.

Gun powder is a low explosive. Check out these two lnks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_explosive#Low_explosives
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_powder
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

I am not going to read that, I know more about explosives than you will ever learn, and if wiki claims that gunpowder is an explosive, whoever wrote it needs to remove their heads from their asses.

Do you actually know anything about firearms, explosives, or gunpowder?

BTW try and get gunpowder to explode.

Just try it.

We are not talking about blackpowder either.

That is unless you think gangstas are holding people up with a brown bess musket.

Do you know what gunpowder actually is?

I know, why don't you look that up on wiki too.:D

I do not claim o be an expoert in gun powder. But what does that have to do with the gun related death toll in this country?

I will help you out so you will not humilate yourself.

IT BURNS, IT DOES NOT EXPLODE

You have to contrict it in an enclosed space sufficent to build pressure.

That;s what a low explosion is. For someone who claims to be an expert, you should know that. Or are is this just your typical blah blah blah?

Do you know what gunpowder actually is?

I know, why don't you look that up on wiki too.:D

I do not claim o be an expoert in gun powder. But what does that have to do with the gun related death toll in this country?

I don't know but you keep telling me that it explodes, so show me how that happens.

Deflagration is not an explosion.

Noun 1. low explosive - an explosive with a low rate of combustion
explosive - a chemical substance that undergoes a rapid chemical change (with the production of gas) on being heated or struck
firework, pyrotechnic - (usually plural) a device with an explosive that burns at a low rate and with colored flames; can be used to illuminate areas or send signals etc.
high explosive - a powerful chemical explosive that produces gas at a very high rate