quade

Two Boobs in Idaho

See, and I thought it was quite tastefully done.

Visually conflating self-proclaimed stupid or foolish people with women's body parts is tasteful?

Homonyms cause enough trouble without making a big deal out of them. And when you've got one with a strongly negative connotation paired with one that's a highly meaningful symbol of a sensitive group, that's a recipe for tasteless in my book.

But, do people have a "right", in public, to ONLY be exposed to images they find tasteful or inoffensive?

I don't think so, because that's purely subjective at this level. There is absolutely nothing you can point at in that billboard and say that it doesn't meet with even the strictest decency standards in the U.S.

Now, you've made a great argument about wanting billboard free view, but that has nothing to do with this case whatsoever. The argument isn't about being billboard free, but the messages contained on the billboards and again, at this level, it's completely subjective.

If it were a billboard for a "Gentleman's Club" and featured a photo of a stripper in a bikini hugging a stripper pole AND that billboard was within eye sight of an elementary school playground, I'd still argue in favor of free speech over "decency" as long as the stripper was, in fact, wearing what any person could wear without getting arrested for being nude in public.

Your "audible billboard" analogy fails because that actually would invade private spaces, whereas a normal billboard can, in fact, be "turned off" simply by looking away from it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

These women's kids have yet to see plenty of distasteful images in their life. Sheltering a child from what you think is "harmful" or negative will do them more harm than good. Why should one child have to live life with a debilitating disease or an abusive parent while the kid next door is throwing a fit because he's not allowed to have an ice cream cone? If you ask me, opening your kids eyes up to the world will allow them to better cope when something actually does happen to them. If these kids aren't even allowed to see a billboard, they're going to be in for a shock when the shit really hits the fan!
I tried to get a grip on reality, but it moved.

But, do people have a "right", in public, to ONLY be exposed to images they find tasteful or inoffensive?

That's an interesting question. People certainly can have an interest in not being exposed to things they don't like. Can that be called a "right"?

People have strong views that "rights" are real objective things that we discover in the universe and protect. In fact the notion is a very human construct and the borders of the definition ebb and flow most unnervingly.

Just when you think you got a handle on it, someone jumps in and invents a new right or disparages an old one.

The basic problem is we're enumerating piecemeal rights instead of deciding on a philosophical model.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Supreme court cases offer some guidance here.

I don't remember the case, but a guy had been convicted of a crime based on a jacket he wore while on courthouse steps. The jacket had "fuck the draft" written on it.

The supreme court threw out the conviction because the guy hadn't said anything, only worn the jacket. Their logic was that you can't avoid hearing offensive statements in your vicinity, but you can always just look away from offensive written language.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Their logic was that you can't avoid hearing offensive statements in your vicinity, but you can always just look away from offensive written language.

I'm reminded of the closing scene of the movie Brazil when we see the hero driving down a highway lined with billboards one attached to the next, forming solid walls of advertisements on both sides of the road for mile after mile.....

How exactly does one look away? Oh... I guess you can always look down. Hmm, no, they're plastering ads on the sidewalks now.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I'm reminded of the closing scene of the movie Brazil when we see the hero driving down a highway lined with billboards one attached to the next, forming solid walls of advertisements on both sides of the road for mile after mile.....

Y'know that the actual closing scene of Brazil is when the 'hero' has gone insane under interrogation from his friend, right?

Or did you just see the plastic American studio version:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

"it's also attracting the attention of kids"
Yeah, the kids go: "Look a normal female body... My mom is so fat i didn't know women had curves"

How come, always when it comes to these things it's obese women who complain? Personally I think it's psychology - You see something in yourself you don't like, think you can't change it(or are to lazy to) and then you suddenly despise it.

Their logic was that you can't avoid hearing offensive statements in your vicinity, but you can always just look away from offensive written language.

How exactly does one look away? Oh... I guess you can always look down. Hmm, no, they're plastering ads on the sidewalks now.

No point in getting so irritated at the fact that the world doesn't conform to your exact desires. I don't like huge gas guzzling SUVs, but I don't let it gnaw at me when I am on the road. I don't like the proliferation of billboards much either, but we've all gotta make a living... I'm studying to be an attorney. Most people hate attorneys...but I really don't care.

No point in lamenting that the world isn't exactly how you want it...

Smile, have a beer, enjoy life.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.