Thanatos340

Jena Six?

I don’t understand the Hub-ub on this. I don’t know the full story but have been trying to find out why they problem. Can someone explain what the problem there is?

Six Kids jumped one Kid and Beat him. They got arrested. Why the Fuss?

The Noose and Tree thing seem to be pretty irrelevant as the Kid that was beaten had nothing to do with that incident and even if he did, He should be arrested and charged with a Hate crime but that does not in any way justify Six other Kids Jumping him and beating him unconscious.

What am I missing here?

It seems that blacks in the USA love defending the violent crimes of other blacks. 6 blacks beating 1 white seems like a hate crime to me. (the hate crime designation needs to go away)

Anytime a group of 6 beats 1, you can be pretty sure they hate him.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I'm sure there are plenty of objective stories about this on the net. Look around.

From what I know. Some nooses were hung from a tree on school property. This was clearly done in response to some racial tensions. The "pranksters" were expelled, but the superintendent of schools reduced the penalty to a short suspension... then the school got torched... not sure about the extent of the damage... a few days later a black student tried to enter an all-white party. He got beat up - including getting beaten with beer bottles. The assailant(s) got probation. The next week at school, one of the assailants (who was also a party to the noose incident) started talking trash to the black guy who was beaten up. The black guy and five of his friends kicked the white guys ass.

Here's where it gets interesting. The six black guys get arrested and charged with assault. At least one of them is charged and prosecuted for attempted murder!

So what we have here is a blatant display of bigotry, followed by assault, which results in a slap on the wrist. One of the culprits starts another fight... gets beat up... and these assailants are charged with attempted murder.

Justice is blind, eh?

I despise segregation (And it is still VERY much alive here in the south).

The Kids that Hung the Nooses should be Arrested and serve some jail time for that.

But nothing to me justifies Six Kids Beating one other Kid. The fact that Kid they beat was not even involved in the Noose thing really make it worse. Those Six should be in jail for what they did. Race should not be a factor at all here. Six Kids Jumped and beat one Kid. Six Kids should be held accountable for their Actions.

Actions have Consequences.

With all the marches and Grand Standing, I just figured I had to be missing something here.

From what I know. Some nooses were hung from a tree on school property. This was clearly done in response to some racial tensions. The "pranksters" were expelled, but the superintendent of schools reduced the penalty to a short suspension... then the school got torched... not sure about the extent of the damage... a few days later a black student tried to enter an all-white party. He got beat up - including getting beaten with beer bottles. The assailant(s) got probation. The next week at school, one of the assailants (who was also a party to the noose incident) started talking trash to the black guy who was beaten up. The black guy and five of his friends kicked the white guys ass.

Thanks.. That is what I was looking for. I knew there had to be more to this.

Sounds like they ALL should be in jail.
They should go back and prosecute the Kids exactly the same way they Prosecuted the Black Kids.

That doesn’t mean they should drop the charges against ANYONE.

Maybe they should settle it like they did in the movie "The Insiders" - a no weapons rumble.

Seriously though, the protests and everything else will not change the mid of racists in Jena, on either side. And I'm not sure that hating another race should be grounds for jail. Actual physical aggression or threats should be, of course.

Actual physical aggression or threats should be, of course.

Nooses, Burning Crosses, Swastikas and other such things are Aggression in my mind. These things go well beyond Free speech and/or Expression.

Not to the same level as Mob Beatings, But they are a crime and should be prosecuted.

Nooses, Burning Crosses, Swastikas and other such things are Aggression in my mind. These things go well beyond Free speech and/or Expression.

I would have figured this considering your view on tasering the loudmouth at UFL. I disagree though. The Nazis and the Clan are still allowed to march and display their insignia(swastika) and burn crosses. They are twisted, but their rights are protected under the constitution.

Don't believe me? If you want I'll let you know when the next clan march is and you can come over and heckle the rednecks if you want. There is usually one once a year, so it shouldn't be long now.

Maybe they should settle it like they did in the movie "The Insiders" - a no weapons rumble.

Or Westside Story - they can have a Dance-Off

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The Kids that Hung the Nooses should be Arrested and serve some jail time for that.

How is hanging a noose in a tree an actual crime?
Did anyone confess to the 'crime'?

Maybe the blacks did it in order to instigate a situation.

The charges on the Jena 6 were reduced..

"Five of the black teens were initially charged with attempted murder, but that charge was reduced to battery for all but one, who has yet to be arraigned; the sixth was charged as a juvenile."

If you walk, just walk. If you sit, just sit. But whatever you do, don't wobble.
- Master Ummon

How is hanging a noose in a tree an actual crime?
Did anyone confess to the 'crime'?

Maybe the blacks did it in order to instigate a situation.

About the noose, do you think threatening someone, either individually or as a group, is a crime?
As for your crack about "the blacks" doing it, what do you think the white students were (initially) expelled for?
Oh I get it, the superintendent must have been "a black" and in on the conspiracy too! :S

No wonder this shit is still happening every day...

Vale

Not to the same level as Mob Beatings, But they are a crime and should be prosecuted.

It's a lot of work living in a "free" country. I would say that they should have limited themselves to doing this on their OWN property. At that point, no one can stop them from doing whatever they want. Infringement on public property gets into the grey area of protected speech / expression.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I disagree though.

That is a HUGE relief. When I first saw that we might be on the same side on this, I was really starting to question my logic on this one.:P

If you want I'll let you know when the next clan march is and you can come over and heckle the rednecks if you want.

Been there, Done that. Have the Criminal record to prove it!:|
Throwing Bricks at Nazi Skin Heads Marching through my hometown was definitely not covered under Freedom of Expression much to my dismay. (But it sure was Fun). I broke the law, I paid my time. I would probably do it again.

Yes, the Clan can have their rally’s and Burn Crosses on their own property. Protected under Free Speech. But if they go to a Black Church, A Residents House they do not feel "belongs" or any other public place and Burn a Cross.. That is a Hate Crime and should be Punished. That is NOT covered under Free Speech. Same for painting a Swastika on Someone’s Door or Hanging a Noose in their Front Yard.

The Kids that Hung a Noose from a Tree on School property were committing a Crime and should have been held accountable.

I disagree though.

That is a HUGE relief. When I first saw that we might be on the same side on this, I was really starting to question my logic on this one.:P

If you want I'll let you know when the next clan march is and you can come over and heckle the rednecks if you want.

Been there, Done that. Have the Criminal record to prove it!:|
Throwing Bricks at Nazi Skin Heads Marching through my hometown was definitely not covered under Freedom of Expression much to my dismay. (But it sure was Fun). I broke the law, I paid my time. I would probably do it again.

Yes, the Clan can have their rally’s and Burn Crosses on their own property. Protected under Free Speech. But if they go to a Black Church, A Residents House they do not feel "belongs" or any other public place and Burn a Cross.. That is a Hate Crime and should be Punished. That is NOT covered under Free Speech. Same for painting a Swastika on Someone’s Door or Hanging a Noose in their Front Yard.

Absolutely a crime, yes.

The Kids that Hung a Noose from a Tree on School property were committing a Crime and should have been held accountable.

What crime? Intimidation or threats? Maybe vandalism? Probably right, and they should be punished. At the same time, a severe beating is a more serious crime than a thinly veiled/racist threat.

Intimidation. The same act would have different meanings to different people.

Burn a cross in my front yard.. Would not bother me too much. I am as white bred as you get. I would just be scratching my head think why did they waste all that perfectly good fire wood.

Do the same thing to a Back Family, and you are bordering on Terroristic Threats. With the history of that symbol and the actions behind it over the years, that family would have good reason to live in Fear. It is intimidation of the worst type.

Same for the Nooses. With the history of small town Mobs Hanging any Black man (or woman in some cases) that dared stand against the white establishment in the Deep South.. A clear message of Hatred and Intimidation was being sent.

What crime? Intimidation or threats?

Both are Implied by that action.

The Noose around here (The entire South actually) is a very close second to Burning a Cross. It carries the same message with the same intent. Scare the Blacks into complying, It is a Reminder of how things used to be (and sometimes still are).

You agree that burning a Cross on someone’s Front lawn is a Crime?
The nooses in the Tree of the Front lawn of the School is not much different. The message is the same.

At the same time, a severe beating is a more serious crime than a thinly veiled/racist threat.

I completely agree (Even though I disagree that the threat was Thinly Veiled. The Threat was crystal Clear. Keep making trouble and we will hang your ass)

Still the Beating was a much worse crime. I don’t think for one second that the "Jenna Six" should be freed or have charges dropped. I do think the Kids that put up the nooses should have faced criminal charges for their actions too though.

Prior to the nooses being hung and as an addendum to your post... There's a tree that white students apparently hang out under on the school property. A black student asked the principal if it was okay for black students to hang out under the same tree. He was told it was fine. The following day, three nooses in the school colors were hung from the tree. In protest, black students sat silently under the tree after which the district attorney came to the school and said "I can make all your lives disappear with the stroke of a pen" and they should stop making trouble.

Given the history and symbolism of a hanging noose in the US, it's obvious what the message was.

As far as your theory about the black students doing it themselves... "Here's what they think about you."

The notion is just stupid.

Can you say"Duke rape case?" A total set up by a black woman accusing 'rich, selfish, white athletes' of rape, soley for the purpose of financial gain.

Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton were all over it because they saw the potential of money coming their way.

In my day, the threats were much clearer and more direct. We didn't put nooses in trees or anything else. It was "I'm gonna kick your ass" followed by a fight, or maybe nothing. It sounds to me like the nooses were meant as a huge insult because the kids who didn't want to lose their chill spot were too much pussies to do it another way. Maybe it's more of a territory/gang thing than a race thing.