SabreDave

Question for the gun folks?

Anyone here have experience with, or knowledge of a 10 or 12 gauge marine flare gun that will also SAFELY fire their equivalent ammunition?
This is something I have been trying to find but have had no luck. There must be something like this out there? Seems a logical thing to have when sailing open water in general but definately for certain areas of the world.
Anyway, it is a gift for someone I would like to find. Any info appreciated.
SabreDave

I had a gunsmith friend who used to make .357 and .44 Magnum barrels to drop into a 12 guage shotgun to fire those rounds instead of slugs. I'd imagine a 12 guage sleeve dropped into a 10 gauge flare gun would do the job. When entering a foreign port as long as the sleeve is kept somewhere else on the boat, I doubt the authorities would question you much, although the ammunition may cause a problem.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Thanks
Never even thought of that. That is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of.
ExAFO, nice unit but I don't want a weapon that I can't sail with to certain countries.
Looking for stealth, standard mariner gear that in a pinch could fire something real.
Basically something you could even roll into England with...........
SabreDave

Basically something you could even roll into England with...........

In the UK a flare gun or very pistol would be classified as a prohibited weapon, possession of which carries a mandatory five year prison sentence, as would possession of any ammunition. Importing one into the UK would be seen as a much more serious offence….

However single use distress flares and rockets are legal….
PH36 Canopy Formation Team.
www.skydive99.com
www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/PH36-Canopy-Formati

In the UK a flare gun or very pistol would be classified as a prohibited weapon, possession of which carries a mandatory five year prison sentence... However single use distress flares and rockets are legal….

So, boaters in peril have just one shot at being sighted and rescued, and if their one flare fails to be noticed, then they're doomed?

How many people have been murdered in England with flare guns?

In the UK a flare gun or very pistol would be classified as a prohibited weapon, possession of which carries a mandatory five year prison sentence... However single use distress flares and rockets are legal….

So, boaters in peril have just one shot at being sighted and rescued, and if their one flare fails to be noticed, then they're doomed?

17 in the 2 years alone - in each case, one boater fired off the flare and the rescue craft didn't spot it. The murder was the 2nd boater beating to death the first one with the spent flare tube for not having more than one in his boat.

A bill is in parliament next week proposing outlaw of 'spent flare tubes'.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So, boaters in peril have just one shot at being sighted and rescued, and if their one flare fails to be noticed, then they're doomed? How many people have been murdered in England with flare guns?

17 in the 2 years alone - in each case, one boater fired off the flare and the rescue craft didn't spot it. The murder was the 2nd boater beating to death the first one with the spent flare tube for not having more than one in his boat.

A bill is in parliament next week proposing outlaw of 'spent flare tubes'.

Ha! I think they should ban the private possession of boats.

This is just an educated guess on my part, since I haven't researched it. My guess is that Parliament's legislative intent (i.e., the policy reason behind the law) was a concern that a multi-use flare gun might be converted into a firearm as the OP has contemplated. Whether that's sensible is another issue.

who do you think will have the next school massacre? USA or England?

England has 1/5 the population of the US. The US could have 5 school massacres for every one in the UK and come out even.

But the world news gives extra airtime to the US. So everyone thinks it's disproportionate.

Amazing how that sampling error works, eh?

First Class Citizen Twice Over

England has 1/5 the population of the US. The US could have 5 school massacres for every one in the UK and come out even.

But the world news gives extra airtime to the US. So everyone thinks it's disproportionate.

Amazing how that sampling error works, eh?

Someon mark the date and time--Narci actually didn't shit on the US or anyone/anything not flamingly liberal for once...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

The UK doesn't want private citizens to have any weapon that the French may view as threatening and cause them to surrender....again. ;)

shall we have alittle side bet?

What are the gun laws like in Scotland?

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/d/du/dunblane_massacre.html

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Someon mark the date and time--Narci actually didn't shit on the US or anyone/anything not flamingly liberal for once...

Someone mark THIS date. ExAFO finally notices that I'm not the caricature he insists on thinking I am.

First Class Citizen Twice Over