Saluting Flag While Not in Uniform to Be Authorized (StratPage)

how fucking silly can these idiots get...

A civilian (aka retired/former service member) can render respect (or fail to) in any manner they choose. We sure as hell didnt need to waste tax money or legislative time to make a 'law' stating so...

>:(

We do not live in a particularly polite society. I see its products (18 year old college students) on a daily basis.

And why is that? Could it be because no one has taught them the meaning of decorum and protocol? They've been taught that degrading and demeaning those in authority and the symbols representing that authority is the hip thing to do.

And why is that? Could it be because no one has taught them the meaning of decorum and protocol? They've been taught that degrading and demeaning those in authority and the symbols representing that authority is the hip thing to do.

You mean like teaching their children that service to their country is below THEIR station in life???

a bit of deference is more appreciated than the normal routine of lying to their constituency and lining their pockets.

and even more likely they did all three at the same time here?...

Maybe the Flag Manufacturers' Association of America (FMAA) has them in their back pockets.
I'm not sure but, they might be evil.;)
http://www.fmaa-usa.com/about/profile_mission.php
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

We do not live in a particularly polite society. I see its products (18 year old college students) on a daily basis.

And this law will change that HOW?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So congress has actually made you happy about them doing nothing, because normally, what they would be doing is bad?

Pretty much. It's the same reason that in the last Presidential election, I hoped that regardless of who won the Presidency, the opposing party won control of Congress.

Blues,
Dave

Sometimes (in a general sense) I think it's too bad they didn't cut off the First at "Congress shall make no law".....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So congress has actually made you happy about them doing nothing, because normally, what they would be doing is bad?

Pretty much. It's the same reason that in the last Presidential election, I hoped that regardless of who won the Presidency, the opposing party won control of Congress.

Blues,
Dave

Sometimes (in a general sense) I think it's too bad they didn't cut off the First at "Congress shall make no law".....

:D

Wouldn't you support a law saying that it's legal to make apple pie and attend baseball games? Are you anti-American?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i think saluting in any form is okay as long as it is done by respectable manner, (meaning no middle finger, no mooning)..
but what piss me off is when i see ragged up flag (flag full of stain, bird shit, ripped, faded out) on someone's house, gov't building, ect...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

"Illegal" was a poor choice of words. Letting a flag touch the ground isn't "illegal", but you'll still see many veterans offended by it. Color related conventions are generally regarded as compulsory by veterans, and formal permission to salute while not in uniform distinguishes those who have signed on the dotted line and offered up their lives in service to the concepts for which our standard flies.

Blues,
Dave

Nicely put!

And here I thought this thread was going to drop out of sight right away.

I live on an Army camp, and being a veteran, I always feel awkward when retreat sounds. We civilians normally just stand still and face the flag, but it would be cool to know that it's acceptable to render proper honors. B|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

i think saluting while wearing civies are stupid.. it just looks dumb..

and if are going to salute do it right, i see shit load of ppl, especially amongst officers, fire fighters, and cops giving out fucked up salute.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

"Illegal" was a poor choice of words. Letting a flag touch the ground isn't "illegal", but you'll still see many veterans offended by it. Color related conventions are generally regarded as compulsory by veterans, and formal permission to salute while not in uniform distinguishes those who have signed on the dotted line and offered up their lives in service to the concepts for which our standard flies.

Blues,
Dave

Nicely put!

And here I thought this thread was going to drop out of sight right away.

I live on an Army camp, and being a veteran, I always feel awkward when retreat sounds. We civilians normally just stand still and face the flag, but it would be cool to know that it's acceptable to render proper honors. B|

mh

I suspect what you are really saying is you want more recognition for your service.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

and if are going to salute do it right, i see shit load of ppl, especially amongst officers, fire fighters, and cops giving out fucked up salute.

right? by what standard? there are hundreds of salutes.. even more if you include those under arms.. I know some 30 variations of sabre salutes that were all 'regulation' at one point...

other than active duty members there are no restrictions on the manner of salute. Active Duty have no choices, everyone else can use whatever means they feel appropriate.

I suspect what you are really saying is you want more recognition for your service.

And I suspect that you simply don't get it. [:/]

mh

right? by what standard? there are hundreds of salutes.. even more if you include those under arms.. I know some 30 variations of sabre salutes that were all 'regulation' at one point...

other than active duty members there are no restrictions on the manner of salute. Active Duty have no choices, everyone else can use whatever means they feel appropriate.

Civilians who salute should do it properly, or not bother.

I see some GIs over here with sloppy salutes from time to time. It happens.

mh

I live on an Army camp, and being a veteran, I always feel awkward when retreat sounds. We civilians normally just stand still and face the flag, but it would be cool to know that it's acceptable to render proper honors.

Ex Navy here. I worked for a general contractor and spent a lot of time at NAS Jax. When colors were raised in the morning I would face in the direction of the flag and come to attention. Some people just don't get it.

Have you ever watched a military movie and wondered,' Who the hell taught those people to salute?' Hand bent, striking somewhere on the forehead, arm flopping around. Yea, right!

Civilians who salute should do it properly, or not bother.

Proper? what is 'proper' for active duty has absolutely no bearing on any civilian.

see below.. two very different yet 'proper' salutes... care to explain why the differences 'should' matter at all to a civilian??

Have you ever watched a military movie and wondered,' Who the hell taught those people to salute?' Hand bent, striking somewhere on the forehead, arm flopping around. Yea, right!

no, being a movie I dont really care.. they are actors... most of them stand around in groups with gunbarrels pointing at each other too...[:/]

Proper? what is 'proper' for active duty has absolutely no bearing on any civilian.

Obviously you'll need the government to establish a new department to design, implement and maintain proper salutes. Salutes in plural, cause different circumstances will require different salutes and we all need to know what is proper in every circumstance.

Or the John Wayne way of doing it.. the dip of the head and shoulder and kind of a wave off:ph34r:

mh

Dude. Salute/don't salute. Since it has no significance to anyone but you, it really is all about ...you. :)
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

mh

Dude. Salute/don't salute. Since it has no significance to anyone but you, it really is all about ...you. :)

heh. :S

mh