Part 3 in a series on the
History of Cannabis and
Human Consciousness

THEN GOD SAID, I GIVE YOU EVERY SEED-BEARING
PLANT ON THE FACE OF THE WHOLE
EARTH, AND EVERY TREE THAT
HAS FRUIT IN IT."
GENESIS 1:29-30

Those words seem straightforward enough, and yet cannabis and most other psychoactive medicine plants are outlawed in our society. Those who use these plant gat eways to other states of consciousness are jailed for doing so.

Ironically, the major force for continuing this plant prohibition is a group referred to as the Christian Right. They claim to believe in both the Bible and old Yahweh, yet Yahweh's opinion on the matter is stated quite clearly in the above quotation.

This article shows how the Old Testament Prophets were none other than ancient shamans, and that cannabis and other entheogens played a very prominent role in ancient Hebrew culture.

THE ROOTS OF KANEH-BOSM

The first solid evidence of the Hebrew use of cannabis was established in 1936 by Sula Benet, a little known Polish etymologist from the Institute of Anthropological Sciences in Warsaw (1).

The word cannabis was generally thought to be of Scythian origin, but Benet showed that it has a much earlier origin in Semitic languages like Hebrew, and that it appears several times throughout the Old Testament. Benet explained that "in the original Hebrew text of the Old Testament there are references to hemp, both as incense, which was an integral part of religious celebration, and as an intoxicant (2)."

Benet demonstrated that the word for cannabis is kaneh-bosm, also rendered in traditional Hebrew as kaneh or kannabus. The root kan in this construction means "reed" or "hemp", while bosm means "aromatic". This word appears five times in the Old Testament; in the books of Exodus, the Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel.

The word kaneh-bosm has been mistranslated as calamus, a common marsh plant with little monetary value that does not have the qualities or value ascribed to kaneh-bosm. The error occurred in the oldest Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible, the Septuagint in the third century BC, and was repeated in the many translations that followed (3).

THE HIDDEN STORY

When we take a chronological look at biblical references to kaneh-bosm, we reveal more than just the story of cannabis in the Old Testament. Another exciting and concealed story emerges as well, that of the suppression of the worship of Astarte, also called Ashera, known t o the ancient Semites as the Queen of Heaven.

The First Reference
to Kaneh-Bosm

MOSES & MARIJUANA

The first mention of kaneh-bosm in the Old Testament appears with the prophet-shaman Moses. At the beginning of his shamanic career, Moses discovered the angel of the Lord in flames of fire from within a bush.

It is later in his life however, that a definite reference to cannabis is made. Sula Benet explains this reference as follows:

The sacred character of hemp in biblical times is evident from Exodus 30:22-33, where Moses was instructed by God to anoint the meeting tent and all its furnishings with specially prepared oil, containing hemp.

Anointing set sacred things apart from secular. The anointment of sacred objects was an ancient tradition in Israel: holy oil was not to be used for secular purposes...

Above all, the anointing oil was used for the installation rites of all Hebrew kings and priests.

This first reference to kaneh-bosm is the only that describes it as an ointment to be applied externally. However, anointing oils made with cannabis are indeed psychoactive and have been used by such seemingly diverse groups as 19th century occultists and medieval witches (4).

Closer to Moses' own time, cannabis was used as a topical hallucinogen by the ancient worshippers of Asherah, the Queen of Heaven. Asherah has also been referred to as the Hebrew Goddess (5).

The shamanistic Ashera priestesses of pre-reformation Jerusalem mixed cannabis resins with those from myrrh, balsam, frankincense, and perfumes, and then anointed their skins with the mixture as well as burned it (6).

THEN THE LORD SAID TO MOSES, "TAKE THE FOLLOWING FINE SPICES: 500 SHEKELS OF LIQUID MYRRH, HALF AS MUCH OF FRAGRANT CINNAMON, 250 SHEKELS OF KANNABOSM, 500 SHEKELS OF CASSIA - ALL ACCORDING TO THE SANCTUARY SHEKEL - AND A HIND OF OLIVE OIL. MAKE THESE INTO MAKE THESE INTO A SACRED ANNOITING OIL, A FRAGRANT BLEND, THE WORK OF A PERFUMER. IT WILL BE THE SACRED ANNOITING OIL.

THEN USE IT TO ANOINT THE TENT OF THE MEETING, THE ARK OF THE TESTIMONY, THE TABLE AND ALL ITS ARTICLES, THE LAMPSTAND AND ITS ACCESSORIES, THE ALTAR OF INCENSE, THE ALTAR OF BURNT OFFERING AND ALL ITS UTENSILS, AND THE BASIN WITH ITS STAND. YOU SHALL CONSECRATE THEM SO THEY WILL BE MOST HOLY, AND WHATEVER TOUCHES THEM WILL BE HOLY.

ANOINT AARON AND HIS SONS AND CONSECRATE THEM SO THEY MAY SERVE ME AS PREISTS. SAY TO THE ISRAELITES, "THIS IS TO BE MY SACRED ANOINTING OIL FOR THE GENERATIONS TO COME. DO NOT POUR IT ON MEN'S BODIES AND DO NOT MAKE ANY OIL WITH THE SAME FORMULA. IT IS SACRED, AND YOU ARE TO CONSIDER IT SACRED. WHOEVER MAKES PERFUME LIKE IT AND WHOEVER PUTS IT ON ANYONE OTHER THAN A PREIST MUST BE CUT OFF FROM HIS PEOPLE."

EXODUS 30:22-33

This article taken from:

CANNABIS CULTURE MAGAZINE
www.cannabisculture.com
307 West Hastings Street Vancouver BC
V6B 1H6 Canada

Who cares, stoner?

P.S. Let me know your address next time you spark up. I'll call the police to bust your stupid ass.

I don't know that I agree with the conclusions StickyFinga's draws, but I'm not sure that everyone who smokes weed is a stoner, either.
Marijuana is far less responsible for irresponsible acts in society than alcohol, and alcohol doesn't bear any value in any religious society I'm aware of, while marijuana and peyote do.

Marijuana is far less responsible for irresponsible acts in society than alcohol, and alcohol doesn't bear any value in any religious society I'm aware of, while marijuana and peyote do.

Really??? I kind of thought it was a fundamental part of communion! :o
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Oops...I guess I separate wine from alcohol, although I have no coherent reason for doing so.
Please forgive, I live in Mormon country where they use water instead of wine.:$ That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Same with wine on Shabbat, too...
Like I said, wine isn't part of my religious lexicon, it seems to sit differently than "alcohol" in my mind.

yup...if Mitt Romney wins the election, this guy is the next President of the USA.
Scary thought, huh?
They rely heavily on the old testament, almost as much as on the Book of Mormon.
Can you imagine our President wearing [url "http://www.truechristian.com/img/garment.jpg] this stuff[/url[\] under his clothing?
Scary thought, especially when you learn what the symbols mean.

Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOSES & MARIJUANA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's why moses was lost in the desert for 40 years. :DHow do we explain all of the other crazy things that he saw? Peyote?;)

Who cares, stoner?

P.S. Let me know your address next time you spark up. I'll call the police to bust your stupid ass.

Why do you give a flying fuck if the dude uses marijuana?

It's far better for society than going out and getting drunk.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

yup...if Mitt Romney wins the election, this guy is the next President of the USA.
Scary thought, huh?
They rely heavily on the old testament, almost as much as on the Book of Mormon.
Can you imagine our President wearing [url "http://www.truechristian.com/img/garment.jpg] this stuff[/url[\] under his clothing?
Scary thought, especially when you learn what the symbols mean.

In 1960, bigots contended that if Jack Kennedy, who was Catholic, was elected, the White House would be under the control of the Vatican. They attacked the symbolisms of his religion, too.
They were stupid thoughts back then, too.

You're welcome to think them "stupid thoughts."
Catholicism doesn't require unquestioned loyalty to the Pope, Catholics don't have Articles of Faith that require them to put church ahead of country, and Catholics don't have a revelation going back in history that the Mormon Church would one day lead this country.
Perhaps learn more about the subject matter before attacking one viewpoint on it?

Who cares, stoner?

May I direct your attention back to...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2778868#2778868
Any plans to report her in the near future?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

You're welcome to think them "stupid thoughts."
Catholicism doesn't require unquestioned loyalty to the Pope, Catholics don't have Articles of Faith that require them to put church ahead of country, and Catholics don't have a revelation going back in history that the Mormon Church would one day lead this country.
Perhaps learn more about the subject matter before attacking one viewpoint on it?

Bigotry is bigotry, no matter how it's rationalized.