bob.dino

"America's War on Tourists"

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10436518

From the article:

In a recent poll of international travellers, commissioned by Discover America Partnership, a coalition of US tourist organisations, 70 per cent of respondents said they feared US officials more than terrorists or criminals.

Fair comment? I know I've been more wary about visiting the USA in the last couple of years than before. That said, the last time I entered the USA through LAX I had absolutely no issues. It may help that I'm tall, white, Irish, and have a nice smile.

Anyone else have comments or viewpoints?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/2/story.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10436518

From the article:

In a recent poll of international travellers, commissioned by Discover America Partnership, a coalition of US tourist organisations, 70 per cent of respondents said they feared US officials more than terrorists or criminals.

Fair comment? I know I've been more wary about visiting the USA in the last couple of years than before. That said, the last time I entered the USA through LAX I had absolutely no issues. It may help that I'm tall, white, Irish, and have a nice smile.

Anyone else have comments or viewpoints?

They probably think you're IRA.:o

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I decided to begin this last winter in Eloy. I entered the US at the Vancouver International Airport Port of Entry. The Border guard was a bit skeptical of my one way ticket but when I told him my plans he shrugged his shoulders and said OK. I was just another snowbird, albeit a bit younger than usual. I bought a two way ticket Phoenix-Montreal-Phoenix over Christmas. On the return trip my flight was routed through Denver. This flight was canceled due to weather. So I got a flight to Toronto and then a Non-stop to Phoenix. The problem was that now I had a one way flight.
When I tried to clear US customs at Port of Entry Toronto it was,
"Do you have a paper copy of your itinerary?"
Well I do but because my flight was canceled it doesn't include this flight.
"WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE A RETURN TICKET!!!?"
Well I do, This is the return ticket of my flight.
"GO TO THE WHITE ROOM OF UNREASONABLE PEOPLE"
After that it got more unreasonable. I did eventually get in, but with a card to prove when I left.
Since I know (as we all do) that some Canadians do enter the US for the purpose of working illegally i do not disagree with them questioning me, but the level of rudeness was quite unsettling. Those who saw me will attest that I arrived at the DZ very upset.
Later we found out that another of us (non working Eloy snowbirds) had been refused entry after visiting family over Christmas.
A couple of weeks late an instructor of mine and his girlfriend reported a similar experience.
As a Canadian the border has definitely become a more onerous barrier. Whether to go to Lost Prairie or Kamloops in May or the big Lost Prairie boogie or Abbotsford in August has definitely taken on a new dimension.

I decided to begin this last winter in Eloy. I entered the US at the Vancouver International Airport Port of Entry. The Border guard was a bit skeptical of my one way ticket but when I told him my plans he shrugged his shoulders and said OK. I was just another snowbird, albeit a bit younger than usual. I bought a two way ticket Phoenix-Montreal-Phoenix over Christmas. On the return trip my flight was routed through Denver. This flight was canceled due to weather. So I got a flight to Toronto and then a Non-stop to Phoenix. The problem was that now I had a one way flight.
When I tried to clear US customs at Port of Entry Toronto it was,
"Do you have a paper copy of your itinerary?"
Well I do but because my flight was canceled it doesn't include this flight.
"WHY DO YOU NOT HAVE A RETURN TICKET!!!?"
Well I do, This is the return ticket of my flight.
"GO TO THE WHITE ROOM OF UNREASONABLE PEOPLE"
After that it got more unreasonable. I did eventually get in, but with a card to prove when I left.
Since I know (as we all do) that some Canadians do enter the US for the purpose of working illegally i do not disagree with them questioning me, but the level of rudeness was quite unsettling. Those who saw me will attest that I arrived at the DZ very upset.
Later we found out that another of us (non working Eloy snowbirds) had been refused entry after visiting family over Christmas.
A couple of weeks late an instructor of mine and his girlfriend reported a similar experience.
As a Canadian the border has definitely become a more onerous barrier. Whether to go to Lost Prairie or Kamloops in May or the big Lost Prairie boogie or Abbotsford in August has definitely taken on a new dimension.

Mabe you need to start sneaking in w/ $6000 a lb. Candian hydroponic pot. Those guys don't seem to have much of a problem.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.