Michele

Liberalism in the Classroom (Long, but I need your opinion)

One other thing you might want to consider is apologizing to your professor. Without get into particulars, you could offer something along the lines of "I thought we had a pretty good relationship and I want to apologize for any part I played in turning it into a confrontational one". If he replies with criticisms... let them slide.

NC, thanks for that. You're right...and I went ahead and emailed him a moment ago. Here is what I sent over...

"Hi, Professor:

Friday's episode has been bothering me, and I wanted to take a brief moment to email you this morning. I thought we had a pretty good relationship and I want to apologize for any part I played in turning it into a confrontational one. It wasn't (and isn't) my intent to have a confrontational relationship with anyone, and again, I am sorry for any part I played in developing that.

With that, I am back to studying, and I'll see you this afternoon.

Regards-
Michele"

If he responds, I'll post it up. If not, well, we'll see what happens this afternoon in class.

Thanks again for the wording, and for the suggestion. Let's see how this goes. And now, I have to review pH factoring and buffer identification...[:/]:|

Ciels-
Michele

YOUR FUCKING WELCOME. I suggested this on the first page as I recall, at least way back there. So you kinda support your prof's theory about political divide, as you wouldn't take the same advice from me. Just saying NClimber is a conservative, not a neo-con or anything, we don't have of those here.

Or that this asswipe should learn to keep his political crap to himself ...

Unless it was conservative rhetoric, right????

Lucky, quit taking things I say out of context...
you read my statements and therefore you know I meant ANY political ranting.

You might, at best, protest with a 5-second whisper if a prof espoused con rhetoric, but loudly and vehimently for lib rhetoric. Be real

So, there was a decidedly toned down Professor tonight...after the exam (which was decidedly tough!), he taught us how to pronouce nuclear correctly, and then proceeded to teach us how to make a suitcase nuke (who knew they were that easy??), fusion, fission, the different, the reasons for; went over E=MC2, and had us calculate a bunch of things in 14Carbon (and agreed that 14C was not useful in some circumstances...) and then dismissed the class.

He sort of hung around me while I was packing up, and asked if I had gotten his response to his email. I told him, no, I'd been at school since about 2:30, and he said to read it when I got home.

"Michele,

I was going to talk to you today about this, but, because you opened the e-mail dialog first, I'll continue it.

I also wanted to apologize to you about the events of last Friday. I ended the conversation because, to me, it seemed to be going in circles and I didn't want to waste either of our time or see it escalate any further.

My comments to [other student] were not directed toward your academic work in any way. We had a "discussion" about the role of the Supreme Court vs. Congress and I was pointing out to her what the Constitution actually states, which is what I also showed you. In hindsight, perhaps I shouldn't have made the comment. But what is done is done and I am sincere in wanting to apologize and normalize things between us.

I can discuss this with you later today or tomorrow if you choose. "

I will be more than happy to have a conversation with him tomorrow...I think it will go well, at this point. I'm not sure there's altogether that much left to say, but...hey, why not. I emailed him I'd be happy to talk to him either during lab or after class, whatever was his preference.

And I owe NC Climber a beer - thanks for the wording, and the gentle push. Now, I'm going to relax for a bit. It's amazing what making a sincere apology, and receiving one, will do to ease the stress. Now I'm going to have a drink.

(Good lord, Lucky, thank you, too....I'm only singling out NC because he gave me the wording...something I needed. But THANK YOU, TOO! Geesh!)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

think some companies might also be political institutions. I interviewed with a defense contractor recently, and, well, you know what my political views are and what can set me off in a split second.

One interviewer said something about Iran and nukes and I followed through with what a crappy president we have. Didnt get selected for the second round of interviews, but didnt want to work there anyway. if I kept my mouth shut during the interview and got the job, it would all eventually come out sooner or later.

Just in case you just graduated yesterday,

1) Learn basic interviews skills
2) Don't apply for jobs with defense contractors
3) Keep your political views to yourself at work

political views are irrelevant even in the defense industry..

we (contractors) make TOOLS... politicians decide how/when they are used.
unless you are a complete pacifist your political views shouldnt matter at all..however there is a time and a place to express them..

a good portion of the people I work with (many many prior service, as well as 'pure' engineers, software types etc) are disgusted with the how this war has been conducted, but that doesn't prevent us from doing our work to the highest standards, or ensuring that the troops who use/need our products have the best training available. Anything less would be unprofessional.

in relation to Michelle's issue, I agree with everyone who says keep it out of the class room.. while you teacher is clearly demonstrating unprofessional behavior, you DONT have to engage him at all, particularly as he is teaching a 'hard science' there is no interpretation to worry about.. write him off, do your best, and get on with your life when you no longer have to deal with him...

I don't need thanks, just substantiating his general point: conservatives hang together. I'm probably a lot closer to his age than yours and I've played the game you're in now several, several times, sometimes on purpose. Going from a realtionship starting at 8 only gives you room for an improvement of 2, going from a start of 4 gives you a lot more room for improvement, as everything is relative.

Not that it matters to this point, but factually he is also correct it sounds to me, libs usaally are as they back things up with empirical data rather than, "Jesus said....." His approach is evidence of that as is the approach of most dialogue here on DZ.

Rubbish?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A15606-2004Nov26?language=printer

The great secret is out: Liberals dominate campuses. Coming soon: "Moon Implicated in Tides, Studies Find."

One study of 1,000 professors finds that Democrats outnumber Republicans at least seven to one in the humanities and social sciences. That imbalance, more than double what it was three decades ago, is intensifying because younger professors are more uniformly liberal than the older cohort that is retiring.

Another study, of voter registration records, including those of professors in engineering and the hard sciences, found nine Democrats for every Republican at Berkeley and Stanford. Among younger professors, there were 183 Democrats, six Republicans.

About what I'd expect for well educated folks trained in critical thinking.:P

Or those successfully 'brought into the fold" with the last few decades of indoctrination throughout their schooling, perhaps?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Oh yes they do. As I wrote, WMD = chemicals and how the governments react. Perhaos the usable life of the chems, etc....

Bullshit - show me how religion or politics changes a chemical reaction and I'll cede the point.

Who distributes the chemicals to whom? What they do with them? What teh shelf life is in relation to which countries tiring of that country. It is really a convoluted mess.

A better example of politics and science would be your hero and stem cell research. So, politics and science have no correlation, huh? Never did address the Mendell or Darwin cite.

Again, bullshit - religion and politics have no effect on the combination of oxygen and hydrogen to create water. Keep the politics out of the classroom unless you're teaching a political science class.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One other thing you might want to consider is apologizing to your professor. Without get into particulars, you could offer something along the lines of "I thought we had a pretty good relationship and I want to apologize for any part I played in turning it into a confrontational one". If he replies with criticisms... let them slide.

NC, thanks for that. You're right...and I went ahead and emailed him a moment ago. Here is what I sent over...

"Hi, Professor:

Friday's episode has been bothering me, and I wanted to take a brief moment to email you this morning. I thought we had a pretty good relationship and I want to apologize for any part I played in turning it into a confrontational one. It wasn't (and isn't) my intent to have a confrontational relationship with anyone, and again, I am sorry for any part I played in developing that.

With that, I am back to studying, and I'll see you this afternoon.

Regards-
Michele"

If he responds, I'll post it up. If not, well, we'll see what happens this afternoon in class.

Thanks again for the wording, and for the suggestion. Let's see how this goes. And now, I have to review pH factoring and buffer identification...[:/]:|

Ciels-
Michele

YOUR FUCKING WELCOME. I suggested this on the first page as I recall, at least way back there. So you kinda support your prof's theory about political divide, as you wouldn't take the same advice from me. Just saying NClimber is a conservative, not a neo-con or anything, we don't have of those here.

You know, lucky... you write your own personal treatise on conservatives on campuse and how a savy student like yourself deals with professors. Then... way down at the bottom you offer some caustic advice on apologizing.

Maybe the reason my post rang true for Michele had to do with the tone and content of my post. Maybe that's the same reason your's didn't. Tone and Content.

What is it with chemistry instructors. My Chem101 instructor was the sponsor of the Bowling Team (yes, you read that right) and we heard more about bowling than chemistry.

Finally, we, as a class, had to stop him so everytime he started going off about bowling one of us would stand up and say, "I paid good money to learn chemistry. Get off the bowling shit and get back to chemistry." It would work for about 10 minutes and then somebody else would have to stand up.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

How could you? That show is great. Not a PA andnot inferring you, but I could see an antisemite hate the show, but hell, now that Richards is out as a racist, hell, a racist could watch it for that!!!

how can you stand up straight with so many chips on your shoulder?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I wouldn't worry too much about how he will grade your tests. H2 is still hydrogen, O2 is still oxygen,

Sorry to nitpick, Willard, but H is Hydrogen and O is Oxygen. H2 and O2 are the diatomic ways that H and O are found in our atmosphere.

Again, sorry to nitpick, but I have a pint of Murphy's Stout riding on this:)

Well - that depends on whether or not you are referring to them in "standard state", as you would in chemical thermodynamics. The defined "standard state" for hydrogen is H2, and for oxygen is O2. Hence the enthalpy, entropy and free energy of formation of H2O is measured from H2 and O2 as the starting point.
:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Maybe the reason my post rang true for Michele had to do with the tone and content of my post. Maybe that's the same reason your's didn't. Tone and Content.

Bingo.

As for politics being relevant to basic chemistry, it's not. I don't know enough Chemistry to understand the political ramifications of X or Y, and neither do those in my class. This is NOT a class wherein politics mixes well...perhaps in some of the upper level chem it would be appropriate, but basic chem in 5 weeks doesn't lend itself well to political discussions within the context of the classroom at this level.

Ciels-
Michele

Bingo.

not at all -

Lucky pretty much said you should apologize to the prof because the prof's digressions were totally correct and you are a right wing tool. and, BTW, the US system sucks.

NCclimber said you should apologize because this has nothing to do with chemistry and the confrontation just isn't worth it.

at least that's how I saw the posts (from the perspective of memory and about a billion posts in this thing so far).

Edit: I'm glad the prof answered in a grown up way. Likely, just as you are worried about some political left wing nutjob punishing you in grades because you don't rotespeak his party line: He is just as likely worried about some political right wing nutjob student suing him and the school over some freedom of speech thing because he doesn't rotespeak her party line.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

NCclimber said you should apologize because this has nothing to do with chemistry and the confrontation just isn't worth it.

Tone and content, Rehmwa, tone and content.. Thus the bingo.

As for the edit...I'm not so sure you're right...I don't think I'd bother with any sort of legal action...if necessarily, I'd retake chemistry, and go from there on to the rest of my education. I don't want to do that...and am busting my bottom here this last week (Finals on Friday), so as long as I don't get dinged unfairly, then I should be fine.

The conversation tonight will likely consist of both of us verbalizing apologies, and making nice-nice. As I said in the first post, I actually like this guy, and have many friends on different sides on the political fence. I was talking to a friend of mine, and he was surprised to hear I'm "republican," as he'd thought I was democrat. LOL, and he's a liberal democrat.

Ciels-
Michele

Bingo.

As for politics being relevant to basic chemistry, it's not. I don't know enough Chemistry to understand the political ramifications of X or Y, and neither do those in my class. This is NOT a class wherein politics mixes well...perhaps in some of the upper level chem it would be appropriate, but basic chem in 5 weeks doesn't lend itself well to political discussions within the context of the classroom at this level.

Ciels-
Michele

I guess I'm not happy with this. I **assume** that Chemistry is a "general education" requirement at your college, and as such it is there to assure that college graduates have a level of basic education sufficient to be well informed citizens regardless of their actual major. Since chemistry is SO central to many political decisions right now, I think that some political considerations in which chemistry plays a part ought to be involved even in an intro course.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Bingo.

Ciels-
Michele

I guess I'm not happy with this. I **assume** that Chemistry is a "general education" requirement at your college, and as such it is there to assure that college graduates have a level of basic education sufficient to be well informed citizens regardless of their actual major. Since chemistry is SO central to many political decisions right now, I think that some political considerations in which chemistry plays a part ought to be involved even in an intro course.

???? When did Chemistry QUIT being a hard science and become a social sciences course???

Looks like "The Rape of Alma Mater" is completed...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I understand your point, Kallend, and I think that politics and chemistry do mix. Just not at this level. Especially on a winter intersession, where it's a total of 5 weeks, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week...

I mean, it's the most basic chemistry class...we're discussing simple and basic things like balancing chem. equations, double replacements, conversion formulas, moles/molarity/molar mass, and things like that.

If I were to equate it to an english class, it's less English 101 as it is learning the alphabet and reading See Jane Run. Sure, it'd be more exciting to see Jane run away from, say, Al Quaida, but if you don't know what running is, you'll have no concept, let alone introducing the complications of what AQ is, let alone the reason Jane would consider running from them.

In the higher divisions of chemistry, fine; let's talk about how GW impacts thw world and what CO2 really does. Right now, we're just trying to figure out how O2 produces CO2...

That's my position, at least. You might disagree, but that's all right.

Ciels-
Michele

As for the edit...I'm not so sure you're right...

Him "worrying" about some action has no relation on whether you'd go that way.

I was just noting that him apologizing back might be analogous to you apologizing to him to just diffuse the situation. And in writing even.