warpedskydiver

Warrants Issued in Germany Kidnapping

Warrants Issued in Germany Kidnapping
Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:16 AM EST
The Associated Press
By DAVID RISING

BERLIN (AP) — Arrest warrants were issued for 13 people in connection with the alleged CIA-orchestrated kidnapping of a German citizen in the agency's extraordinary rendition program, a Munich prosecutor said Wednesday.

Prosecutor Christian Schmidt-Sommerfeld told The Associated Press that the warrants were issued in the "last few days" against the "13 alleged kidnappers" on suspicion of false imprisonment and serious bodily harm in connection with the kidnapping of Khaled al-Masri, a German citizen of Lebanese descent.

None of the suspects were identified. However, Schmidt-Sommerfeldt said in a later statement that "the personal details contained in the arrest warrants are, according to our current knowledge, aliases of CIA agents."

"Further investigation will, among other things, concentrate on trying to determine the clear identities of the suspects," he added.

Germany's NDR television released a list of the names of the 13 — 11 men and two women — it said its reporters had obtained. It said three had been contacted, but that all had refused comment.

Al-Masri has said he was abducted in December 2003 at the Serbian-Macedonia border and flown by the CIA to a detention center in Kabul, Afghanistan, where he was abused. He has said he was released in Albania in May 2004 after the CIA discovered they had the wrong person.

Schmidt-Sommerfeld said prosecutors were led to the 13 suspects after receiving a list in Dec. 2005 of possible people involved in the kidnapping compiled by a Spanish journalist from sources within the country's Civil Guard, a paramilitary police unit that answers to the Interior Ministry.

With help from Spanish authorities, they were then able pursue an investigation against "concrete persons," Schmidt-Sommerfeld said.

Tips were also received from others, including the Milan prosecutors office and Dick Marty, a Swiss senator who led an inquiry into CIA renditions on behalf of the Council of Europe. Schmidt-Sommerfeld did not elaborate on what the tips were.

When Munich prosecutors said last year they were investigating a list of names, German media reported that Spanish authorities were probing the identities of the people they suspect flew aboard a Boeing 737 from the island of Palma de Mallorca on Dec. 24, 2003, to pick up al-Masri after he had been detained by Macedonian authorities.

ARD public television reported that investigators worked from passport photocopies made by a hotel where the suspects stayed. The report gave what it said were the cover names of three men who were pilots and lived in North Carolina.

In October, Munich prosecutors said that based on the list, they were seeking to ban several CIA agents suspected of kidnapping al-Masri from entering German territory. They did not elaborate.

The al-Masri case has been a sore point in otherwise good German-U.S. relations.

The U.S. Justice Department has declined to provide Munich prosecutors assistance, citing ongoing legal proceedings in the United States.

Al-Masri has asked a federal appeals court in Richmond, Va., to reinstate a lawsuit he filed against the CIA. A judge dismissed the lawsuit in May, ruling that a trial could harm national security by revealing details about CIA activities.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and other U.S. officials have declined to address the case. However, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said the United States has acknowledged making a mistake with him.

Nice huh?

Our German komraden at it again...:S

Uhm... if German agents had kidnapped an American citizen would you think it was crazy for the US to issue arrest warrants?
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

They would probably not post their pictures and names on the television news, along with where they live.

Al Masri was not some ordinary law abiding citizen, was he even a German National?

It doesn't matter, you can not do what they did. If they had to apprehend the individual they should have informed and obtained consent from the local government.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

They would probably not post their pictures and names on the television news, along with where they live.

Why not? Anyhow, they haven't:

All the names on the warrants are aliases...

... so that point is moot.

Al Masri was not some ordinary law abiding citizen...

That is a bold statement. How do you know?

.., was he even a German National?

Indeed (same link).

Btw you didn't answer my question...

Are you sure there was not some behind the door agreement to extract his ass off german soil?

Think any politician would own up to it?

Do you think we don't have operations constantly running in germany and vice versa?

Oh for God's sake. Read the article you posted yourself.

Al Masri was not some ordinary law abiding citizen, was he even a German National?

Didn't read you own post, eh?

the kidnapping of Khaled al-Masri, a German citizen

Would you approve if British agents turned up in Illinois and kidnapped you?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Are you sure there was not some behind the door agreement to extract his ass off german soil?

Think any politician would own up to it?

If there was an agreement then America should be able to provide proof of the agreement.

Do you think we don't have operations constantly running in germany and vice versa?

No, I think we probably do. However, there is a difference between passive and aggressive intelligence gathering.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Khaled al-Masri, a German citizen of Lebanese descent.

Al-Masri has said he was abducted in December 2003 at the Serbian-Macedonia border

Next time at least try reading the article you posted, hey?

Edit: Actually that last one might be too harsh, maybe you just needed to look at a map:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Didn't read you own post, eh?

the kidnapping of Khaled al-Masri, a German citizen

Only if they question me by forcing hot women upon me and filling my belly with their truth serum (tetley's ale)

Just how do you suppose that Al Masri came up on the CIA's radar and to the point of meriting an operation to extract him and question him at such length?

BTW if they only wanted him dead he would have been dead.

He must have had information they wanted.

Would this be the same CIA that the right likes to blame for providing "bad intel" to Bush and the Congress over Iraqi WMDs?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just how do you suppose that Al Masri came up on the CIA's radar and to the point of meriting an operation to extract him and question him at such length?

BTW if they only wanted him dead he would have been dead.

He must have had information they wanted.

Would this be the same CIA that the right likes to blame for providing "bad intel" to Bush and the Congress over Iraqi WMDs?

Same pants, different pocket.

Only if they question me by forcing hot women upon me and filling my belly with their truth serum (tetley's ale)

I had the same response. All British agents are like Heather Graham and Beyonce Knowles (from the Austin Powers movies)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

BTW I already look like Dr. Evil...only a bit larger.;)

c

the only larger character that remotely looked like Dr Evil was Fat Bastard.

Do you really want to go and admit that on a public forum.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back ..... ribs

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We call it Amber Alert, and we don't wait for the outcome of an investigation to do it.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I had the same response. All British agents are like Heather Graham and Beyonce Knowles (from the Austin Powers movies)

Weren't they both CIA agents?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?