warpedskydiver

Cop on Cop Violence

NYPD Officer Arrested in Shooting of Cop
Sunday, February 11, 2007 3:59 AM EST
The Associated Press
By DAVID B. CARUSO

NEW YORK (AP) — An undercover police officer had been shot, and police were hunting for the suspect's vehicle. They soon found it — with another officer behind the wheel, police said.

The driver, Officer Jacqueline Melendez-Rivera, quickly became a subject Saturday of an investigation by the force on which she has served for 13 years.

As police pieced together an account of the early morning shootout on a Brooklyn street, Melendez-Rivera's husband, Jose Rivera, was arrested for attempted murder and other charges. Officer Melendez-Rivera was accused of helping to cover up the crime.

The wounded officer, Andrew Suarez, was in serious but stable condition early Sunday at a local hospital, police said. Struck in the back, he was expected to make a full recovery, according to police.

The violent confrontation unfolded in Brooklyn's Park Slope section. Investigators said Suarez and three fellow plainclothes officers, who were on a routine anti-crime watch, pulled their unmarked car over to get a closer look at a vehicle driving behind them. That vehicle then slowed alongside the officers.

The driver leaned across the body of a male passenger, shouted "You got a beef?" and fired a shot at Suarez, who was driving the unmarked police car, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. The bullet traveled underneath Suarez' bulletproof vest, through his back and lodged in his neck. A second shot may also have been fired, Kelly said.

The three officers with Suarez returned fire, blasting at least 13 shots before the other vehicle sped away, Kelly said.

Shortly afterward, police stopped a vehicle matching the description of the one that had carried the attackers. They found Melendez-Rivera driving it, Kelly said.

Just what the officer was doing with the car, 1 1/2 miles from the crime scene, was unclear, Kelly said before the arrests. Authorities said then that they did not believe the 37-year-old officer was present for the shooting.

Her husband and another man were later detained at the couple's nearby home. Police said they later recovered a loaded 9mm handgun in a yard on the same block.

Melendez-Rivera, who was suspended from duty, was arrested on charges of hindering prosecution, tampering with evidence, obstructing governmental administration and unlawful possession of marijuana, police said.

Her 31-year-old husband was arrested on charges of attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment, defacing a firearm, tampering with evidence, menacing and criminal possession of marijuana, police said.

There was no listed telephone number at the couple's address, and a police spokesman said he had no information on whether the couple had lawyers. A spokesman for the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association said he was uncertain whether any of the group's lawyers were representing Melendez-Rivera.

Meanwhile, Mayor Michael Bloomberg met with the injured officer at the hospital Saturday morning and said he was in good spirits.

"We joked and we laughed," Bloomberg said. "We're just lucky this wasn't an awful lot worse."

Suarez was appointed to the force in 2003 and is assigned to the 78th precinct. He was the first city police officer shot this year, and the third wounded by gunfire since October.

"Let us pray that it's the last," Bloomberg said.

To bad they all didn't kill each other.:)

What the hell is your problem? You want good cops working to protect you to die? You want scumbags shooting LEOs?

Fuck off.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Why all the animosity? huh runaway???? why do you have to be so damned nasty????

I have friends who are cops and they are damned good people, of course there are some criminals and asshats with badges, but you want all cops dead??? WOW

And people think I am harsh!!!!!:S:S:S

Why is the outcry from police officers everywhere?

A scumbag cop shooting another cop(which he thought a civilian) should really bother the shit out of anyone.

Think about it...youre driving along and someone pulls up asks if you have a beef and tries killing you for no apparent reason...and THEN you find out its another cop!!!!

WTF is wrong with this picture?

Please tell me as a cop is the one who pointed out this story to me.

in his words: "these fucks make me sick, no wonder we get shot at."

This is why I dispise misleading titles. The ambiguous title used by the media is bad enough, but your original title was totally incorrect. No cop shot at another cop in this incident. It was the scumbag husband of a female cop who shot at the undercover officer. (makes you wonder what conclusion you can draw about the wife/cop)
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Oh, I'm not saying it's never happened, but it's rare and usually based on mistaken identities (e.g. and undercover and an offduty shoot out).

In this case it was a scum bag who shot at someone on the street, who happened to be an undercover, and his POS wife, who happens to be an soon-to-be ex-cop, tried to cover it up for him. Honestly, what kind of cop is married to a person who opens fire over getting "dissed" while driving?
witty subliminal message
1*

To bad they all didn't kill each other.:)

What the hell is your problem? You want good cops working to protect you to die? You want scumbags shooting LEOs?

Fuck off.

I think the cops are the scumbags. I hate fuckin cops. And I protect myself. I don't need no stinking cops. Fuck off yourself asshole. I can't count the times i've been beat by you fuckin assholes:P
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Oh, I'm not saying it's never happened, but it's rare and usually based on mistaken identities (e.g. and undercover and an offduty shoot out).

In this case it was a scum bag who shot at someone on the street, who happened to be an undercover, and his POS wife, who happens to be an soon-to-be ex-cop, tried to cover it up for him. Honestly, what kind of cop is married to a person who opens fire over getting "dissed" while driving?

What kind of cops fire 41 bullets into a guy armed only with a wallet?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What kind of cops fire 41 bullets into a guy armed only with a wallet?

The kind that think private citizens should not be allowed own firearms in this country.

Try again - their excuse was that they thought he DID have a firearm. (38 calibre wallet).

Kallend, your a reasonable guy. Don't fall into the trap of thinking all cops are the same.

This incident sounds like its either bullshit or utterly disgraceful. Could it be that there was actually a disagreement and someone felt int fear? I know its not quite as good a story. If it is correct then the cop should be locked up for a long time as should the partner. We don't want crooked cops. They undermine everything any other LEO ever does and break down public trust. I quite like the fact that over here dodgy cops get more severe sentances than an average member of the public in the same circumstances

Most pistol fghting courses teach officers to shoot the target down. You can empty the magazine on a glock in the time it takes to say "Oh shit!"

Tough on unarmed law abiding folks who just happen to be in the way.

I agree with you ethically, but reaching into one's pants when confronted by any armed opponent is stupid, unless you intend to fight.

I was at a shooting where the officer told the subject to put his hands up (the guy had warrants and fled from a vehicle stop. Shot him right through his hand and abdomen (one shot) the guy was reaching for a big bag of crack.

I agree with you ethically, but reaching into one's pants when confronted by any armed opponent is stupid, unless you intend to fight.

Why would a law abiding unarmed individual consider a cop to be an "opponent"? Isn't that EXACTLY the wrong attitide for cops to encourage?

John, when a cop pulls you over it's a bad idea to lunge under your seat or to the glove box.

When a cop tells you to stop and put your hands up in the air, it's a bad idea to "furtively" and quickly reach iinto one's waistband or pocket.

There's a school of thought that cops should take the first round to establish that the "opponent" or person of interest is actually armed, but it has been discredited.

A suspect becomes an opponent when they refuse to obey a lawful order. Yes, people can use force to resist an officer's unlawful and excessive force. That's not what I'm talking about here.

Out.