Iran to request bids for 19 nuke power plants

http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/line-18/0712231087145045.htm

That's a lot of generating capacity. ~20,000 Mw

Opinions?

-----

Do you believe them?

AFAIK, they have every right to do it as long as they're in compliance with the NNPT.

What if they plan to use Graphite moderated clones of Pu-production designs (Magnox)? Does that violate the NNPT?

If they would consider using state of the art LWR designs, and design contract(s) were awarded to US firms, it would be a good thing for us economically as well as technologically.

It'll be interesting to watch as US A/E and construction firms push for Iran/US relations most conducive to being awarded contracts for engineering/construction, and perhaps supply of fuel.

With their abundant supply of oil, why build 20 GigaWatts worth of nukes? Environmental concerns are an obvious reason for using nukes instead of FF plants, but would that be consistent with their past/current activites? Are they Kyoto signatories?

If Iran were to use US firms, might that lead to better relations between the two nations?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

>If they would consider using state of the art LWR designs, and design
>contract(s) were awarded to US firms, it would be a good thing for us
>economically as well as technologically.

Or better yet, CANDU reactors. Heavy water reactors but no uranium processing required.

With their abundant supply of oil, why build 20 GigaWatts worth of nukes?

They might be building a boatload of windtunnels. In all seriousness, I have no problems with Iran building nuke power plants as long as they abide by the NNPT and are open to inspections. Oil is a finite resource and will run out one day. Look at how the UAE is moving away from an oil based economy to one based on tourism, mainly targeted to the mega wealthy. Secondly, the less oil Iran consumes domestically the more they can sell abroad. With China being a close neighbor and it's appetite for energy growing on par with it's economy it's a no brainer for Iran to look at ways to feed China's energy needs. I would be more worried about Iran setting up a euro based international oil-trading mechanism than anything else.

With their abundant supply of oil, why build 20 GigaWatts worth of nukes?

They might be building a boatload of windtunnels. In all seriousness, I have no problems with Iran building nuke power plants as long as they abide by the NNPT and are open to inspections. Oil is a finite resource and will run out one day. Look at how the UAE is moving away from an oil based economy to one based on tourism, mainly targeted to the mega wealthy. Secondly, the less oil Iran consumes domestically the more they can sell abroad. With China being a close neighbor and it's appetite for energy growing on par with it's economy it's a no brainer for Iran to look at ways to feed China's energy needs. I would be more worried about Iran setting up a euro based international oil-trading mechanism than anything else.

Good points about them conserving oil. Right now it's certainly more economical for them to build oil-to-electricity plants and use their own oil resources, but that won't always be the case. Could be they're just planning for he future.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

If Iran were to use US firms, might that lead to better relations between the two nations?

And if our current administration was not suffering from such a severe cranial-rectal injection, that might well have been an option.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

>I would be more worried about Iran setting up a euro based international
>oil-trading mechanism than anything else.

They've already stopped accepting dollars, and are now trading exclusively in yen and euros.

Why did they stop accepting dollars?

What are the ramifications re: the US?

-NickDG

Or better yet, CANDU reactors. Heavy water reactors but no uranium processing required.

I had to read up on the CANDU, and yes, it makes sense. Of course, Iran has every right to enrich uranium under the NPT. The article below suggests that Iran, with its uranium ore deposits, could produce and sell enriched U to operators of plants worldwide (which they have the right to do), so if enrichment might be done anyway, the CANDU design would be less attractive to them. The article also suggests that Iran already has a heavy water production plant, which might make the CANDU more attractive.

http://www.juancole.com/2006/04/canadian-fix-for-iran-crisis-can-do-or.html

-NickDG

>Why did they stop accepting dollars?

Basically out of protest for our actions in Iraq. They've been working on it for a few years now.

>What are the ramifications re: the US?

Well, one potential result is an increased volatility of US currency, since a change in the exchange rate will no longer affect all oil customers.

>Why did they stop accepting dollars?

Basically out of protest for our actions in Iraq. They've been working on it for a few years now.

>What are the ramifications re: the US?

Well, one potential result is an increased volatility of US currency, since a change in the exchange rate will no longer affect all oil customers.

The US has not imported oil from Iran since 1979, and Iranian oil accounts for only ~5% of the world oil supply (losing that 5% could have a huge effect on prices though), and 10% of OPEC member revenues. What they have done is put pressure on importers of their oil to deal in with them in Euro's or Yen (Nipon Oil) in a effort to avoid US sanctions. Iran now says that "nearly all" of its sales are paid for using non-US currency. Many consider Iran's decision to have little or no impact on the US. If most/all OPEC members were to refuse US currency, it would be a diferent story.

-NickDG

>Many consider Iran's decision to have little or no impact on the US.

Agreed. The primary bourses are still the NYMEX and the International Petroleum Exchange, and the proposed Iranian bourse would account for a small percentage of the world's oil. The danger to the US is that countries might prefer the more stable Euro to the more volatile dollar, and begin to use Euro-based markers. That could become a self-fulfilling prophecy as US purchasing power declines.

Good points about them conserving oil. Right now it's certainly more economical for them to build oil-to-electricity plants and use their own oil resources, but that won't always be the case. Could be they're just planning for he future.

Maybe in Theory. Iran has lots of Oil but it lacks the facilities to process its crude oil in to a usable resource.

There is a gasoline shortage right now in Iran, much like the 70s in the US.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Maybe in Theory. Iran has lots of Oil but it lacks the facilities to process its crude oil in to a usable resource.

There is a gasoline shortage right now in Iran, much like the 70s in the US.

As I understand, the June 07 decision to enforce rationing was also a pre-emptive response to potential sanctions, yes?

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I think it is many things.
Low production as Iran has only one facility capable of taking raw oil and getting petroleum products.
More cars every where, the Chines are going from bikes to cars as there economic strength grows. So more demand.
And my favorite corrupt politicians who rather sell the oil out side of the country for more profit that will never reach the people.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain