Beerlight

Report: Credit card pitch to illegal immigrants

That is just plain wrong.

The US should be an even playing field.

We should not be favoring Illegals.

It's a free market economy......

At least if they can run up about 20 grand in CC debt they will be closer to the average American.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

>I'm against this offer by B of A.

A more careful read will reveal that the B of A offer is for people without social security cards. Many legal immigrants do not have social security cards; I know about a dozen. But "credit cards for illegal immigrants" sells more papers.

>I'm against this offer by B of A.

A more careful read will reveal that the B of A offer is for people without social security cards. Many legal immigrants do not have social security cards; I know about a dozen. But "credit cards for illegal immigrants" sells more papers.

details...details.....it's all in the details....B|

nonetheless, undocumented "workers" shall not be able to obtain a credit card w/o a social security #.

>undocumented "workers" shall not be able to obtain a credit card w/o a social security #.

But you think illegals with a SS# _should_ be able to?

I think illegal aliens should not be able to get credit cards, driver's licenses or home loans whether or not they have a SS#. Legal immigrants should be able to get all those things - again, whether or not they have a SS#.

holy crap Bill! I think your just busting my chops....B|

undocumented, illegal, non visa holding, etc..etc.....should not be able to get jack shhhhhhit.......

I have to disagree. Jack Shhhhhhit is ALL they should get.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/13/news/companies/bc.bofa.card.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007021306

I'm against this offer by B of A. Your an illegal and want credit? then enter the U.S. legally like the rest of us, then you can have credit.

Issuing credit is the decision of the individual corporation. If they want to give credit to people with no SSN, that's their business, but I think it's probably a bad business decision, primarily due to the lack of reliable credit checks and reporting.

Issuing credit is the decision of the individual corporation. If they want to give credit to people with no SSN, that's their business, but I think it's probably a bad business decision..

Might be a USA PATRIOT Act violation...
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

And I just received this e-mail from BoA this morning:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your inquiry dated 2/13/07 regarding Credit Cards. We
appreciate the opportunity to service your banking needs.

I completely understand your concern, and want to thank
you for taking time to speak with us regarding the article you read/saw.
Bank of America prides itself on looking for innovative ways to extend
credit to individuals who have demonstrated sound financial management
but may be challenged with building their credit histories. This
assessment of our applicants not only applies to the groups that were
cited in the articles you have read/seen, but to others who experience
the same challenges, such as life-long cash users, and those who have
established credit histories and are in the process of rebuilding
credit. I want to reassure you that we look to approve all applicants
within strict adherence to any government guidance provided and want to
provide products that will build and contribute to their quality of
life.

We value you as a customer and appreciate your business. If we may be
of further assistance, please contact us again by e-mail. Thank you for
choosing Bank of America.

Sincerely,

Bank of America

Issuing credit is the decision of the individual corporation. If they want to give credit to people with no SSN, that's their business, but I think it's probably a bad business decision..

Might be a USA PATRIOT Act violation...

These days, smuggling toothpaste onto an airplane is a patriot act violation.

Smuggling toothpaste into France has always been a serious crime.

No, that would be soap. Toothpaste is banned in the UK...:D:D

*runs and ducks*

Just joking with you guys across the pond... :D:D:)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Here is an email I received the other day. I'm glad I stopped banking with them before getting this. -

STATE OF AFFAIRS

A conversation between a Customer and Bank of America Bank: "This is the Bank of America, can I help you?"

Customer: "Yes, I want to cancel my account. I don't want to do business with you any longer."

Bank: "Why?"

Customer: "You're giving credit to illegal immigrants and I don't think it's right. I'm taking my business elsewhere."

Bank: "Well, Mr. Customer, we don't want to see you do that, but we can't stop you. I'll help you close the account. What is your account number?"

Customer: (gives account number)

Bank: "For security purposes and for your protection, can you please give me the last four digits of your social security number?"

Customer: "No."

Bank: "Mr. Customer, I need to verify your information, but in order to help you, I'll need verification of who you are."

Customer: "Why should I give you my social security number? The reason I'm closing my account is that your bank is issuing credit cards to illegal immigrants who don't have social security numbers. You are targeting that audience and want their business. Let's say I'm an illegal immigrant and you've given me a credit card. I have a question about it and call for assistance. You wouldn't be asking me for a Social Security number, would you?"

Bank: "No sir, I wouldn't."

Customer: "Why not?"

Bank: "Because you would have pressed '2' to speak in Spanish. We don't ask for that information when calling in on the Spanish line."

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Here is an email I received the other day. I'm glad I stopped banking with them before getting this. -

STATE OF AFFAIRS

A conversation between a Customer and Bank of America Bank: "This is the Bank of America, can I help you?"

Customer: "Yes, I want to cancel my account. I don't want to do business with you any longer."

Customer: "You're giving credit to illegal immigrants and I don't think it's right. I'm taking my business elsewhere."

Bank: "Well, Mr. Customer, we don't want to see you do that, but we can't stop you. I'll help you close the account. What is your account number?"

Bank: "For security purposes and for your protection, can you please give me the last four digits of your social security number?"

Bank: "Mr. Customer, I need to verify your information, but in order to help you, I'll need verification of who you are."

Customer: "Why should I give you my social security number? The reason I'm closing my account is that your bank is issuing credit cards to illegal immigrants who don't have social security numbers. You are targeting that audience and want their business. Let's say I'm an illegal immigrant and you've given me a credit card. I have a question about it and call for assistance. You wouldn't be asking me for a Social Security number, would you?"

Bank: "Because you would have pressed '2' to speak in Spanish. We don't ask for that information when calling in on the Spanish line."

That discriminates against illegals from Poland, Ireland, Australia, Britain, Italy, India...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

STATE OF AFFAIRS

That discriminates against illegals from Poland, Ireland, Australia, Britain, Italy, India...

Loks to me like, since we have an abundance of Spanish speaking illegals living here, they are an un-tapped source of money, there for the pickin's of banks and big business. Seems like, there is a lot of 'selling' going on geared to Spanish speakers. As you said, that is discriminatory toward illegals/legals from other countries as well as those 'natural born' citizens.

Chuck