Butters

Navy and Swastika

Before it was a symbol of the nazis it has been a religious symbol from (India?) asia...spanning thousands of years.

I have no issue with the Navy changing it now, I do think they should have done something in 1967.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

given the history of the symbol and the lack of intent with the design of those buildings...I think it's a huge waste of $800,000 just because internet browsing people the planet over are offended.
what a waste of money...and given typical military quotes...it will be over a mil when it's finished.
just put some damn aluminum roof-overs all the way around and make it look like most of the navy barracks already!
geez people...

given the history of the symbol and the lack of intent with the design of those buildings...I think it's a huge waste of $800,000 just because internet browsing people the planet over are offended.
what a waste of money...and given typical military quotes...it will be over a mil when it's finished.
just put some damn aluminum roof-overs all the way around and make it look like most of the navy barracks already!
geez people...

Exactly, this building looks like a swastika, that bollard looks like a penis, that rock formation looks like a breast, that tunnel looks like my ex wife, etc.

When will people stop being offended by things in their own imaginations?

>just put some damn aluminum roof-overs all the way around and make
>it look like most of the navy barracks already!

Put an annular cover over the whole thing and cover it with solar-PV. The 'sensitive types' will not be offended, A/C costs will go down (more shade) and the building's electric bills will drop to near zero! Everyone wins.

I have an idea that that 600,000 was going to the barracks anyways as there was a shortage and there's major construction going around naval bases here. They'll probably add a wing by closing up one arm and make an enclosed patio. That money was probably released for some improvements already and was given to that building as a minor decider.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

When will people stop being offended by things in their own imaginations?

On the twelve of Never.
Did you see the penis in Lil' Mermaid? Or "Sex" in Lion King? Or hear the Judas Priest suicide message? Or all the hidden Beatles messages?
So long as there are people, there will be imagined conspiracies of one kind or another.
The letters "NYC" (New York City), when viewed in "Webdings" font, forms characters reading "I Love New York". When viewed in "Wingdings" font, it reads "Killing Jews is Good".
Conspiracy?

Before it was a symbol of the nazis it has been a religious symbol from (India?) asia...spanning thousands of years.

I have no issue with the Navy changing it now, I do think they should have done something in 1967.

I wonder how it got past the design stage without anyone noticing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I wonder how it got past the design stage without anyone noticing.

According to the article, they realized it during the completion of the design phase, but noted that most people won't notice it because they won't be seeing it from the air.

Now, thanks to all the overhead imagery...
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!