Gawain

A Shareholder's Perspective about ExxonMobil

I'm not looking to cause groans from the supposed disenfranchised, simply offering perspective.

I just got my proxy statement and annual report.

The company is doing very well as you know. So well, that the perception could be that the execs there are netting hundreds of millions of dollars per year in salary, stocks, other benefits.

I didn't know a lot about their executive structure or compensation plan, but it was explained in detail in the proxy statement.

How much should the CEO of a $377 Billion company make?

CEO R. Tillerson had a salary in 2006 of $1.5M (now $1.75 for 2007) with a bonus of $2.8M and a stock award of $4M. There was additional deferred compensation of $4M and about $480K in other (airplane use, etc). All told: $13M. That's not a lot of money for the type of company being operated.

Compare that to Colgate-Palmolive, with $12B in revenue. CEO Reuben Mark made about $148M.

For those that insist on turning this into a morality argument, rather than a business observation, where should the righteous morality hammer be directed? Not ExxonMobil in my opinion.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

In the current political reality, an orangutan could be CEO and the company would still be very profitable.

Help me out here.

Just WTF do you mean here??
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

In the current political reality, an orangutan could be CEO and the company would still be very profitable.

Help me out here.

It's his MO...it has nothing to do with the economic conditions in place, it's the President's fault...or the VP's.
Make light!

Help me out here.

It's his MO...it has nothing to do with the economic conditions in place, it's the President's fault...or the VP's.

I would ask to see some kind of evidence that an orangutan could do as well but I know, considering the source of the claim, that such evidence would not be forth coming.

BTW, glad to hear your investment is doing well. :)

Well, it's small, and my portfolio isn't huge or very diverse (it's a ROTH IRA), but energy is an extremely good investment. My next big move with the IRA will likely be a mutual fund.
Make light!

I've had XOM for a while now. don't forget to look into other energy companies like Barry oil (BRY), Halliburton (HAL) and such. They both are coming out of the stock-split doldrums and starting to come up again.

And, Don't forget to diversify.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

"The current political reality", whatever that is supposed to mean, neglects the billions of dollars of investment that have been made over the past couple of decades by Exxon that have allowed them to capitalize on current oil prices. I can't say this for sure, but I have heard that no other oil company reinvests as much of its earnings back into exploration and production as ExxonMobil. Whoever is running that show has got to be worth quite a bit.

Its not like oil companies just go dig some random hole in the ground and $100 bills start poring out. They take huge risks with billions of dollars, and nobody sheds a tear for them when an investment turns out to be worthless, they just bitch about the ones that hit. Its especially grating when one thinks of what oil prices would be like right now if ExxonMobile hadn't been out there looking so hard for oil all these years.

But why let something like that get in the way of self-satisfying rhetorical masturbation?
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

"The current political reality", whatever that is supposed to mean, neglects the billions of dollars of investment that have been made over the past couple of decades by Exxon that have allowed them to capitalize on current oil prices. I can't say this for sure, but I have heard that no other oil company reinvests as much of its earnings back into exploration and production as ExxonMobil. Whoever is running that show has got to be worth quite a bit.

That's correct. In fact, they do so at the expense of paying back in dividends to shareholders. Not all shareholders like it (there was a proposal in the proxy).
Make light!

>"The current political reality", whatever that is supposed to mean,
>neglects the billions of dollars of investment that have been made over
>the past couple of decades by Exxon that have allowed them to capitalize
>on current oil prices.

And the billions of dollars in tax breaks that allow them to be more profitable.

My proposal - make CDMA cellphone/satellite phone/ASIC manufacturing tax exempt. Then my company could prove that we are part of the hardest-working industry in the US, and that we make a better product than all those GSM manufacturers.

My proposal - make CDMA cellphone/satellite phone/ASIC manufacturing tax exempt. Then my company could prove that we are part of the hardest-working industry in the US, and that we make a better product than all those GSM manufacturers.

YEAH!! I'm tired of my technologically superior CDMA phone not working in those shitty 3rd world countries... like France. :P
Oh, hello again!

CEO R. Tillerson had a salary in 2006 of $1.5M (now $1.75 for 2007) with a bonus of $2.8M and a stock award of $4M. There was additional deferred compensation of $4M and about $480K in other (airplane use, etc). All told: $13M. That's not a lot of money for the type of company being operated.

Compare that to Colgate-Palmolive, with $12B in revenue. CEO Reuben Mark made about $148M.

Two thoughts on the question at hand.

1- Revenue shouldn't be the determinant for the comparison - either profit or ROI should be. Oil is a low margin business so you have to discount the revenue value a bit.

2- It's also a commodity, so it requires a different set of management/leadership skills than that of Google, locked in combat with Microsoft. Exxon and BP can both do very well, as can smaller oil companies. But in many industries, you're either a leader or you're out of business.

I'd also check the last couple annual statements to see if Mark exercised options while Tillerson decided to hold onto them. I doubt that Colgate gave him a 9 figure salary, and I doubt that Exxon doesn't give option grants.