shropshire

Bills opposed by NRA signed - By Arnie

The bill doesn't make any sense, because most guns used in crimes are stolen or purchased on the black market, so the microstamp won't lead back to the right person.

So, if a gun is reported as being stolen it won't help exonerate the legal owner?

When you shoot at a public range, any brass that falls past a line (or in some cases they try to get all of it) becomes the property of the range who resells the metal.

A gun doesn't have to be reported stolen for it to become the prime suspect at a crime scene.

And when you drive a rental car you leave fingerprints all over it too. Doesn't mean that if the next guy uses it in a crime you automatically go to jail. It just gives the police another clue in the case, I seriously doubt it will ever be the only piece of evidence that is used to convict somebody, but it certainly does give the police another tool.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's just another step for law abiding gun owners to go through.

Step? What step do the "law abiding gun owners have to go through"? It's not like you have to have existing guns retrofitted.

that's how they get it through now. It happens in 3 years, if technology is for sale.

But let's look at the history. 5 years ago CA demanded that all handguns get some sort of drop testing done at a non inconsiderable expense. A couple years later the requirement came for chamber loaded indicators (ignoring the fact that they are less reliable than proper gun handling) and magazine disconnects that hopefully prevent firing of the round in the chamber. Now they need to implement a mythical technology with no legal utility and a single provider looking to profit. And of course as soon as one claims to have viable smart gun technology, that will be required.

There's no doubt that the intent of this is to make it unprofitable to sell in the state. Most of these standards should be national ones. I've got guns that aren't available for sale anymore.

That's an important feature of this bill - guns without stamping will not be transferrable. Nice seizure of assets.

Yeah, Quade, I know you like this bill. But hardly for the reasons claimed.

And when you drive a rental car you leave fingerprints all over it too. Doesn't mean that if the next guy uses it in a crime you automatically go to jail. It just gives the police another clue in the case, I seriously doubt it will ever be the only piece of evidence that is used to convict somebody, but it certainly does give the police another tool.

right, and won't it be great when they use that tool to break down the door of the wrong place and someone dies as a result.

ballistic bullet matching has been a tool for a long time too. How often does it contribute anything? (Maryland's gimmick was to require a test fire and a saved round from every new gun sold)

I feel inspired - I think I'm going to go buy a big fucking gun now in Quade's honor. What offers the best killing potential? Can't be a .50, Arnold banned those too.

What offers the best killing potential? Can't be a .50, Arnold banned those too.
I think 9mm would be the most readily available ammo. Seems like every cop, thug, gang banger, old lady, has that piece. 50 ammo might be hard to find, also expensive. A well placed shot from a 9mm can kill regardless of the state your in, and you won't need earplugs! :)

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

A well placed shot from a 9mm can kill regardless of the state your in, and you won't need earplugs! :)

But, but, but . . . guns don't kill people. ;)

no..... marmosets kill people. That's why we need to be able to trace them.:S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

What offers the best killing potential? Can't be a .50, Arnold banned those too.
I think 9mm would be the most readily available ammo. Seems like every cop, thug, gang banger, old lady, has that piece. 50 ammo might be hard to find, also expensive. A well placed shot from a 9mm can kill regardless of the state your in, and you won't need earplugs! :)

I meant in long rifle form. I refuse to get another version of the BFSC, and I already have 2 9s, a .40, a .45, a 357sig, and a .22.

I think I need a sniper rifle. With a bayonet mount, of course.